- Text Size +
I reached over the table and tapped his hand, "Kyle. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to lead you on."

"No, no you didn't," he said trying his best to keep cool. "Uh, is he back from your home town?"

"No, he was the first person I met when we moved here. He's my neighbor."

A smile cracked on his face, "Oh well, then I had a disadvantage."

I laughed, and nodded.

"I'm just curious, if you had met us both at the same time-or around the same time anyway-would you still have picked him? Or do you think I'd've had a shot?"

"Well, first impression, would go to him. But you take the cake on first date, I really like this place." He grinned, obviously happy with my answer.

"Are you two ready to order?" A waitress asked, getting out her notepad.

"Um, I dont really know anything here," I grinned sheepishly.

"I can order for you if you want." Kyle returned my grin when I nodded.

As he told her our orders, I happened to glance through the door connecting the restaurant to the club.

Oh shit.Aaron.

Son of a pirate, I was so gonna get it.

Kyle was talking about the new movie, "Pirates of the Caribbean", oblivious to my new... situation.

Aaron, wearing a dark hoodie and khaki cargo pants, casually strolled in, as if he didn't know exactly where I was. As much as I loved him, I knew that if his bullshit were food, he'd be able to wipe out a quarter of world hunger.

Out of the corner of my eye, while keeping my face towards Kyle, I saw him fake surprise at finding me there, waving and walking towards us.

"Amy! Hey."

Aaron spotted us through one of the windows that seperated the dance floor from the resteraunt. He made his way across the dance floor, smiling at a couple of girls as he passed them, I pretended not to notice.

"...Amy?"

"Huh? What?" I snapped back to what was going on. "Sorry," I said giving him an apologetic look.

"It's okay," he said.

"He's here," I said looking down at the menu in front of me.

"Who?"

"My boyfriend, Aaron."

"Ooh, where is he?"

"Out there on the dance floor."

Kyle didn't say anything, probably because he was trying to look for Aaron. "What's he look like, there are a lot of guys out there."

"He's blond, dark hoodie, cargo pants."

Kyle was quiet again. "Uh...Amy, I don't see anyone like that."

I looked out again and he was gone. "Where'd he-"

Someone cleared their throat at the aisle end of our table. We both turned our heads to see Aaron standing there with both hands in his pockets and his hood up so you couldn't quite see his eyes. I buried my face in my hands. Here we go.

"So you think it's fun to go sneakin' around with other guys' girlfriends huh, Kyle?" he said, spitting Kyle's name.

"Whoa, wait a minute, when I asked Amy out, she never told me she had a boyfriend."

Aaron turned his glare on me, "You didn't?" he sounded mad now. "Why the hell not?"

"Because I thought that it was possible to have guy friends too, but apparently not!" I slid off the booth chair and turned to Kyle. "I'm sorry he ruined our night. Do you think I could get a rain check?"

He looked at Aaron and then back to me, "Definately."

"Thanks Kyle," I gave him a quick hug before adding, "I'll make sure the waitress cancels our order."

I could tell Aaron didn't like the rain check idea, but I was glad Kyle was willing to give me another shot at being his friend, even after leading him on.

After I found our waitress and cancelled our order I walked out of the resturaunt and straight through the dance floor, ignoring a few cat calls.

When I got outside and started walking home I heard someone shouting after me. I turned around to see Kyle running in my direction.

He caught up to me and said, "Is he always like that?"

I smiled, "No, but then again, I've never really done anything with any other guy, except his brother," when I saw the look on his face I quickly added, "In terms of hanging out."

We both laughed and kept walking. A black SUV sped by us, Nick's.

"What've I done.." I said, meaning it to be more to myself then Kyle.

"Look, that guy can't tell you who to hang with and who not. You did the right thing, and he knows it, that's why he's mad."

"Thanks," I said stopping and giving him a FRIENDLY hug.

"Hey, that's what friend's are for," he said returning my hug.

We walked to my house and he came with me to the door, leaning on the jam as I tried to find my house key. He was probably closer than necessary, but I wasn't about to say anything. Chances were that Aaron was watching us like a hawk and he deserved a little anxiety after the stunt he pulled tonight.

