- Text Size +
Chapter 124

By the Fourth of July, as the nation celebrated its independence, Nick found himself getting back to his old independent self as well. He had successfully weaned himself off of the oxygen and cancelled the home delivery service, keeping a few full tanks around the house, just in case. Dr. Mahmood had started weaning him off of the prednisone as well, writing his prescription out for smaller doses each time, though this was a much slower process. According to her, he’d be lucky if he was off the steroids altogether by September. Still, it was an improvement, and Nick hoped that some of the side effects would go away now that he was taking less of the drug.

After spending more and more time in Orlando over the last few weeks, Howie was now living back there for good, though he made a point to call Nick every few days and drove to Tampa for a visit every now and then.

Since he hadn’t seen any of the other guys for a few months, Nick decided to invite them all down for the week of the Fourth. One by one, they showed up at his house in their rental cars, Kevin and Kristin, AJ and Mary, Brian, Leighanne, and Baylee, and Howie and a big batch of his famous taco dip. Nick didn’t miss the looks of shock that flitted across the faces of all but Howie as they got a good look at him, nor was he surprised. He knew he looked different, his face fuller and dotted with acne, cheeks puffy, body heavier. But they hid it quickly, and no one commented, hugging him and asking how he’d been instead.

A short while later, they were all sitting around on Nick’s boat, drifting a safe distance from the beach and other boaters, drinking beer and catching up. Nick found himself telling AJ about the cancer group Claire had dragged him to, and how surprised he was that he’d kept going, three weeks in a row now.

“You wouldn’t think so, but those things actually do kinda help, don’t they?” said AJ knowingly. “I still go to AA meetings in LA once in awhile. It makes it easier.”

Nick nodded. He was actually coming to like the group. He’d gotten to know the other people who attended regularly and found that, even more than getting support from them, he was able to offer his support in return, giving advice and empathy to the ones going through the same kinds of treatments he’d endured years ago. He had never really been in that position before, and it made him feel good, to be able to give back and have others look to him for moral support. It made him feel like… well, Claire.

“So how is Claire these days?” asked AJ when he mentioned her. “Still engaged to that dickhole you don’t like?”

Nick smirked at AJ’s brash vocabulary. “Unfortunately…”

“Well, whatcha gonna do about it, my man? Crash the wedding? Maybe we can all come and disguise ourselves as ushers, then, when the moment’s right, storm the altar and back you up in harmony as you drop to your knees and sing her a song that will make her melt, right there in her wedding dress. What woman can resist the Nick Carter charm? You woo her, she leaves the poor groom standing all by his lonesome at the altar, and the two of you ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after. Voila, done,” said AJ, clapping his hands together.

Nick rolled his eyes, but couldn’t keep from smiling. “Nice try, J. I appreciate the thought that went into that; really, I do,” he said dryly.

AJ clapped him firmly on the shoulder. “Take heart, Carter. With her track record, there’s at least a decent chance she’ll break off the engagement without you having to do a thing. Then she’s yours for the taking… again. If you even want her, I mean. Not that she’s not a cool chick, but she causes more drama than I expected from her.”

Nick didn’t know what to say for that, so he just shook his head. At his silence, AJ spoke up, his voice carrying to the rest of the group, “Well! All this talk reminds me, I’ve got an important announcement to make!” All heads rose as AJ jumped out of his seat and onto his feet. “This calls for champagne.” He went over to the cooler he’d brought, which they thought just held his non-alcoholic beer and a few sodas, and brought out a bottle of chills champagnes and a stack of cheap champagne flutes. He passed them around, pouring drinks for everyone but himself, as all but Mary exchanged mystified looks.

When he got to Kristin, she held up her hand. “Um, none for me, thanks,” she said, stopping AJ from pouring the champagne into her flute. “If we’re toasting, I’ll just stick with my soda.” She held up her can of Diet Sprite and poured some into her flute.

AJ slid his sunglasses down his nose and narrowed his eyes at her, seeming to study her carefully. “Not drinking, hm? Well, you’re not an alcoholic… haven’t seen you at any of my AA meetings, anyway. You’re not preg-“ All of a sudden, he gasped, his sunglasses flying off as he reeled back spastically. “HOLY SHIT, you’re pregnant, aren’t you?!” he exclaimed, his eyes wide with excitement.

Kristin blushed and just gave a silly little smile. Kevin said, “Well, thanks, Alex, now the whole world knows,” the corners of his mouth twitching the whole time, as he fought hard not to smile.

AJ let out a whoop, and Kevin’s smile broke, stretching wide across his face.

“Oh my God, for real?” Nick, too, jumped to his feet, feeling himself smile. For years, they had all been wondering when Kevin and Kristin were finally going to start a family. It was no secret that they wanted kids and had been trying, in between the albums and tours, but with Kristin over thirty-five, everyone wondered if she was having trouble conceiving. This was huge, fantastic news. “Congratulations!”

