- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Aww thanks so much for the reviews guys. :) You ladies are awesome!
“Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God, oh my God...” Lainey muttered to herself as she nervously paced back and forth down her hallway. She was nervous. More than nervous, the epitome of nervous. She didn’t think she’d ever been more nervous before in her entire life. What if he didn’t like her? What if she made a fool of herself? What if he didn’t show?

“Okay, Lainey, you have got to calm down.” She tried reasoning with herself. “If he shows and sees you like this...then you’re going to feel so stupid.” Quickly she smoothed her hands through her hair, turning and hurrying back into the bathroom. Was her makeup right? How did her hair look? Oh no did she have toothpaste on the corner of her mouth? She studied herself in the mirror. No...she looked okay. But she could use more powder.

With trembling hands, she grabbed the compact and tried flipping it open, but instead it slipped from her hands and flew across the room, crashing into the wall. Lainey let out a shriek and jumped as a hard pounding sounded on her door. Oh no...he was here. Oh my God and she wasn’t ready yet.

Whimpering, she hurried from the bathroom and down the hall, grabbing her shoes from the floor and trying to slip them on. “Whoa...” she teetered as she missed a step and stumbled, one shoe slipping from her hands and falling to the floor as she fell, only to smack right into the door.

Shit. She winced and pushed herself up, not wanting to open the door now. He surely had to have heard that. Shit, shit, shit... she mentally cursed, straightening her shirt.

“Lainey? Lainey are you okay?” The voice called through the door, the knocking coming again.

“Emma?” Lainey frowned and flipped the locks, pulling the door open.

“Hey...” Her friend gave her a small grin and waved.

“What the hell are you doing here?” She scowled. “I remember specifically telling you NOT to come over.”

“Oh...I must have misheard you.” Emma waved a hand and pushed past Lainey, moving into the room. “I thought you told me TO come over. Sorry...” she smirked and looked around. “So he’s not here yet, huh?”

“No...” she glared at Emma then shut the door. There was no sense in fighting, she wasn’t going to leave.

“Hm...well you look really good.” She grinned and sent her a thumbs up. “I told you you’d look fine.”

“Are you sure? Do these pants make my butt look big?” Lainey turned and stuck her rear end out for her friend to see.

“Girl, your butt looks fine...he’s going to love it.” She giggled then turned and fell down into a recliner. “Are you all ready for your big day?”

“Hardly...” Lainey grabbed up the fallen shoe and slipped it on. “Oh no...did I put enough deodorant on?” And then she was off...into the bathroom.

Emma just laughed and flipped through the channels on the TV when a knock sounded. She glanced to the door, then the bathroom and giggled. Hitting the off on the remote, she pushed herself from the chair and made her way to the door.

The knock came again and Emma pulled the door open, sending her best smile forward at the handsome Backstreet Boy that stood on the other side. “Hi...” she purred, extending her hand. “You must be AJ.”

“Uh...yeah, that’s me.” He responded, lifting a brow and taking her hand.

“Emma...it’s a pleasure.” She squeezed his hand then released it and moved back from the doorway. “Come in, Lainey’s expecting you.”

AJ nodded and moved into the room. “Are you her roommate?”

“No, she lives by herself.” Emma closed the door behind him. Wow, he was a lot sexier in person than on all the posters Lainey had shoved in her closet. “I’m her best friend.”

“Oh...cool...” he nodded again and glanced around the cozy apartment. “Nice place.”

“Yeah...she does a pretty good job.” Emma smiled and checked her watch.

“Do you honestly think that my butt looks okay in these?” Lainey questioned as she emerged from the bathroom, heading down the hall but glancing behind her. She came to a stop and turned to face her friend, her eyes growing wide at seeing AJ standing there also.

AJ chuckled and tilted his head at her. “I don’t know, you’d have to turn around for me.”

This made Lainey’s face blush a deep red and she quickly turned to her friend, sending her a warning look.

“Lainey, AJ’s here.” Emma just giggled out, shrugging. What was she supposed to do about it?

“Um...I...uh...” she stammered, wishing a huge hole would appear and swallow her.

Emma sighed. “Lainey, you look great.” She moved around behind her and placed her hands on her friend’s shoulders. “Doesn’t she, AJ?”

Lainey blushed again and AJ lowered his shades, taking her in. “Yeah you do.” He flashed her his famous AJ McLean grin.

“Th...thanks...” she stammered.

Emma smirked. “So...what are you two going to be doing today?”

“Just some errands.” Lainey pulled away from her friend. “But don’t you have to get going? You’ll be late for your meeting.” She carefully eyed her.

