- Text Size +
Jo ran through the halls of the hospital back to the waiting room. She flung the door open with a big smile on her face.

“She’s here. They’ve got a beautiful baby girl!” Laughing and crying at the same time, she threw herself down on the couch next to Alex and looked around the room at the rest of the people that were gathered. They were all smiling, but Jo saw a glimpse of sadness in Kevin’s eyes. Kristin was the only one missing, but Jo really couldn’t blame her. She felt so sorry for the two of them that wanted a baby so desperately, but just couldn’t have one.

“So Nick’s a daddy now... Wow. I can’t really believe that that big baby is gonna raise another human being.” Kevin shook his head with a laugh. “I’m really happy for the both of them though. I think he’ll rise to the occasion.”

“He’s done a lot of growing up this last year. I think he’ll be a magnificent dad. And Lina’s probably already loving the mummy-gig.” Brian smiled, always ready to defend his partner in crime.

“He cried,” Jo said, smiling at the memory.

“Of course he did. Hell, when Baylee was born I cried louder than he did. It’s a true miracle.” Brian took Leighanne’s hand. “And it humbles me, when I remember what my beautiful wife went through for our sake. For his sake, and for Ella’s. She gave them life, and all I could do was wipe her forehead and hold her hand. It’s amazing, but I’ve never felt more unnecessary.”

“Aww, baby.” Leigh kissed him on the cheek. “If you hadn’t been there, who could I have cursed at and who’s hand could I have almost broken? You were very necessary.” She giggled a little. “So, did they say when we could come see them?”

“Nope, I guess they’ll come for us.”


Just as Jo finished her sentence, Nick poked his head through the door. He walked in with an incredibly proud look on his face, and was greeted with hugs and kisses and congratulations.

“So, how does it feel?” Alex asked as he put his arms around him.

“You saw Titanic, right?”

“Yeah?” he said, a puzzled look on his face.

Nick let him go, and stretched his arms out. “I’m the king of the world!!! WOHOOO!”

Everyone laughed, and Alex took out five cigars. “I say we go out, just us men, and smoke these and celebrate your kingishness.”

“Awesome idea!”

Jo looked at him with a giggle. “Just you men.” She shook her head. “You do that. I’m gonna go call Lina’s mum.”

Nick looked at her. “Yeah, right, that’s why I came. She asked me to ask you if you could.” He shrugged. “Kinda got lost in all this happy-fog that’s clouding my brain.”

Jo stood up and kissed his cheek. “I understand. Go light some happy-cigars and celebrate. Then we’ll all go watch the little miracle. Do you have a name for her yet?”

“Nope, not yet. We’ll have to talk about that later.” He was pulled away towards the exit, and Jo left Leighanne to go find a phone.


“Congratulations Grandma!”

“What?”

“Congratulations Grandma. Lina had her baby just half an hour ago.”

“Jo, are you kidding me? She’s not due for another couple of... Oh my god. Is she ok? Is the baby ok?”

“They’re both fine. The baby’s a bit on the tiny side, but she’ll be fine, and Lina... She’s just glowing. She’s so happy!”

“And Nick?”

Jo laughed. “He’s the king of the world right now. He was so happy he cried during the delivery... It was amazing. She asked me to be in there with them, so I held her hand while she pushed. My fingers are still really sore. She’s got a good grip.”

Lina’s mother laughed. “That’s my girl. Have they decided on a name yet?”

“No, not yet. I think they’re both a bit overwhelmed right now, and if we don’t want her to grow up as ‘Baby Lick’, I don’t think we should push them.”

Another laugh came from the other end, and Jo smiled.

“We’re gonna go in to see her soon, I hope, and I’ll tell her to call you as soon as she can.”

“You do that. I can’t believe I’m not there to be a part of this. But I’ll be there for your wedding, so I guess I’ll have to be patient. But Jo, take pictures. Lots of them!”

“Of course! I guess you wanna call the new Auntie, so I’m not gonna keep you anymore.”

“You’re right. Tell her I love her so, Jo. Please.”

“You know I will. Take care!”

She hung up and walked back to the waiting room. The guys arrived just as she did, together with an overwhelming smell of cigars, making Jo turn on her heel and rush for the bathroom.


'Oh, Joanna, we’re in trouble now...' she thought to herself as she rinsed her mouth with water and washed the sweat off her face. A smile curled her lips as she put both of her hands on her upset stomach. 'I had this sneaking suspicion, but I thought I was just imagining it. But now I know. I’m sure. I’ve never been more sure of anything in my entire life. We’re having a baby as well. This is frickin’ insane!'


Fifteen minutes later she sat at the foot of Lina’s bed watching Alex holding the tiny baby in his arms and ever so gently touching her cheek. He smiled down at the unfocused blue eyes and lifted the hat to see her silky brown hair. She got a lump in her throat, and had to bite her lip to keep herself from crying. In seven months, he’d hopefully be holding their baby like that... A tiny person, just for them to love and raise. She got up and walked over to him, kneeling beside him and kissing the baby’s cheek.

“She’s... she’s just gorgeous. She’s got your nose, Lina, and Nick’s mouth.” Carefully she took the baby from Alex, and smiled down at the tiny bundle in her arms. “Hello there! I’m your aunt Jo, and I’m gonna do everything I can to spoil you rotten.” She felt tears well up in her eyes again, but this time she let them fall, as she gave the baby to Howie and sat down on Lina’s bed again, putting her arms around her friend.

“She’s amazing, Lina. Absolutely amazing!”

A sly, proud smile came over Lina’s face. “Don’t you think I know that already, Jo?” They both broke down both laughing and crying.