The sentiments were echoed by everyone on board, Brian hugging his older cousin tightly and adding, “Wow, cuz… this means Baylee’s gonna have another cousin soon! A… second cousin?”

“First cousin, once removed, I think,” said Kevin.

“Really?” Brian frowned, scratching his head. “That’s a dumb title. Where do they come up with that stuff?”

“Forget cousins; this means we’re gonna have another Backstreet baby!” said Howie. “That’s worth a toast!”

Raising their champagne flutes, they all toasted to Kevin and Kristin and the new baby, forgetting that AJ had been the one with the announcement. As Nick got the proud father-to-be another beer, Leighanne asked, “When did you guys find out?”

“Just a couple weeks ago,” Kristin replied, smiling as she looked at Kevin. “Kev wanted to pick up the phone and call you all before we’d even made it home from the doctor’s office, but we decided to wait, just to make sure things got off to a good start. But so far, so good. The doctor said we’re due in February.”

“Aww, maybe you’ll have a little Valentine’s baby,” cooed Leighanne.

“Who’s havin’ a baby?” asked Baylee, coming up to his mother and looking around at all the adults.

Leighanne smoothed his wild, blonde curls. “Your Aunt Kris is going to have a baby! He or she will be your little cousin, Bay; isn’t that exciting?”

Baylee nodded eagerly, his blue eyes lighting up. He ran over to Kristin and asked politely, “Is the baby in your tummy?”

Kristin smiled, seeming to glow. “That’s right, sweetheart,” she said, setting her flute aside and pulling Baylee into her lap. “You can’t tell yet, but he or she is right inside here. The baby’s very small right now, but when he or she gets bigger, so will my tummy. By your birthday, you’ll be able to feel your little cousin.”

While Kristin and Leighanne explained, in brief, the miracle of pregnancy to the four-year-old, Nick looked around at AJ and Mary. “Weren’t you going to make an announcement too?” he asked AJ, his eyes sliding over to Mary. She didn’t look any different, but he wondered, how weird would it be if it turned out she were pregnant too?”

AJ smiled and cleared his throat loudly. “Um, yes, guys! Guys? Mary and I actually have a little announcement of our own to make.” When he had everyone’s eyes and attention, AJ took Mary’s hand and said, “We just wanted you all to know… as Kev and Kris are planning for their first child, Mary and I…” He paused for suspense, grinning, and Mary looked over at him impatiently, as if to say, Well, come on, tell them already! AJ cleared his throat again. “Mary and I will be planning our wedding.”

Another round of gasps went around the boat, followed by more “Congratulations!” and hugs. Beaming, Mary slipped a stunning engagement ring out of her pocket and onto her finger. “AJ wouldn’t let me wear it over,” she explained. “He didn’t want to spoil the surprise.”

The other women ooh-ed and ahh-ed over the piece of jewelry, their three heads bumping into each other as they all bent over Mary’s left hand.

“Congrats, man, I’m happy for you,” said Nick as he gave AJ a tight hug and a pat on the back. “She’s a great girl.” But as he pulled back, he couldn’t help but feel a pang of sadness, as he remembered breaking the news of his and Claire’s engagement at a similar gathering two years ago. He really was happy for AJ… but at the same time, the announcement brought back so many memories, memories of an engagement broken, a wedding that had never happened, a marriage that had existed only in his dreams.

Determined not to let his feelings for Claire ruin the celebratory mood on the boat, Nick swallowed hard and said to Howie, “Looks like we’re gonna be the only Backstreet bachelors left, huh, D?”

Howie laughed lightly, but then said, “Eh, I’m not so sure about that, Nicky… I’ve actually been seeing someone in Orlando.”

As the words rolled off his smooth, Latin tongue, Nick looked at Howie in shock. This was news to him. The two of them had practically lived together over the last few months, and he didn’t know Howie had a girlfriend?? “Really??” he asked. “Since when?”

“Only a few weeks,” Howie shrugged. “I would have said something, but it’s just now getting serious. I mean, exclusive and all that.”

Overhearing this, AJ came over. “Howie D… the Latin Lover…” he started teasingly. “I was wondering when you’d emerge with another lady friend. So who is this mysterious ‘someone’?”

The guys all smiled, knowing how private Howie kept his love life. Nick shouldn’t have been surprised that he had been dating a woman for a few weeks without anyone knowing.

Howie grinned, and were his skin lighter, Nick had a feeling he would be blushing. “Well, her name’s Kira… she lives in Orlando… and she’s beautiful,” Howie began.

As he listened to his friend divulge about the new woman in his life, Nick’s mind started to wander. In just a few minutes, he’d learned that Kevin was expecting a son or daughter, AJ was getting married, and Howie was dating someone. That meant Kevin had Kristin and would soon have a child, AJ had Mary, Howie had Kira, Brian had Leighanne and Baylee, of course, and Nick…?

Nick was starting to wonder if he would ever have someone to love. Someone who would love him back, as a father, as a husband.

He was starting to worry that the answer was no, that he was destined to be the only Backstreet bachelor.

The only one alone.

***