“Oh, they can start without me.” She waved a hand and shrugged. “It’s not like I’ll be missing much.”

“Alright...then we’ll be going. We have a lot of errands to run.” She smirked at Emma then grabbed her purse from the table by the wall. “Lock up when you leave.”

AJ pushed his sunglasses back over his eyes and sent Emma a smile. “Nice meeting you.”

She nodded. “You too. And you kids have fun.”

Lainey ignored her and pulled the front door open. “I’ll talk to you later.” Then she headed out onto the front step.

AJ followed as Emma called out the door after them. “Have her back by midnight.”

He chuckled and Lainey shut the door.

“Sorry about that.” She pushed some hair from her face.

“It’s cool. Doesn’t bother me.” He shrugged and grinned at her. “But um...you really do look nice.”

Lainey could feel the blush coming a mile away. “Um...thanks.” She bit her lip and glanced down at her feet.

AJ chuckled again then put his hand on her lower back. “My car’s this way.”

She shivered at his touch and it took all her strength not to let out a shriek that AJ McLean was touching her. Instead, she just nodded and allowed him to lead her to his vehicle.

Once inside the BMW, AJ started it up and lowered the volume on the stereo. “So...where to first?” He leaned back in his seat and glanced over at her.

“Oh...um...” Lainey clicked her seatbelt in place then unzipped her purse, rummaging through it. “The post office. I have some bills to mail, and I ran out of stamps.” She pulled out three white envelopes. “Electric, phone and....credit card.” She made a face.

He just laughed low and pulled out of the parking spot, heading for the apartment community exit. “Aight, which way to the post office?”

Lainey directed him and they moved onto the main road.

“So...Emma’s your best friend?” AJ glanced over at her, adjusting the AC controls causing the cool air to blast out and hit Lainey on the arm.

She shivered at that and rubbed her arm. “For the most part. When she’s not being a pain in the ass...” she laughed a little then shook her head as AJ laughed. “No...she is. Sometimes she drives me crazy...but she’s my girl.” She smiled and leaned back in the seat.

AJ nodded and turned left at a stop sign. “Have you known her long?”

“Um...since second grade.” Lainey pursed her lips together as she thought it over.

AJ nodded again and checked his blindspot before moving into the right lane. “And you live by yourself, huh?” He settled back in his seat, slouched and driving with one hand; the other resting on the gear shift between the seats. “Lainey?” He glanced at her when she didn’t respond.

“Oh...hm what?” She blinked and brought herself back from the fantasy world she’d just been in. Man, he was so freaking sexy when he was driving. She could just crawl right over there and nibble his ear. Bet he smelled good.

AJ chuckled at her and sent her another knee weakening grin. “I said...you live by yourself...?”

She blushed slightly at having been caught staring, and nodded. “Um yeah. I do.”

“That’s cool....” He slowed for a red light. “You ever throw any wild parties?”

“Oh yeah right.” She scoffed and let out a laugh. “Not only would my parents kill me...but the elderly couple that lives below me would have me arrested.”

AJ laughed with her. “Okay, I understand the elderly couple. But your parents would kill you for throwing a party?” He lifted his brows as he glanced at her again, then started through the now green light.

“Well not a party. But a wild party...they pay the rent.” She shrugged.

He chuckled. “Do you party a lot?”

“Oh me...not a lot.” Lainey shook her head. “I mean...I do party but not like all the time.” Great, she didn’t want to come across as a recluse.

AJ chuckled and watched her for a moment, before turning back to the road. “You’re so cute.”

She blushed and ducked her head. “Um...thanks.”

“No problem.” He shifted in the seat as he turned at another stoplight. “So Lainey, what kind of stuff do you like to do?”

“Um....” Lainey shrugged and leaned against the door, reaching up and twirling a lose strand of hair between her fingers. “Just normal stuff. I like to shop, go to the beach, rollerblade...swim. Stuff like that.”

AJ nodded as she spoke. “You sound like my kind of girl.” He flashed her a grin.

“Your kind of girl?” Lainey’s eyes widened slightly. What did he mean by that?

“Yeah, you know...” He shrugged and leaned towards her, resting against the armrest. “We have a lot in common. I like those things too.”

“Oh, cool.” She pretended she fully understood him. Really not having a clue what he meant exactly.

They rode along in silence for a few minutes, AJ watching the road and Lainey trying not to watch him...but being unsuccessful. Lord, he was making her heart pound just sitting there. Did he have any idea what kind of an effect he had on her?

