- Text Size +

Chapter 10

Nick stared at her in surprise. This was not what he had expected but he was glad she still loved him. Then he realized Elena was still waiting for him to say something. He looked at her.

"Are you sure you want to do that?" He asked concerned.

"Yes," She answered strongly, "This is exactly what I want."

"Does this have anything to do with me?" He didn't want her to quit because of him.

Elena looked at him with a steady gaze. "Partly," she answered truthfully, "but I was thinking about it even before you came back into my life."

"Elena if you are sure about this, then I will give you all of my support, but I want you to do whatever makes you happy."

She thanked and hugged him. "Now," she said, "What is it that you wanted to talk to me about?"

He took a deep breath and led her to the couch. He sat down next to her, and then he took her hand in his own. He gazed deep into her eyes and then began speaking.

"Elena, when I first saw you, I felt something...something that I have never felt before. It confused me, it scared me but it wouldn't go away. I realized that... that was the feeling of true love. I knew then that no matter what happened with us, I would always love you. And Elena, I do love you." He paused for a moment. "Elena Produnova, will you marry me?"

Elena could not believe all of what she just heard. Everything was just so unreal. Nick wanted to marry her. She felt if like she was in a dream and she never wanted to wake up again. She looked at him.

"Yes, Nick. Yes, I will marry you."

He blinked then jumped up and pulled her up with him swinging her around the room shouting for his joy. She laughed at him but was as excited and as joyful as he was.

"We have to plan the wedding, make the guest lists, get everything together..." Nick started rambling on.

She giggled. "Nick calm down! We have plenty of time for all of this. First off we do need to tell our family and friends. Then we can do the rest later. But what should come first is the place. Here in America... or in Russia... Where will we live and all of that good stuff."

Nick realized that what she said was right. "OK, I'm sorry. I'm just a little nervous."

She agreed. "Yeah well I guess we all are. That is just the happier part of life."

He rolled his eyes at her and she smacked him.

"Cut it out!" she demanded hiding her giggles.

He turned on her. "Why you little rat," he sneered playfully.

She stuck her tongue out at him. "You love me for it," she told him.

"Don't remind me," he groaned.

She sighed. "As you Americans would say, what a little boy!" He pouted at her causing her to laugh. "Nick! Stop making those faces at me." She pleaded.

He smirked. "Ha! So I have some sort of power over you and there is nothing you can do about it."

She grumbled something but didn't answer him at all.

The doorbell rang a few minutes later and Brian came in with Svetlana.

"Hey guys!" Brian called out to them. Svetlana waved.

Elena dragged Svetlana off and began to talk to her in fast Russian, while Brian and Nick sat down to talk.

"So what's up bro?" Brian asked.

"Um," Nick blushed, "I asked Elena to marry me and she said yes."

"Congratulations!" Brian shouted as he jumped up to give Nick a hug.

Elena glanced up and smiled then turned back to Svetlana. Nick watched he two girls wondering what they were talking about. He began to daydream when Elena walked over to him.

"What's up?" he asked he.

"Nothing, I was just telling Svetlana about my retiring from gymnastics."

Svetlana gave a grim smile. "I knew this was going to happen sooner or later." Then she sighed. "I am really going to miss her but I know Nick that you will make her happy."

"Thank you Svetlana. I will do my best to make her happy." Nick assured her.