- Text Size +

Chapter 14

Brian felt sick to his stomach as they rushed to the hospital. What was going on there? Was Elena ok? Kevin turned on the radio to have some sort of distraction as they drove. Brian listened to the words feeling the tears come on again. It was a sad song. Even though the case wasn't like Elena's was, it was still heartbreaking. He first heard it in the movie Girl, Interrupted...

Why does the sun go on shining? Why does sea rush to shore? Don't they know it's the end of the world
'cuz you don't love me anymore?
Why do the birds go on singing? Why do the stars glow above? Don't they know it’s the end of the world?
It ended when I lost your love.
I wake up in morning and I wonder, why everything's the same as it was.
I can't understand, no, I can't understand, how life goes on the way it does.
Why does my heart go on beating? Why do these eyes of mine cry? Don't they know it's the end of the world?
It ended when you said good-bye.
Why does my heart go on beating? Why do these eyes of mine cry? Don't they know it’s the end of the world?
It ended when you said good-bye.

Brian looked around at everyone. They were all crying. The song was so depressing. Soon after, they arrived at the hospital. Brian took in a deep breath. He was afraid of what was going to happen or what they would find. He and the rest of the guys all ran in as fast as they could to her room. When they got to the door Kevin paused and looked at the others. Howie nodded and Kevin opened the door. They all stepped in and what they saw was unexpected.

Nick smiled at them as they came in. He was holding Elena's hand.

She was now awake.

Brian let his breath out and all of the guys began to talk at once.

Elena smiled at them and watched them talk. Suddenly she began to feel very strange. "Nick," she called out to him.

He looked at her. "What is it?"

"Nick, I'm feeling tired. I need to rest ok?"

"OK," Nick said watching her.

Elena gave a weak smile, then closed her eyes and let a breath.

Nick's eyes grew wide at the next sound he heard. Her heart monitor was now only a flat line.

Brian screamed for help, and the doctors flew in. They ordered all of the guys to leave except Nick. The doctors began their work on her. One said that it wasn't looking very good.

Nick watched everything without really breathing. He cried and put his forehead against the wall. He felt a hand upon his shoulder.

He looked at the nurse as she said. "Come on Nick, she needs you."

Nick looked confused. "What can I do?"

"You need to call her back," the nurse responded.

Nick walked over to her bedside and looked down at her. He felt very scared. Using a very small voice, he called out her name. Then he begged her to come back.

"Elena, please come back to me," he pleaded, "I love you and you can't leave me. I can't live without you. Please Elena wake up." He begged over and over again.

The he heard beeping.

"She's back!" one of the doctors cried.

Nick breathed a sigh of relief though his tears.

His beloved Elena was back.