A few moments later, AJ pulled into the post office and put the car into park. He turned towards her, leaning into the seat. “Aight, we are here.”

Lainey nodded and undid her buckle. “I just have to go mail these. I’ll be right back.” She gathered her purse and pushed the door open.

AJ nodded as he flipped through the radio stations. “Okay, babe. I’ll be here.”

She was already halfway out of the car before she realized what he had called her. Babe? She blinked and shut the door, heading for the entrance. What did he mean by that? Probably nothing. Just AJ being himself, and she was reading too much into it. Hehe, but who cares? She was spending the day with AJ McLean. He actually knew she was alive and wanted to do this for her. He could call her whatever he wanted and she wouldn’t care at the moment. Giving a small giggle and trying not to skip, she headed into the post office to mail her bills.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“So other than...shopping, and the beach, and rollerblading. What do you like to do?” Lainey questioned AJ as they sat tucked away in a corner booth of Bahama Breeze.

“Me?” He grinned at her and wiped his mouth with a napkin.

“No...the other person sitting with us that I’m talking to.” She teased, running her finger along the rim of her water glass. “Of course you.”

He chuckled and leaned back in the booth. “Well I had to make sure. I didn’t want to interrupt.”

Lainey giggled and picked her fork back up, twirling it through the lettuce of her salad. She watched him with twinkling eyes. Her day so far had been the best one of her entire life. After the post office, they’d gone on to the bank, then he’d driven her to her school so she could turn some homework in. Now they were relaxing at Bahama Breeze, having an early lunch. Oh him, of course.

So far he’d been nothing but sweet and funny. Along with hot and sexy of course. And the cologne he was wearing made her want to just jump him. She didn’t know if he was being that way on purpose or if it was just him...but it was slowly driving her crazy.

“Well...” he shrugged and lifted a fry, dragging it slowly through the ketchup. “I like music...dancing....going out. I like movies.” He bit into the fry and chewed. “I have a nice theater and I’ll just watch them there.”

Lainey nodded and sipped her lemonade. “What kind of movies do you like?”

“All kinds, really. Classics...comedies, action, horror...” he chuckled as she wrinkled her nose. “You don’t like horrors?”

“Not really. They freak me out. I hate being scared.”

“Aww...well maybe that’s because you haven’t found the right person to watch them with.” He winked at her and bit into another fry.

Lainey tried forcing the blush from her face. “Um...what does that have to do with it?” She knew she was taking the bait.

AJ shrugged. “Just someone to keep you from being scared.” He watched her closely as he spoke. “Someone to take your mind off the really scary stuff....keep you distracted.”

“Uh.....” her eyes were fixated on his mouth, watching as his tongue snaked out and slowly ran over his lips. Just imagine the things he could do with that. He was probably hella good with it too. She shivered then blinked.

He chuckled low, then reached across the table and took her hand, running his thumb over the back of her soft skin. “You’ll have to come watch a horror movie with me sometime.” He sent her an inviting grin.

“I um...I uh...um...yeah...” she nodded, her mind clouding over. Holy cow, he was touching her...holding her hand. Whoa, he was inviting her over to watch a movie! She blinked and shook her head trying to regain her senses. “Yeah, that um...that sounds great.” She’d be crazy to turn an offer like that down.

AJ grinned at her. “Great, then afterwards we could take a dip in my pool.”

Lainey just nodded and wet her lips, watching their hands still together. “S...sounds nice.”

“It’s settled then.” He finally released her hand and sat back, lifting his burger. “How’s this weekend sound?”

“This...this weekend?” She stared at him.

He nodded. “Yeah...I was thinking Friday. But if Saturday is better for you....” he let his words trail off, watching her.

“Oh no...no um...Friday’s fine.” Lainey quickly nodded and smoothed her hands over the napkin in her lap. Was he asking her out? Would that be a date? She was confused, but at the moment that didn’t matter, because...he wanted to see her again! She could have squealed out loud...but held it in. Lord, wait until Emma found out about this. She’d have a field day.

“That’s settled then.” AJ sent her another grin then took a bite of his burger.

Lainey nodded and the two ate in silence for a few minutes, until AJ finished his food and sat back in his seat, wiping his hands on his napkin. Then he turned his attention on her.

“What?” Lainey questioned slowly, removing the fork from her mouth and eyeing him. Quickly she wiped her mouth. “Do I have something on my face?”

He just shook his head and rested his hand on the table, tapping his fingers against the wood. “No...” his lips formed into a sly grin and he tilted his head. “But there is something I never got to see.”

