- Text Size +
Acknowledgments

Let me start by thanking you, the reader, for reading By My Side. Assuming you read this story in its entirety, along with its predecessor Broken, you have made it through 1,914 pages and over a million words of my writing. You have committed hours, maybe days, and for some of you, even years to this series, and I can’t thank you enough for your dedication. Without your support and encouragement, the writing of these stories would not have been nearly as fun as it was for me.

I’ve spent the last five years of my life working on these stories; they have taken me through the last half of my senior year of high school to halfway through my first year of teaching elementary school. I went through my entire college experience with Broken or BMS somewhere in the back of my mind. In the final countdown to the finishing of BMS, others have commented to me that this feels like the end of an era, and for me, it truly is. It’s a little bittersweet; these two stories are like my twin babies, which I brought to life and have raised for half a decade. It will be difficult to let them go. A part of me is sad to see BMS finished, but mostly, I feel really accomplished. These two stories, both of which I started with the thought that I might not actually continue them, have become my longest, best-written, and most popular stories to date, and even though parts of them already do make me cringe to read or even think of, I think I will always look back on them with some semblance of pride.

Like Broken, BMS was a challenge to write, partly because of some difficult subject matter, and partly because I had never written such a character-driven romance. I’d attempted to write romance before, but none of my earlier stories had the depth and emotional complexity of BMS. As someone who had not experienced many of the things I was writing about, I struggled with it at times, but I put my whole heart into trying to make it as believable and engaging as I could, and I had a blast writing it.

But as other writers who publish their work for others to read will understand, the experience was twice as rewarding thanks to the wonderful feedback I received from my readers. I write for my own enjoyment, but obviously, I post my stories because I would like them to be read, and to know that so many have read them and actually enjoyed them is an incredible honor. That said, I would like to acknowledge the people who contributed to the writing of this story through their feedback, advice, suggestions, inspiration, and support.


Laureen, my BNCS – you have been my main listening ear, my rock, and my wall off which to bounce ideas for most of this story, and I can never thank you enough for all your words of wisdom and just for putting up with my rambling on AIM. ROCK SQUARED!!!

Bianca, my UBR – I miss our fanfic chats, but you’ve been with me since before Broken was even thought of, and that’s saying a lot. Thanks for being there all of these years, girlie! I hope you will read the end of this someday and see how it all turned out. b^__^d

Jen (FrickFrackGirl) – I think half of the people reading this now are here because you gave them the link and gushed about these stories until they have to read them just to make you stop LOL. I can’t thank you enough for all your support and passion for this series – it means the world to me!!

Dew – Your feedback is especially meaningful to me, and I appreciate you being Jen’s right-hand man in plugging my stories on LD! J

Jen (JJ) – Even after all these years, you are still usually the first to email me feedback after I post a chapter, and I always look forward to your drama-loving feedback. When I think of how you’re the reason I’m even writing Bsb fanfic, it means even more to me that you enjoy my stories. J

Carrie – I know not everything about this story was really your cup of tea, but you stuck with it, and your feedback all along the way has been important to me. You’re my inspiration, and your advice has been invaluable!

Veronica – Thanks for all your honest feedback and AIM chats, and for interviewing “Nick”! LOL

Anita – Thanks for all your support, dedication, and enthusiasm!!!

Heidi – You may never read this, but your fic “Cover Me With Dreams” was my biggest inspiration while working on BMS, and I can’t thank you enough for writing such a beautiful, amazing story. It will always be one of my all-time favorites.


I’m lucky enough to have so many others to acknowledge, I’m just going to have to start naming names. So here goes…

To the many who have supported me along the way…
Aidyn, Alison, Amy, Ashlee, Bobbi-Jo, Carey, Christine, Corinne, Delina, Diana, Erin, Estrella, Favi, Fernanda, Franzi, Gozde, Jamanda, Juliane, Julilly, Karina, Kaz, KC, Kelly, Kristy, Layla, Liane, Lisa, Luiza, Lynsey, MadSue, Mary, Mel, Moony, Moppy, Nehal, Nichole, Nina, Rachel, Rose, Sandra, Sarah, Shauna, Summer, Susan, -Veronica-

To the others who have taken the time to email me with feedback…
Angela, Ann, Ashley, Barbara, Calliope, Cyndi, Jasmine, Jenn, Jess, Joann, Kat, Kelley, KevSam, Lauren, Linda, Malee, Maricel, Megan, Melissa, Swenglish, Tonia

And to those who have reviewed this story on AC or praised it on LD…
Alexfrack, BabyJane, bouncerok, brian_fan_4eva, cartergirl54, dolphingirl, Emilee, EsleyGirl, fena_carter, flop_for_nick, kimmelinn, MRZBSB305, Natasha, nicks_chick03, Teri, Yara


To all of you – THANK YOU FOR READING!!!

~Julie

1/28/08