- Text Size +
~Monday Morning~

"Are you ready for school yet Amy? For God's sake, its like you're getting ready for a ball!" Mom shouted up the stairs.

I rolled my eyes. I was nervous, and besides, I wanted to make a good expression.

"Well, its about time you've came down," my dad said teasingly, "I was about to leave without you and take your place at school."

I smacked his arm playfully. "Nightmarish, Dad."

"Come on, don't want you to be late." Mom said as Dad walked to the door. I followed behind him, still tugging at my clothes to make sure they looked just right. I was wearing a black tank top, camo-print jeans, and my black Converse sneakers. I smiled as I saw Aaron waving across the street and running over quickly.

"Hey!! Call me at lunch." he told me after kissing me on the cheek. I gave him a confused look.

"But Aaron, I told you that I-" I stopped as I felt something being slipped into my hand. A brand-new cellphone. I stopped the service on my phone before we moved, I didn't want someone calling and harassing me.

"Just take it. No arguments, please." he said. I looked at Dad, who simply smiled. What else was he up to that my parents were in on? I hope this is it. I kissed him on the cheek before I walked to the car.

"Fine!" I shouted, sticking my head out of the car. "I'll talk to you later!" I blew him a kiss goodbye as Dad pulled out of the driveway.

~Ten Minutes Later~

When Dad stopped the car, I could see that my new school, was much bigger than my old one.

"Wow." I breathed, looking at my mom in amazement.

"Yep. So scram before you come home whining that you got a detention for being late." he chuckled.

"I love you too, Dad." I joked.

All the kids looked rich and preppy, I noticed as I scrambled up the marble steps to the gigantic entry way. Some of them were even smirking at me. Must be because I'm the new kid.

I finally found my way to the main office, no thanks to any of my new "classmates". I walked inside and saw a fairly short woman with curly black hair pulled back in a bun standing behind a desk, glasses ontop of her head. I cleared my throat and her head immediately shot up.

"Can I help you?" she asked, looking up from the computer screen.

"Yeah, I'm new here, and today is my first day." I explained, walking up to the desk.

"Name, please." she requested, searching the top of her desk.

"Amy Sean." I answered.

"Yes, here we are. Sean, Amy." she said, opening up a file folder and pulling out a sheet of paper. "Your first class is American History, down the hall 3 three doors and to the left." she instructed me as she handed me the paper.

"Thanks." I replied as she pulled out a blue pad of paper and wrote something on it. "Give this late slip to Mr. Selmon." I assumed Mr. Selmon was the teacher, and confirmed it when I saw J. SELMON on my schedule under AM HISTORY.

I thanked her again before leaving the office and making my way as fast as possible to my class. Great, five minutes late to first period. Good impression. I opened the door to the classroom, and instantly knew all eyes were on me. How does Aaron handle being stared at all the time?

I was brought back to reality by the teacher, a tall, grey-haired man in brown slacks and a dark grey button-down shirt. He cleared his throat and I jumped a bit, causing a few isolated and yet stifled laughs.

"Can I help you, miss?" he asked. I shyly walked over and handed him the blue slip the secretary had given me. He scanned the note quickly, then flashed me a friendly look. "Class, this is Amy Sean. Amy, please take a seat over there." he announced, then pointed at a seat three rows back to the right. I nodded and took what felt like a "walk of shame" to my seat. I found myself sitting in front of a boy wearing baggy blue jeans and a red t-shirt, behind a preppy-looking girl in white shorts and a green and pink striped polo shirt whose purse I narrowly avoided tripping over on my way to my seat, and next to a girl wearing low-rise jeans and a white sleeveless shirt.

Mr. Selmon began talking about World War II or somthing like that while I sat nervously in my chair. I hadn't slept all night 'cause I was so anxious about starting at my new school. I suddenly heard someone giggling, and noticed a note being passed in the front row. I swear I heard whispering and saw pointing in my general direction.

"Doesn't she look like that girl in the magazines?" I heard someone ask.

What magazine? My train of thought was stopped when suddenly I felt a poke in my right leg. What the hell? Is it a tradition here to stab the new kid? I looked over and saw the girl next to me leaning over, a pencil in her hand.

"Here, you seem to be missing one." she explained. I smiled and took the pencil from her. "I'm Julie."

"I'm Amy."

"So I've heard." she whispered. "New in town, I take it?"

I nodded. "Yeah, just moved here a couple of days ago."

"Cool. Where from?"

"New Y-" I said, stopping mid-sentence. I felt a presence next to me, and turned to my left to see Mr. Selmon standing right beside my desk.

