- Text Size +
Oh my gaw.

"What was that?" Aaron asked uneasily after my heartbeat seceded back to it's prescribed place. I dreaded looking outside my window, around the car.

I leapt out of the car. Mom was on the ground, unconscious. "AARON, CALL 911!!" I yelled, checking to see if there was any blood on the ground. None. Thank G-d. I looked up at Aaron, who was standing by the back of the car, a paniced expression as he dialed the numbers and put the phone up to his ear.

"Yes, I need an ambulance." He said, trying to keep calm.

"What's happened sir?" I heard a curt male voice answer in the muffled receiving end. Aaron saw my facial expression and rubbed the back of my neck while still on the phone with the 911 operator, telling him what happened.

"An ambulance will be there momentarily."

All the screaming must have reached across the street, because I looked up and saw Angel running over.

"Amy!" Angel yelled, seeing me on the ground next to my mother. "What happened?"

"I don't know! We pulled into the driveway and she was crying because she didn't get my voicemail message. She said she didn't know I had a phone, but it was like she forgot or something. Next thing I knew she was on the ground!"

"Did you call the cops?" Angel asked, as we carefully moved my mothers body to the grass, where she wouldn't get run over. I dropped down next to her and moved my hand towards her chest. Slow heartbeat.

"Aaron's calling 911... Shes still got a heartbeat..." I said, trailing off. I looked up at Aaron, who was pacing back and forth in the driveway while he was on the phone with the dispatcher, stopping every few seconds to look over at me, Angel, and Mom. He finally hung up and walked over to us.

"They're on their way." He said, standing behind me and rubbing my back. I turned around to face him. "Can you call my Dad? His car's not here, hes probably looking for me or something."

"Sure, baby..." He said, leaning over and kissing my cheek before pulling out his phone again, this time standing nearby instead of walking to the driveway. My heart felt like it was gonna implode from beating so fast. "Your Dad is on his way back." Aaron said as he put his phone away. "I told him if we're not here we'll meet him at the hospital." I nodded silently as I watched Mom as close as possible.

Then, sirens. I looked up and saw an ambulance pull up, and two men jumped out.

"Is she bleeding?" one man asked urgently, checking for her pulse.

"No." I replied, moving out of their way. Aaron put his arm around my shoulders and rubbed my arm.

The other man put his ear to her mouth. Whats going on? "Get the backboard!" he called to the third man, who was walking over with a big, orange colored board. They rolled Mom onto her side and placed her on the board, and we followed them to be back of the ambulance. As we went to get inside, one of the men stopped us.

"Sorry, family only."

"I'm her daughter!" I shouted. They nodded to each other and let me in. "Can he come too? Please?" I pleaded. They once again exchanged glances and let Aaron come with me.

"I'll call you when we find out anything!" Aaron called to his sister, who nodded from behind the ambulance as the men closed the doors and we drove away.

Please, G-d, help my mom.


~Ten Minutes Later~

Aaron and I were sitting in the waiting room, and I had my head in my hands while he was rubbing my back. "I cant believe this is happening," I moaned as I sobbed quietly, not entirely reassured by Aaron's back rubbing, the florescent lights making me dizzy.

"Honey!" Dad called. I jumped up from my chair and hugged my dad tightly. "I was so scared when Aaron called me."

"They haven't told us anything, Dad..." I replied. He kissed the top of my head.

"It'll be okay, honey..." he assured.

"Do you think she'll make it?" I asked slowly, dreading the answer that I knew would tear up our lives if it were said..

"Don't think like that, of course she will" Dad tried his best to look like he was alright, but I could see in his eyes he was scared.

"I'll go call Nick and Angel..." Aaron said. Dad and I nodded and Aaron kissed my cheek before he walked away.

"He really a is good guy, isn't he." Dad said quietly, sitting next to me and pulling me close to him with his arm.

"Yeah." I answered, equally as quiet. When Aaron got back I tried to eat something, but I couldn't stop thinking about Mom...

I jumped up anxiously as a white uniformed doctor approached, carrying a heavy looking clipboard laden down with a jumble of papers. He had a grim expression on his face.

"Is she okay?" I asked.

Still with the grim expression. Couldn't he have looked cheerful, at least? Well, no, never mind. That would depress me probably even more.

"She's going to live. But we've found something." he said, and I could tell by by his voice, the sympathy in his eyes, just by his stance, that it wouldn't be something good.

"What?" I cried out, frustrated at what was happening. This was just too much!

"We think she may have some sort of tumor in her brain." he said quietly, gesturing that I take my seat again. A sign that this was not going to be short and sweet, or good, at that matter.

"Oh."

"Was she on any medicines?" he asked.

I nodded.

"What kind?" he probed.

"Some depression medicine."

"Why did she need it? Was it prescribed?"

I nodded again, tears prickling my eyes and sliding down my cheeks. "She had a breakdown before we moved here." I paused to wipe away the falling tears with the back of my hand. "It was prescribed."

"Do you think she may have been taking more than one anti-depressant? Or have been mixing in different kinds of medicines, perhaps over the counter ones?" His voice became softer, and he took a seat beside me, I guess trying to be more comforting. It wasn't really working.

I shrugged again, my shoulders shaking.

"I'll let you know when the test results get back." He replied, getting up from the chair and shaking my dad's hand before walking away.

"How did this happen? Why??" I said, trying not to cry. Aaron rubbed my back, and I wasn't looking at either of them, but I know he gave my dad a look.

"Honey, you should get something to eat." Dad said, holding my hand while Aaron rubbed my back while I silently nodded. "I'll go to the cafeteria."

As he walked off, I turned to Aaron and buried my face in his arms.

"Amy? Aaron?" I heard a voice ask. Looking up I saw Nick and Angel, frowning in worry.

"We're so sorry," they said in unision as they stooped down and alternately gave me a hug. "We didn't think it was that serious."

"Don't say its serious!" I cried out deliriously, then took a deep breath. "Dont say it's serious. If it's not...serious...than it'll get better."

I could see the worry on their faces as they exchanged looks with Aaron.

"The- the doctor said he'd be back when the test results came back." I said quitely.

"Did he say what they know so far?" Angel asked carefully.

I tried to form the words, but I couldn't. As I began to shake again, Aaron pulled me close and explained to his siblings what we knew.

And it's all my fault, I thought while sobbing into my hands.

"Amy. It's not," Angel said softly.

I looked at her, bewildered, until I realized I'd voiced my thoughts aloud.

"If it wasn't for me, she wouldn't have been stressing out..." I trailed off.

"You can't control what other people do." Nick stated.

"But it's all my fault!" I screamed, jumping up out of my chair, stumbling over the shiny linolium, and running towards the nearest door around. The lights felt very dizzying, and the floor felted very slippery...

And oddly soft as I slid down to it.