- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the reviews already. :) Here's another chp. Oh yeah, and I started this story a few years back so AJ is a lil bit younger in it.
“I’m uh....really sorry that I hit your car.” Lainey apologized, biting her bottom lip as she fiddled with the straw in her soda.

AJ chuckled and held up a hand. “For the hundredth time, don’t worry about it.”

“I know....and you keep saying that....” she shifted in the booth and looked over at him. God, he was beautiful. “But I still feel bad. I should have been paying more attention.”

AJ just shrugged and leaned back in the booth, stretching his arms out on the seat behind him. “Well, no harm done. They’re both being fixed.”

Lainey nodded and smiled. “Thank you so much for helping me out.” She tucked some hair behind her ear. “My parents would have flipped.”

True to his word, AJ had led her to a garage...and after explaining the situation and cutting a quick deal....Jason; the friend...had agreed to fix the cars. In fact, he had said Lainey might even get hers back that night. And now, they sat across the street at a small diner, having a snack. Though Lainey had been too nervous, upset....and excited to eat anything.

He just nodded and pulled a pack of cigarettes out from his pocket. “Do you mind?” He held them up.

She shook her head and shifted, swinging her legs.

“You want one?” He held them out to her?

“Oh....no thanks.” She shook her head again.

AJ grinned at her and pulled out a cigarette, then he withdrew a lighter and lit it up, sticking it between his lips and inhaling.

Lainey watched him, still not believing that she was sitting across the table from AJ McLean. Something she’d only ever dreamed about. He was so perfect. His eyes, his hair, his lips, his goatee, his little facial expressions...that man was just total perfection.

“What....” He sucked the cigarette, then held it over the ash tray and flicked the ashes.

“Oh uh.....nothing.” She quickly shook her head, feeling her face warm at having been caught staring.

He chuckled and leaned forward in the booth. “No....you were thinking something....what?” He wiggled his brows at her and took another drag.

Lainey racked her brain. “Um....just uh...just that I was surprised that you weren’t pissed about your car and didn’t go off on me.” There...that sounded believable. And she had been thinking that...just not at that exact moment.

“Ahh...” He chuckled lightly and leaned back again, propping an arm up behind him on the seat. “Well to be honest...at first I was...” he held the cigarette between his fingers and flicked it. “But then I got outta the car and saw you and...” he trailed off and lifted it back to his mouth, his deep eyes trained on hers. “And I couldn’t be mad at such a gorgeous, sexy woman.” His voice rasped the words out and his brows lifted slightly.

Lainey blinked. Had he just called her gorgeous and sexy? No way. She blushed and ducked her head. “Uh....thanks.”

He laughed a little. “You’re cute too.”

Her blush deepened and she intently studied the table.

AJ chuckled and flicked the ashes of his cigarette into the ash tray once more. “So how old are you?”

“Um....22.” She lifted her head and met his gaze again, taking a breath and reminding herself to stay calm. He was just a regular guy. “And you’re.....” she trailed off and lifted a brow. There was no damn way she was admitting to knowing that already. There was no damn way she was admitting to knowing even half of what she did.

He sent her a small smirk. “Just turned 27.”

Lainey nodded. “I’ll be 23 in March..” she blew some air out her mouth. “Man, I’m getting old.”

AJ laughed. “That that makes me old, huh?” His eyes twinkled at her. “Funny....I don’t feel old.”

“Well um...okay not old. But older.” She explained, shifting in the booth and drawing a leg up under her. “But in like....thirty years we will be old.”

“Okay, yeah I agree with you there.” He took a final drag of his cigarette and then snubbed it into the ashtray. “Though I still plan on looking this good when I get there.” He winked at her.

Lainey giggled. “Hehe totally....and I’ll still look sexy and gorgeous.” Wow she couldn’t believe she was actually sitting here casually flirting with him. Ahhh, wait till she told Emma!

“And cute....” He tilted his head and studied her.

She blushed slightly and smiled at him, the air filling with a sudden uncomfortable silence.

AJ finally cleared his throat, breaking it. “So uh....you got a boyfriend?”

Lainey blinked. “Um....no.” She shook her head.

“Really?” He lifted a brow and shifted in the seat. “That surprises me.”

“Why?” Her brow creased and she leaned her elbows on the table, propping her chin into her hands.

