- Text Size +
The thought that her mom might recognize AJ had never even crossed Lainey’s mind. Not until they had arrived and she was entering the house that is. Then it hit her, and how much of a fool she would come across as if her mom spilled the beans. Argh, why hadn’t she thought of that earlier? Now she would be more than embarrassed and truly wish she could die. If AJ found out how much of a fan she was, Lainey was sure he would never want to hang out with her again. She shouldn’t have brought him here...it was going to be a big mistake.

“Lainey...there you are, dear.” Her mother’s voice flowed through the house as she emerged from the kitchen, stepping into the glorious living room. The floor to ceiling windows extended out over a large deck, looking out to the beach below, and the waves that crashed onto the sands.

“Hey mom...” Lainey greeted the tall, thin woman with blonde hair swept up into a twist. She had the same penetrating green eyes as her daughter.

Her mother smiled. “I have all your supplies in the garage...” then she trailed off as her eyes took in AJ. “And who is this handsome man?”

This was it...the moment of truth. “Uh mom, this is AJ...AJ, my mother, Savannah.” She motioned to each one as she spoke their name.

“Nice to meet you.” AJ gave a little wave.

“It’s a pleasure.” Savannah smiled and looked him over. “You know, you look very familiar.”

“I hear that a lot.” AJ gave a grin and shrugged.

Savannah nodded and continued to eye him as Lainey held her breath. Please don’t let her recognize him. That’s the last thing she needed right now.

Finally her mother shrugged and waved a hand. “Oh well...” then she turned to her daughter. “Would you two like something to drink? Constance just made up a fresh pitcher of lemonade.”

“Oh uh...I’m good.” Lainey shook her head and glanced back at AJ. “Do you want a glass?”

“No thanks...but thanks though.” He sent her mother a smile.

She nodded and motioned to the plush, mint green sofa. “Well please come in and sit down. Lainey, I haven’t talked to you in awhile. What’s going on with you?” She questioned as she sank into a matching chair.

“Not much really.” Lainey shrugged and moved to the sofa, sinking down into the soft cushions.

“How’s school going?” Her mother tilted her head and watched AJ sit, as if still trying to figure out where she knew him.

Her daughter shrugged again. “It’s going well. Spring break is coming up soon.”

“Are you planning on going anywhere this year?” Savannah turned her attention back to Lainey.

“I don’t really know yet...Emma was talking about Cancun.”

“But that’s where you went your senior year.” Savannah smoothed her hands over her navy blue pant suit.

She nodded. “Yeah, so if she really wants to go there, I may just stay here.”

Her mother nodded and turned her attention back to AJ. “So tell me some about you.” She took in the tattoos lined up and down his arms.

AJ shrugged and leaned forward, resting his forearms on his legs. “What would you like to know?”

Savannah shrugged and reached up to her hair, checking that it was still in tact. “What do you do?”

Lainey bit her lip and glanced at AJ from the corner of her eye. She hadn’t even talked to him about his job yet. Yes, this really had been a mistake to bring him here.

AJ grinned and leaned back, looking over at Lainey, then back to her mother. “I’m a singer.”

“A singer?” Savannah lifted a brow and looked to her daughter.

Lainey just held her breath.

AJ nodded. “Yeah, I’m in a group. Ever heard of The Backstreet Boys?” He glanced over to Lainey again.

She stiffened slightly and sent her mother a pleading look not to say anything.

Savannah’s eyes went wide and she blinked, looking between the two of them. “You’re in The Backstreet Boys?” She gave a small chuckle. “My goodness Lainey, how did you manage to run into him? My daughter has been such a fan of your music. She loves you guys.”

Ooh no.... Lainey closed her eyes and rubbed her forehead.

AJ just chuckled and watched Lainey as he spoke. “I think I may be becoming a fan of your daughter.”

Her eyes popped open and she gaped at him. “Uh what...”

Savannah grinned. “My goodness...” she sent her daughter a knowing smirk.

AJ nodded and watched her. “You heard me.”

Lainey blinked and shifted in her seat, wetting her lips. She wasn’t quite sure how to interpret that, or what to even think of it. So many things were going through her mind at the moment. Did that mean he liked her? Was he just flirting? Did he want to be her friend? Wait...if he liked her...he had a girlfriend.

Savannah gave a low chuckle. “AJ, we will have to have you over for dinner sometime.

He turned his attention back to her mother. “Did anyone ever tell you that you two look like sisters?”

Savannah laughed and waved a hand. “We have heard that before. And thank you, you know how to make an old woman feel young.”

AJ chuckled. “You’re welcome, though you are hardly old.”

Lainey watched them both. Was he charming her mother?

Savannah laughed again. “I like you, AJ.” She smiled warmly at him.

AJ returned the smile. “Thank you.”

Then Savannah turned to her daughter. “So how did you two meet?”

“Um...” Lainey glanced over to AJ. She didn’t want to tell her mom about the accident. Hopefully AJ would remember that.

“At a party.” AJ leaned back into the couch and extended an arm on the back of it, behind Lainey.

“Ahh, how nice.” Savannah grinned at the two.

Lainey let out a small breath, he had remembered. She’d have to thank him later for that.

AJ nodded. “Yup...and here we are.”