I found my key and opened the door. Then I got a great idea.

"Hey! Just because Aaron ruined our night out, doesn't mean we can't have a night in. You wanna' watch a movie?"

"As tempting as that offer is, I can't. I really need to get home."

"Oh, okay. Another time then."

"It's not that I don't want to, but I have to be home by eight to watch my little brother."

"Aww how old?"

"Seven."

"How adorable!" I said, I loved little kids.

"Maybe you could help me watch him sometime, I'm sure he'd love you."

"Oh I don't know, I'd have to ask my Warden," I said laughing at the semi-unfair reference to Aaron.

He laughed, "Oh, of course. Wouldn't want to get in trouble."

"No definately not."

We laughed together for a second and he looked at his watch, "Well it's been fun, but I seriously need to get home."

"Okay I'll see you later."

"Bye," I watched as he ran down the steps.

I closed the door aa he disappeared from my view from the dorrstep. My parents still weren't home yet, they'd probably gone shopping. They usually did that after they went out to dinner.

I sat down and turned on the TV. Ten minutes later there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," I called.

Aaron walked in. He looked upset, confused, and frustrated. I noticed it was the same expression I wore at school this morning.

"Amy..." he sat down next to me and took my hand.

I looked at him, in his eyes, and saw a look I didn't like. "What's going on?" I asked.

"I just want to know who the hell that guy is and what happened at the club."

I sighed, it wouldn't hurt to let him in on what's going on. "His name is Kyle Shepard. He sits in front of me in Algebra and he's really smart and really nice-"

"And really good looking," Aaron added, in more of a jealous way than anything else.

"Yeah, but he's got nothing on you," I said, kissing his cheek. "All we did was dance, nothing dirty, just friends dancing, that's all."

"Good," he said giving my hand a squeeze. "I'm-"

"Don't even think about finishing that sentence with 'sorry'!" I yelled playfully.

He smiled and looked down at his lap. "I was gonna' say 'I'm too sexy for my shirt,'" he took off his hoodie and tossed it aside, revealing nothing but skin. My pulse quickened.

"Oh really," I said.

"Yeah," he moved in closer, making me lay down on the couch. "And I think you are too," he started unbuttoning my shirt - even though it was only a Polo and the bottons didn't even go half way down the shirt.

He crawled on top of me and gave me a deep kiss. Reaching down he started to take off my shirt, but I stopped him.

"We can't do that now, remember?" I whispered.

He sighed, obviously he hadn't remembered, "What the hell! I freakin' hate that guy." he kissed my neck, then my cheek, and then went back to my lips. "We can still do this right?"

"Yeah," I said going back for another kiss.

We were at the making out point when I heard a car door slam. "What was that?" I asked him.

"Nothing, baby," he said, going in for more.

I pushed him off, "Shit! My parents! Hurry upstairs!"

We bolted upstairs as fast as we could to hide Aaron.

"Amy! We're home!" My dad called. "Hey...who's sweatshirt is this?"

"Aaron's!" I called, walking downstairs. My dad raised his eyebrows at me. "He let me borrow it." I continued.

"Oh." Dad said. "How was your night?"

I shrugged. "Alright. I pretty much just slept."

"Have you eaten?" I shook my head.

"Thank goodness for doggie bags, then!" Mom interjected, carrying a white plastic bag with what I assumed was leftover food. I grabbed the bag and started walking upstairs.

"Thaks! I'm gonna eat in my room! Goodnight!" I called as I kept walking. "Finally!" I sighed as I leaned against the back of my door.

"Whats that?" Aaron asked, nodding at the bag.

"Dinner." I answered simply.

"Oh. Wanna take a break?"

I nodded as I sat down on my bed and opened the bag. Italian! But damn, I need a fork... "I'll be right back, I forgot a fork..." I trailed off. I hurried downstairs to the kitchen and grabbed a fork unnoticed, then quietly headed back upstairs.

'Oh, my beating heart wants you
And my empty arms need you
Don't you go, please stay
And never try to send me away
'

"Amy?" Aaron asked as I walked back in. "Your phone is singing."

I got onto my bed and picked up my blinking and um, singing phone. "Hello?"