- Text Size +
Chapter 13

Nick sat with Brian talking about the up coming tour when the phone rang.

Brian answered. "Hello?" he asked. Nick looked at him, wondering who it was.

Brian's face went pale and he bit his lip. Then he hung up the phone.

"What is it?" Nick asked with a worried tone.

Brian looked at him with tear filled eyes. "It's Elena. There has been an accident. Her car stopped on the middle of train tracks and a train was coming and it hit her."

Nick gasped and felt as if her were going to faint.

Brian grabbed his arm and dragged him out to the car. He drove as fast as he could. In just a matter of moments they got to the hospital. Nick jumped out as fast as he could. He ran in the ER and up to a nurse.

"Can you please tell me where I can find Elena Carter?"

The nurse checked some papers then led him to a room. The doctors were in there so Nick waited until the doctor came out and said that he could go in. Nick took a deep breath afraid of what he was going to find. He walked in slowly and when he saw her, tears sprang into his eyes. His beloved wife laid in the bed, her skin a sick white. Bandages wrapped almost all of her. He watched her for what seemed like hours but was only really 5 minutes when the doctor came in again.

"Are you a relative?" he asked Nick.

"I'm her husband," he answered solemnly.

"Ok let's see what we are looking at. We have a broken leg and she is going to be in a coma for a few days due to some head injuries. We are not sure how bad they are yet because of the swelling..." then the doctor looked sad. "Mr. Carter, I'm sorry. We were able to save your wife... but we couldn't save your baby boy."

Nick sank into a chair. He felt sick to his stomach. He couldn't be hearing the doctor right. His baby was fine. He had to be. He let out a useless breath, buried his head into his hands and cried his heart out. This couldn't be happening. He told himself that he was at home, in bed having the worst nightmare of his life. He gasped for breathing wishing his life was over. He had lost his baby, his wife wasn't looking good.

The doctor came over to him and put a hand on his shoulder. "Sir, I advise you to be careful. If you cry like that then you are going to pass out from loss of air. I know you are upset."

Nick got up fast, almost knocking the chair over. "You expect me to be happy and calm when you have just told me that my wife is in a coma with head injuries and my baby is dead! How, exactly might I ask, do you expect me to be calm?!"

The doctor expected Nick to be upset but was very surprised when Nick tried to attack him. He quickly called for help and two men ran in and gave Nick a shot to calm him down.

Nick breathed heavily and felt dazed. The doctor led him over to the chair and helped him sit down. Nick didn't know what to do or say. He turned away from the doctor and gazed out of the window.

Brian came into the room and saw Nick sitting by the window gazing out. He walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

Nick looked up and saw Brian staring at him with questioning eyes. Nick sighed and filled Brian in what was going on.

Tears came to Brian's eyes and he leaned over to give Nick a hug to show his support. "Would you like me to let the others know what is going on?" questioned Brian.

Nick gave a weak nod in response. Right now, he didn't care at all about what happened. He just wanted Elena to survive.

Brian walked out of the hospital and made his way over to Kevin's house. When he got there, he noticed that Howie and A.J. also were there since their cars were in the driveway. Brian was glad about that since he didn't really want to have to repeat the story that much. Brian knocked and Kevin answered.

"Brian, where have you been? Where is Nick?" Kevin asked. "The guys and I have been trying to get a hold of you."

Brian looked at his cousin then asked if he could use the phone. Kevin let him, but was confused about the way he was acting. Brian called Svetlana in Russia and said that there had been and accident and if possible, if she, Aleksei, Yekaterina, and Elena could fly down as soon as possible. She agreed and then they hung up. He turned around after he had hung up and faced Kevin, Howie, and AJ who were all watching him.

"What is going on?" questioned Howie.

Brian ushered them all into the living room and when they sat down he told them the story of getting the phone call, to getting to the hospital and what Nick had said. By the time he had finished telling them what had happened, all of the guys were crying. Brian too began to cry along with the others.

They all sat in silence when the phone rang. Kevin picked up, his eyes grew wide and he hung up the phone quickly. He told them all that it was Nick and for them to get to the hospital as fast as they could.

They all jumped up and ran out the door.