- Text Size +
There was a knock at the door of my apartment. As I opened the door, I saw a policeman and a social worker. My breathing quickened – this couldn’t be positive. Then again, maybe they were lost and needed directions. I tried to convince myself to just breathe and see what they had to say before jumping to any conclusions. “Miss Megan Jennings?” The man asked me. I gulped and noticed the little hand attached to the social worker’s hand – it was my best friend’s daughter.

“Y-Yes?” I stammered and smiled at little Avery. She looked so scared and had tears rolling down her cheeks.

“Miss Jennings, there’s been an accident. May we come in?” The policeman asked calmly. Something had happened and it was bad. I nodded and stepped back and opened the door wider for them to come in. Avery immediately let go of the woman’s hand and hurried to me. I scooped her up and kissed her cheek. I couldn’t stay strong much longer.

“Is there something wrong with Kate?” I asked, silently praying that it was all just a weird dream, or maybe Avery was lost. Please, God let it be a weird dream.

“I’m afraid Miss Lynn was in a car accident this evening,” the man began as we stood in the foyer. I bit my bottom lip to try and fight back the tears. “Miss Lynn was hit head on by a drunk driver. And she was killed.” The officer sighed.

“Oh, God,” I cried. I couldn’t help it; the tears had already begun to fall. “No, please, no. Isn’t there anyway you can like, bring her back?” I was rambling. I needed them to say she would be all right and it would be okay.

“I’m so sorry, Miss Jennings. She was killed on impact,” the officer replied.

“You’re the one that has full custody over Miss Lynn’s daughter, Avery,” the social worker started. I frowned and looked at the little three-year-old in my arms.

“Excuse me?” I cried. What were they thinking? Why would Avery be mine?

“Yes, Miss Lynn left Avery to you,” she handed over the will Kate had kept a secret from me. “Have you ever seen this before?”

“Well, no,” I gasped. This was way too much for me to think about in such a short period of time. Two hours ago I had been on the phone with Kate. She was on her way home and we were making plans for this weekend. “I can’t believe this.” I cried and put my head in my hand. “What about Kate’s parents?”

“You’ll have to speak to Miss Lynn’s lawyer about that,” the social worker explained. “I’m just here to place Avery with you. You can contact the lawyer through me sometime tomorrow. I have a lot to sort through with Officer Craddock, here.”

“O-Okay,” I stuttered.

“My name’s Regina Lambert, you can reach me at this number,” she slid a business card across the table.

“My name’s Officer Robert Craddock and you can contact me through the city police department. Just tell them you need to speak with me,” the man smiled warmly. “If you have any questions or anything, please don’t be afraid to call.”

I nodded and walked them out the door. I closed it and bolted it shut. What was happening to me? I was only twenty-five years old and here I was, being handed my best friend’s daughter. I didn’t know what it was like to have a child. I wasn’t even in any kind of relationship.

“I want my mommy,” Avery whispered as she clung to me so tight I thought I would begin to feel dizzy if she didn’t let go.

“I know, honey,” I sighed and rubbed her back soothingly. “It’s going to be okay, though.” I decided to save the Heaven discussion for another time. “It’s late. Let me put you to bed tonight, okay?” I tried to say without crying. I remembered back to my days as a three-year-old. I could never imagine living without my own mother. I put an extra blanket on the double bed in the guestroom and set Avery down on top of it. “If you need anything, my room is right next door, okay?” I whispered and ran my hand over her head.

She bit her bottom lip and looked up at me. “Can I sleep with you?”