- Text Size +
Juelea had been in Florida for two months and was doing great. Aaron had surprised her by telling her that he would be starting school with her.

“But you’re not going to study the same subject I am,” she protested when he said they would have classes together.

“Juel, hon, there are general education classes we BOTH have to take. So there WILL be classes we have together. What are you going to study?”

“Child development and American Sign Language. I plan to open a preschool for deaf and hard of hearing children. I would ask you the same question but I already know the answer. Music, vocal preformance to be exact, and now my break’s over.”

“I’ll see you when you get home then.”

*~*~*~*~*

Juelea’s workday was very uneventful, but then, it usually was. She was glad for that, she realized, when she walked to her car.

She was also glad that her father, not her step dad in Australia, was back in Orlando for a few months. Juelea hadn’t seen him since she’d moved to Australia, but they had kept in contact through email, “old fashioned” mail and phone calls.

When she told him she was moving back he had been incredibly happy and had told her he’d have an awesome homecoming present waiting for her.

He’d given it to her a few weeks ago when he’d come to visit. It was a 2010 Malibu. She LOVED it.

Juelea was thinking about nothing in particular as she pulled out of the parking lot. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw someone who looked a bit familiar. But it couldn’t be who she thought it was, could it? She needed to make a few phone calls.

*~*~*~*~*

Teuri,

Ok, so I’m totally waving at the screen while I type this but of course, no one, well, except for the creepers who’d better not be watching me, can see.

How was Emma’s party? I’m so sorry I missed it. I hope she likes her present. Give her a big hug and kiss for me.

My dad, my REAL dad not step, got me a CAR!! I was so excited! I love, love, LOVE it! It’s emerald green.

How’ve you been doing? How’s Bradin? Tell him hi for me (wave while you say it).

Something strange happened today when I was driving home from work today. I thought I saw you-know-who, (no, NOT Voldemort) as I pulled out of the parking lot. Which is weird because Inspector Thomis said he would inform me if you-know-who (again, NOT Voldemort) left the country.

Anyhoo, enough unpleasantness. We need to talk. I’ve got something to tell you. Face-to-face chat would be awesome but I’ll make do with a phone call.

Whelp, I’ve gotta go. Aaron’s asking what I want for dinner.

XOXO Jue XOXO

p.s. you should come visit me. Braid’s dad is a pilot-make him fly you, Emm and Braid here!

*~*~*~*~*

“Man, that’s the second time today.”

“What’s the what?” Aaron asked.

Juelea and Aaron had decided that after dinner was a good time for ice cream and were currently sitting in swings at the little playground near Nick’s eating some.

“Oh nothing. I just keep thinking I see my psycho ex today. It’s ridiculous really. They’re supposed to let me know if and when he leaves Austraila.”

“WHAT?!” Aaron sounded disbelieving.

“I didn’t tell you about psycho Derrick did I?” Juelea asked him.

“Uh. No. tell me now.”

Aaron angled his body toward her and Juelea began her story.

“Well, about two years ago, I started dating this guy, Derrick. For the first year everything was jello-”

He interrupted her, “Jello?”

“It means everything was good. Jello equals good.”

Aaron nodded, “Continue.”


“About fifteen months inot our relationship, he started getting really jealous. Like so much so, he’d be pretty angry after class if a male teacher called on me. Then he tried to tell me to stop hanging out with some of my friends. And of course, I didn’t listen. One day my friend’s boyfriend Bradin, waited with me after school because I was waiting for my mom and he didn’t want to leave me by myself. I guess my mom had called Derrick and asked him to bring me home after practice because she was running late. But she forgot to tell me. Derrick looked pretty upset that I was waiting with Bradin. He turned absolutely livid when Bradin hugged me goodbye. We drove to the lake and that’s where he hit me. I wouldn’t speak to him for a week. Seven days of flowers, chocolate and different species of stuffed animal that came every three hours became annoying and finally wore me down. When I finally talked to him again, he apologized. And yes, I forgave him. But only ONCE. The next time he hit me we were on the stairs at my house, my parents were out and he was over watching a movie. I hit him back. And he pushed me and ran away. I only fell down fifteen, twenty steps at the most but I broke my leg in two places. Bradin’s the one who figured it out. And he told EVERYONE. But I had already made up my mind and broke up with Derrick.”

Juelea rose from the swing and walked to the trashcan to throw the wrapper away and went back to sit down. “He started following me around. The following me was annoying but harmless. Then the phone calls and threats started. I go t a restraining order, and a fat lot of good it did,” she snorted. “What made him go to jail for three months and on probation for five years was horrible. My parents had to go to New Zealand to finalize some paperwork with Jesse’s adoption and let me stay in Sydney. The first night was fine. The second I hardly slept because Derrick called so much. The third day was field hockey champs. My team, the one I played on, and my school won. Bradin stayed with me that night because I had told him what happened the night before. We were goofing around upstairs when we heard the noise. Down in the kitchen we found broken windows. Bradin grabbed the phone to call the cops but Derrick hit him. While they fought I ran upstairs and got my hockey stick. When Derrick turned away from him to come after me, Bradin tried to grab him from behind. Derrick pulled a knife and stabbed Bradin. Then ran. I still haven’t forgiven myself for getting my friend hurt even though Bradin keeps insisting it’s not my fault. Derrick can’t be anywhere near me but I keep thinking I see him,” she finished.

“That’s a crazy story,” Aaron said, getting up to hug her.

“It is. Even funnier is that my mom and step dad are friends with Derrick’s parents. His cousin is one of my best friends. But not even his own parents took his side. But enough of that,” she said, standing and brushing imaginary dust off her pant legs. “I challenge you to a swing off. Whomever jumps the furthest wins.”

“You’re on.”

When they jumped, Juelea won (of course), there was a small crowd of children and their moms. Juelea heard one, a girl who looked like she was about seven, say to her mother, “I hope I’m as cook are they are when I grow up,” as she and Aaron walked away.