- Text Size +
CHAPTER 3

PAST:

Katherine looked around the room; she had been rubbing her sore arm for nearly an hour, smell and feel of burning skin had awakened her from her deep slumber. Sleeping in the coffin that evening was going to be her choice, since she now knew that the curtains opened slightly during the day. She wasn’t prepared for what her body would do once it reacted to the sun. Katherine walked toward the adjacent room and noticed there was a large claw foot bath tub and a large sink.
“I will draw you a bath mistress.” Said an older man from the room.
“Thank you, Nickolas didn’t tell me your name.”
“I am Martin.”
“How did you come to be?”
“It’s a long story, one of which I will not bore you with. I must warn you that Master Nickolas isn’t as he seems.”
“What is meant by this?”
“Nothing, just be on your guard young Mistress, soon you will learn a hard truth.” Martin said, he disappeared as quickly as he appeared. She wondered if she would learn to do such things. She walked around the vast room she was standing in and opened the wardrobe that was standing in the far corner. As she pulled the large doors open she gasped as she looked at the vast yet beautiful dresses that were inside. She pulled out one and looked at it.
“I thought you’d like the fine cloths, as you did at the palace.”
“You thought that bringing me fine cloths would make me want you.” Katherine hissed. She turned and faced him and saw that he was dressed in a long black jacket white shirt and black pants over boots.
“You will learn to love me, all that have entered my home have,” he answered with a smile.
“Not everyone within these walls likes you, we stay because we made our choice. Remember that Nickolas, I’ve been here since you were a child. Now that you are a man, and vampire you feel that everyone should be yours to control,” Martin said as he walked back into the room. Nickolas hissed at the older man and cleared the space between them pinning Martin to the far wall.
“Never question me old man.” Nickolas let Martin fall to the ground and turned on his heal and left them alone. Martin stood and smoothed out the suit that he was wearing.
“Tell me Martin, is there anyone else here that came before me?”
“My brother Henry is here. We have been with Nickolas since he was a child. When he was changed into the monster he is now, he changed us as well, never wanting us to leave him alone. But that was along time ago, come your bath is ready. And then tonight you must go on your first hunt,” Martin said leading her into the bathroom. The steam that came from the large tub seemed to fill the room. Katherine stripped of her robe and slowly slid into the hot water and let the water come around her shoulders, a low sigh escaped her lips as she let her worries leave her. Martin stood for a few moments before turning and leaving his new master alone.

Nickolas watched her bathe from his corner, she was a beauty, her skin pale and soft her eyes slowly loosing their light color and taking on a darker appearance her long flowing hair becoming darker by the night. He knew that she would make a fine dark queen for his brood but she needed to want it, he did not want to force her, not yet anyway. He turned and disappeared down the long hallway, he knew that soon she would come and join them for the nightly feeding. He needed to teach her to transform and to hunt for what she needed.

Katherine slowly slid from the tub as the water began to cool, she walked naked into the adjoining chambers and looked around and saw her dress sitting on the large bed. She looked to see no one in the room and slowly began to dress herself. Once she had finished pulling up her hair she turned and left the room. Walking down the long staircase she looked toward the great room to see many had assembled.
“Good evening my dearest.”
“Good evening, what are we to do now?”
“It is time to hunt.”
“Hunt?”
“Yes, and you will need to learn to transform yourself into a wolf to hunt for your prey,” Nickolas explained. Katherine nodded and watched the group around her slowly transforming, she concentrated but it wasn’t a wolf she changed into but a black leopard. Nickolas seemed surprised by what she had changed into but he changed into a black wolf and led her from the mansion. It was time to feed, and there was an entire village below his home waiting. His new queen would learn quickly and would enjoy the time that they spent feeding, the time that they spent killing those around them.

To Nickolas’s surprise Katherine took to killing like a natural, as if she’d been doing it for centuries, he knew that she was his perfect match, the one person that would finally fill the emptiness that was within his heart, but she would also give him the power she held deep within her the power that the dark wizard had taught her to use those years ago.