"Miss Sean," he said sternly, "I understand you're new here, but please, no socializing in class."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Selmon," I replied sweetly, "But I don't have a -" I started before he placed a book titled "Journey to Independence and Beyond - American History" in front of me. "-book. Thanks."

"Welcome. I'll give you some review work, and since you and Miss Thomas seem to want to talk, she can give you her notes to look over."

"Yes, Mr. Selmon." Julie and I said at almost exactly the same time.

"And Miss Thomas, since Miss Sean is gonna have the same classes as you, maybe you can be her guide?"

"Sure." Julie said, giving me a quick sideways glance and smiling.

~Fifteen Minutes Later~

Saved by the bell. Good show, even better when the bell really rings and you get to leave the classroom. I stood up and grabbed my new -- new to me, at least -- history book. Julie waited by the door and walked with me down the hallway.

"Um, now we have... Algebra?" I said, consulting my schedule. AP ALG.

"Yep! With Ms. Neil." she explained. I nodded. S. NEIL. Yep, Ms. Neil. Please be nice, please be nice...

"Yo!" Someone called from behind us. We turned around and saw a light brown-haired girl walking over to us. She was wearing loose-fitting blue jeans and a purple t-shirt.

"Gina!" Julie called, hugging the girl. I stood awkwardly as they greeted each other. "Oh! Gina, this is Amy. Amy, this is Gina."

"Hi," I said, shaking Gina's hand. We resumed walking, me between Gina and Julie.

"We all have Ms. Neil next." Julie explained.

"Cool!" Gina answered, looking back at me as we turned a corner in the hallway.

"So, Amy, where are you from? Mr. Selmon interrupted us." Julie asked.

"New York City." I simply answered.

"Awesome!" they both answered.

"Ahh, I guess... I sorta left there to get away from some stuff..." I confided as we jostled through the crowded hall. Julie shot me an inquiring look, but didnt push it, thank God.

"So what's Ms. Neil like?" I asked the two, moments before stepping into the doorway.

"Well..." Gina hesitated, shooting Julie a questioning glance. "You'll find out soon enough."

Indeed I did. At first glance I thought I'd seen a supermodel, rail thin, blond, with pouty pink lips. But then I halted, my gaze fixitated on her facial expression. It did not look like something Barney would welcome.

"Hi," I said timidly, thrusting a shaking hand at her. Good impression, good impression. She didn't return the gesture, so I rerouted it to scratch at my arm.

"Who are you?" she barked in a low, raspy tone. Supermodel voice, drill sergeant words.

"I'm Amy. I just moved here from -"

"Sit down behind Mel!" she commanded, already turning around to write her name in large letters on the green chalkboard. "In case all you nutsos forgot my name during your weekend, it's Ms. Neil, not Mrs. Neil, or Mizzus Neil. Ms. Neil."

Nutso. Perfect description of her. I shot a look at her left hand. No wonder she wasn't a Mrs.

Now who was Mel? I looked around for a moment before Julie faked a cough and pointed at the short-haired girl next to her. Smooth, Julie. I took my seat behind the girl and mouthed a thank you to Julie. I jumped moments later as a heavy-looking book was dropped loudly in front of me on the desk.

"I think you'll need this." Ms. Neil stated, turning on her heel and walking back to her desk. "Complete the assignment on the board. Silently!" she yelled, apparently addressing the pair of students in the front row that were whispering to each other. Oh yes, this was gonna be a fun class.

A closer inspection as I sat down next to the girl named Mel was that she didn't have short hair. In fact, her hair was long, and vibrantly red. Just pulled up in a ponytail. I cast a gaze around all the other girls in my class. All of them seemed to have their hair up in ponytails or buns. Probably a rule enfored by Ms. Big Deal. I shivered, subconsciously pulling my own hair up into a bun.

"Psst."

I looked around for who was addressing me. It was Whatsername - Mel.

I quickly looked around for Ms. Neil, for her evil eyes filled with an urge to randomly sack kids in detention, but thankfully she was busy perusing a long list on her desk. Probably a long list of homework assignments. Just great.

"Psst." Mel said again, poking me with a sharp object. A pencil. What the hell is it, poke me day?

I shot her a 'poke me one more time and I swear I'll stab you in the eye with that thing' look. Apparently subliminal stab threats didn't stop this girl. I pulled out a piece of paper from the one and only notebook I'd brought with me and wrote "Can I help you after class?" on it. I carefully tried to edge it to the end of my desk so she could read it. Looking up I noticed her scanning the paper, then nodding to me. Hmm, maybe I should give these girls more credit.