Lainey nodded also and glanced between her mother and AJ. Did he realize what kind of impression he was giving here? Probably not. But now her mother would surely be thinking that the two of them were dating. Not that she’d have any qualms about that. She’d love to date AJ. But why would he want to date her? Besides, he had a girlfriend. She cringed and bit the inside of her cheek just thinking about that evil woman.

“Well Lainey, shall we get your supplies?” Her mother questioned, interrupting her thoughts.

Lainey blinked and nodded. “Yeah, sounds good.” She rose from the couch.

AJ rose also. “What supplies?”

“My art supplies.” She nodded him to follow then started for the garage, Savannah trailing behind.

“You’re an artist?” He lifted a brow, pulling his sunglasses from atop his head and hanging them off the collar of his shirt.

“Um...yeah. I paint and draw. But just for fun.” She reached the garage door and pulled it open, flicking the light switch on and stepping into the cool room.

AJ followed behind, taking in the boxes and crates of different art supplies. “What’s all in here?”

“Pencils, markers, paints....stencils, paper...stuff like that.” She shrugged and moved over to the boxes, leaning down and checking the label. “Did I get everything, mom?”

“I believe so.” Savannah hit a button and the heavy garage door gave a groan before lifting up. “Your father went through and checked it all. He said it was good.”

Lainey grinned and heaved a box up. “Great...thanks.”

Her mother nodded and gathered three large round tubes in her arms. “Shall we load them up?”

“Yeah, we brought AJ’s car.” She glanced over at him. “These will fit into your trunk, right?”

He looked the boxes over. “How many are there?”

“Um...” Lainey pressed her lips together as she quickly counted them. “Four boxes and then the three tubes with my paper in it.”

AJ pulled out his keys. “Yeah they’ll fit.” Then he too grabbed a box. “Maybe later you can show me some of your stuff.”

She hesitated then followed her mother out to his car. “Maybe...”

He moved behind her. “Just maybe?”

“She’s very sensitive about her work.” Savannah explained, waiting at the car for AJ to open the trunk.

“I’m not sensitive...I’m just private.” She explained as AJ popped the trunk and she sat the box in the back.

“She hardly even lets her father and I see her work.” She continued to inform AJ, lying the tubes down.

“So I don’t like to share my stuff...is that so wrong?” She headed back into the garage and grabbed the last of the boxes.

“Sensitive...” Savannah whispered to AJ.

“I heard that.” Lainey sent her mother a look.

AJ chuckled and shut the trunk after everything had been loaded. “Aight, you don’t have to show me your stuff.”

She sighed and put her hands into her back pockets. “No...I can show you some.”

He just shrugged. “Only if you want.”

Lainey just nodded then turned to her mom. “But we should get going. We still have to stop at the store.”

“Alright dear...call me and we’ll make dinner plans.” Savannah brushed her hands off.

“Will do.” She kissed her mothers cheek.

“It was very nice meeting you.” AJ extended his hand to her.

“My pleasure...” Savannah smiled and shook his hand. “And I’m serious about that dinner.”

“Yes mom.” Lainey sighed and climbed into the car after AJ opened her door. Then giving a final wave to her mom, he jogged around to his side and slid behind the wheel.

“Well she seemed nice.” AJ mused as they pulled away and headed back for the city.

Lainey shrugged. “She’s aight.”

He nodded and glanced over at her. “You look a lot like her.”

“Everyone tells me that.” She reached up and tucked some hair behind her ear.

“Do you have any brothers or sisters?” He reached over and flipped the radio, the beat to “Hey Mamma” by the Black Eyed Peas thumping out from his sub woofers.

“Nope, it’s just me.” Lainey leaned back in the seat, watching the road whizz past them.

AJ grinned at her. “I’m an only child too.”

“I know...” The words slipped from her mouth before she’d even realized it. She blinked her eyes and mentally smacked herself.

“You do, huh?” He smirked and sent her a teasing grin.

“I mean uh...” Great...she sighed. “Alright, so I’m a fan. But I’m not like one of those obsessed ones ..ya know.” She quickly tried to explain. Wonderful. He would probably not want to talk to her ever again.

He chuckled and pulled the car onto the expressway. “I know you’re a fan, and I know you’re not obsessed.”

She blinked at him. “You do?”

AJ nodded. “Yeah...I’ve known you were a fan since you hit me.” He chuckled once more.

She gaped at him. “H...how did you know?”

“Oh...just little things.” He shrugged. “I can pick out fans pretty well.”

“Oh...” Lainey nodded and glanced down to her lap. “So does that change anything?”

“No...why would it?” He watched her for a moment.

“I don’t know..” She shrugged. “Becoming friends with a fan....do you think it’s weird?”

“Look Lainey...” AJ reached over and touched her knee. “If I had been bothered by the fact that you were a fan, I wouldn’t have offered to help you out today.”

That much was true. So he was cool with it then. She smiled and squeezed his arm. “Yeah...thanks.”

“For what?”

“I dunno...for helping me.” She watched him. “You didn’t have to do it.”

“I know..” he nodded and wet his lips, grinning at her. “But I wanted to.”

“Because your guy didn’t have my car fixed and you felt sorry for me?” She questioned.

AJ shook his head. “No, though that might have been a tiny part of it.”

“They why?” Her eyes scanned his face, watching him intently.

His dark eyes met her green ones as he spoke. “Because there’s just something about you that captivates me, Lainey Emmerson. And I really want to get to know you better.”