“What’s that?” She set her fork back on her plate and watched him.

AJ wet his lips before responding. “You in those jeans.” He nodded towards her as he spoke, a sexy smirk on his face.

Lainey’s face scrunched as she looked at him confused. “What? Me in these jeans....” then it hit her and she trailed off, her mouth forming an ‘oh’. “Oooh...”

He chuckled and nodded, lifting his brows.

“Uh...” She laughed, not sure what to say to that. “I...um...” she giggled and blushed once more, pushing some hair away from her face. “Uh....” Again she tried to say something, but to no avail. Finally, she just laughed and took a sip of her drink.

AJ’s eyes twinkled as he watched her. He chuckled and fiddled with a stray fry. “That’s aight...I’ll check it out when we leave.”

This got another laugh from Lainey as she almost choked on her drink, bringing a hand up and wiping the dribble from her chin. “You will, huh?” She dried her hand on her napkin.

He shrugged. “I may. I’m a guy...you’re an incredibly attractive woman. It’s what we do.”

She just giggled again and shook her head, her face still warm. “I see...”

AJ chuckled at her and took the bill as the waiter brought it over.

Lainey blinked. “Oh...no I can get this.” She reached for the billfold.

He shook his head and pulled out his wallet. “That may be, but I got it.”

“But you bought our food yesterday.” She gave a small pout. “Seriously though, AJ...I can get it.”

AJ grinned at her as he slid some money into the black billfold and set it back onto the table. “Tell ya what...next time, I’ll let you buy.”

She eyed him carefully as the waiter stopped by and grabbed the check; AJ telling him to keep the change. “Do you really mean that?”

“No, not really.” He laughed a little and slid from the booth, offering a hand to help her. “But if you beat me to the bill, then I guess I have to let you.”

Lainey laughed and shook her head, taking his hand and slipping from the booth. “Then you can bet I’ll do that.”

AJ snickered and gave her hand a squeeze, pulling her from the restaurant. “Alright, my chariot awaits you...where to next?”

Lainey glanced down at their hands still clasped together. He was holding her hand. She giggled then cleared her throat, trying to disguise it. “I need to stop by my mom’s. She has some stuff I have to pick up.”

AJ reached his car and pulled her door open. “Sounds like a plan.” He grinned as she slid into the vehicle then moved around and climbed behind the wheel. “Where’s your mom live?” He buckled his seatbelt then turned the car on, adjusting the AC controls.

“Just outside of Santa Monica. The beach actually.” Lainey replied, as she buckled her own seatbelt and began digging through her purse. “Gum?” She pulled out a few sticks and held one out to him.

“Thanks.” He took it and undid the wrapper, popping the gum into his mouth. “Did you grow up on the beach?”

“Um yeah...” Lainey put her own gum into her mouth and bawled the wrapper, dropping it back into her purse.

“That’s neat.” AJ nodded and maneuvered the car out of the parking spot.

She shrugged and leaned back in the seat, turning the vent so it wasn’t blowing directly on her. “The beach gets pretty boring after seeing it every day for 18 years.”

“Yeah, I suppose that’s true.” He agreed, pulling out onto the road. “But I live right on the beach now, and I love it.” A smile filtered over his face.

Lainey watched him and had to grin herself. He looked so cute. How she longed to reach out and just run her fingers over his cheek. “Where do you live?”

“Malibu.” Was his response. He glanced over at her and wiggled his brows.

She blushed slightly and giggled. “You’re cute.” Then she blinked at the words. Okay Lainey, don’t make a fool of yourself.

“Aww thank you.” He winked her way, and rested his hand back on the gearshift between the seats. “But I think you’re cuter.”

She just shrugged and ducked her head a little, some hair falling around and framing her face.

“I don’t even think you realize how attractive you truly are.” AJ continued, pulling onto the expressway and heading for the Santa Monica beach.

This got another blush from Lainey and she watched the road out the front window. “I guess it’s cuz I don’t think I really am. I mean...I know I’m pretty. But I don’t think I’m gorgeous. Just...plain.”

AJ nodded and changed lanes, cutting off a blue Vespa and receiving a few loud honks. “Well I think you’re beautiful.”

She gave a shy smile and peeked over at him. “Thank you.”

He grinned back at her. “You’re welcome.”

Lainey settled back in the seat again and ran her fingers through her hair. Wow, AJ McLean thought she was beautiful. The man, who hung around with supermodels and porn stars, thought she was beautiful. He could have any woman...and yet here he was giving her compliments. Hehe, that made her feel pretty good.