“Oh....just because you’re beautiful...sexy...funny...” he shrugged. “Guys like that in a girl.”

“Oh....” She smiled shyly. “Thanks....”

He flashed her his famous grin. “And cute...can’t forget that.”

Lainey giggled. “Oh right...” Then she tilted her head and watched him, a small smirk on her lips. “Are you flirting with me?”

“Me?” He held a hand to himself and grinned at her. When she nodded, he chuckled. “Maybe....why, do you want me to stop?”

Quickly she shook her head. “No....hehe...” she blushed and bit her lip. “I mean....it’s uh....nice.”

AJ’s grin deepened. “Actually...I’m doing it to see you blush.” He chuckled and wet his lips, his tongue dragging along his bottom lip slowly. “You look cute when you do.”

She felt her face flush and couldn’t meet his gaze. So he was doing this to her on purpose. And he thinks she looks cute? Suddenly Lainey wanted to giggle and bounce around. But no, she had to control herself. There would be no freaking out about AJ flirting and thinking she was cute and sexy.

He snickered and stretched his legs out under the table. “So Lainey....what is it that you do?”

“Actually I’ll be graduating UCLA this fall with a business degree.” She glanced up at him, grinning proudly. “And I think I actually want to go into advertising.”

“Like come up with slogans and jingles?”

“Sort of...yeah.” She agreed. “Like in the movie What Women Want. I wanna do what Mel and Helen’s characters do.”

AJ nodded. “That sounds cool.” He reached for another cigarette.

“I hope so.” She shifted in the seat and opened her mouth, before quickly shutting it again.

“What?” AJ noticed as he was tucking his lighter away.

“Nothing...” She quickly shook her head. Oops...she’d almost asked what he did. God forbid she asks and he says something about her already knowing. She didn’t want to blush anymore than she already had.

He studied her a minute, as if he didn’t believe her...then shrugged and reached for the bill. “You ready to go check on your car?”

“Yeah..” Lainey nodded and slid from the booth, grabbing her purse. “How much do I owe?”

“Uh.....it says....” AJ scanned the bill. “Nothing.” He smirked over at her and headed for the register.

Lainey blinked and followed. “No...seriously, what do I owe? I have money.”

“That’s good to know.” He smiled warmly at her and handed the cashier the bill along with a twenty.

She sighed. “Then I’m leaving the tip.” Smirking, she moved back to the table and pulled out a five, lifting an upside down coffee cup and sticking the corner of it underneath.

AJ was waiting for her at the door when she got back up front. He held it open for her and she just smirked at him, moving past him and outside. He chuckled and followed her out. They made their way back across the street and into the body shop his buddy owned.

Once inside, Lainey glanced around....taking in the smell of oil and fumes. Reminded her of when she was little and she’d sit out in the garage with her dad while he fixed up his old cars. He’d always had a passion with doing up clunkers. But he was really good at it and they’d end up being really nice cars...which he’d sell and use the money to buy another junker. And start the whole process over again.

“I’ve got some bad news.” The voice broke through her thoughts and she glanced towards the door that led to the garage.

A tall, lanky man with dark corn rolled hair, dressed in baggy gray coveralls was in the doorway, wiping his dirty hands on a rag.

“Oh yeah......what’s that?” AJ lifted his head as he stuck his hands into his pockets.

The man moved further into the room, tossing the rag behind him. “I’ve got to order a part for the Honda, so she won’t be ready till maybe tomorrow or the next day.”

“What?” Lainey blinked and stared at him. Jason, as he’d been introduced.

He nodded. “Yeah...but don’t worry...she’ll be back soon. I promise.”

“This...this is just great.” She frowned. “I have things I have to do tomorrow...I need my car.”

“Well you can’t exactly drive it right now...so I’m afraid that won’t be possible.” Jason just shook his head. “We already ordered the part...it should get here tomorrow...day after at the latest. You’ll have it back by then.”

“That doesn’t help me now, does it?” She folded her arms and shot him a look. He had told her the car would be ready today.

“Is mine ready?” AJ interrupted the discussion.

Jason turned to him and nodded, stretching his back a little. “Yup...just needed the fender fixed. You can take her now if you want.”

Lainey snorted and glanced out the large windows to the parking area. At least if she’d gone through her insurance, she’d have a rental. Now she was SOL...shit outta luck.

“Aight...thanks man.” Then he turned to Lainey. “What do you have to do tomorrow?”

She sighed and met his gaze, a sudden shiver running down her spine. She still couldn’t believe AJ McLean was really standing just a foot away from her. “I have errands....bills to pay, I have to go to the bank...run by my mom’s....get groceries....” she began listing off her to do list.

AJ listened then nodded after she’d finished. “Alright...” he turned to Jason. “How much do I owe ya, man?” He reached for his wallet.

“Nothing dude...I still owed you one.” The man shook his head, holding out his hands.

AJ studied him. “You sure?”

When Jason nodded, he shrugged and stuck his wallet back into his jeans.

“Yeah man....and I’ll give ya a call as soon as the Honda’s done. Shouldn’t be any later then day after tomorrow.”

“Thanks man....she out front?”

“Yep....” He grabbed some keys from a key hook and tossed them at AJ.

AJ caught them and turned back to Lainey. “Let’s roll.”

“Are....are you taking me home?” Her wide green eyes watched him.

“Would you rather walk?” He arched a brow.

“Uh.....no. It’d be a long walk.” She shook her head.

“Then come on...” He waved his hand then headed back outside, calling a bye to his friend.

Lainey followed him. “He better have my car fixed by tomorrow.”

“Well if not, you’ll definitely have it back by the next day.” AJ hit his keyless entry and unlocked the car. “Jason’s good with his word.”

“Pfft...no he’s not.” She snorted. “He said it’d be fixed today...it’s not.”

“He had to order a part.” He reached the passenger door and pulled it open. “Once he gets it in, it’ll be done in no time.”

“Well, that’s just great...but what am I supposed to do about tomorrow?” She sighed and slid into the car, feeling the cool leather of the interior. Wow...nice car. She watched as he shut her door then jogged around to his side, stopping by the back and checking the fender out along the way. Then he slid in behind the wheel. “You have some nice wheels.”

He grinned and started the car, checking over his gauges. “Thanks...just got her a few months ago.”

“Oh my God...I’m so sorry.” She blinked and covered her mouth with her hand. “I’m such an idiot.”

“Nah...it’s cool.” He flashed her another famous AJ McLean grin, then put the car in reverse and checked behind him, backing it up.

“I still feel really bad.” She chewed her lower lip. “If I knew how to make it up to you.....I would.”

AJ just shrugged and steered the car out onto the road, moving into the far right lane. “So....you have errands you need to run tomorrow...huh?”

“Not anymore..” Lainey sighed and leaned back in the seat.

AJ glanced over at her, then back to the road. “Well...um...I’m not doing anything tomorrow....I’ll drive ya around.”

“What?” She blinked at him, then rapidly shook her head. “Ooh no...no that’s okay. I can just do them another day....” Dear Lord, had he just said what he had?

“No....I can.” He slowed for a red light and turned to her. “It’s the least I could do. I mean...you don’t have a car and I did say my man could get it fixed fast...” His deep eyes studied her. “And I have nothing else to do.”

“Somehow I find that hard to believe...” Then she shook her head again. “No, it’s my own fault for hitting you. I couldn’t let you spend your day doing that.”

“It’s no big deal.” AJ glanced to the light, then back to her. “I know if it were me, I’d want someone to help me out.”

“Well um....I can call a friend.”

“What time were you planning on leaving tomorrow?”

“Like 9ish....” she eyed him.

He grinned at her and turned back to the wheel, starting through the green light. “Great...then I’ll be over about a quarter till.”

Her eyes widened. “Then I’m leaving at 8:30.”

“I’ll be there at 8:15.” He sent her a smirk.

“Eight o’clock.”

“7:45.”

“7:30.” she shot at him.

He chuckled. “I can just drop you off and wait outside all night for ya. Do I need to take the expressway?”

“Yeah...” Lainey nodded, then shook her head. “I mean yes the expressway and no you’re not going to wait outside all night for me.”

AJ laughed as he moved into the lane for the freeway. “Then I’ll be there at 8:45....and you better not be gone.”

She just sighed and leaned back into the seat. Spending the day running errands with AJ McLean. She could not believe this. Good Lord...wait until Emma found out.