- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for the reviews! Here's the next chapter!
Halloween approached quickly. The weather had quickly changed; the temperature dropping rapidly and the leaves all falling to the ground. I watched as Avery and Tessa run up to a door to ring the doorbell. Chad had been rambling on about his business. He was an architect that built malls and department stores like JC Penny and Macys.

“Megan, I could really design a great house for you in the middle of Manhattan – very modern and gorgeous,” Chad smirked in my direction. A small smile crept across my lips as I went to reply.

“We like the apartment that we’re in, Chad,” Nick’s smile couldn’t have been any faker, but Chad didn’t care to notice. “Right, Meg?” They both looked at my direction.

I sucked in a deep breath. “I think we’ll stay where we are for now, Chad. Thanks, though. I just don’t want to throw too much change into Avery’s life just yet.”

“Well, how about you, Nick? I’m sure I could pull some strings and find you a nice quaint place to live somewhere,” Chad threw a comment in his direction. Nick rolled it off his shoulders and reached out to catch Avery as she jumped off the stoop of the house she was at.

“I’m tired,” she rubbed at her eyes sleepily.

“We should probably head back soon,” I said in Nick’s direction and glanced at my watch. “She has a school day tomorrow.”

“Could Tessa and I walk you home?” Chad asked me kindly. I smiled and looked back at Nick. I saw this look of pain in his eyes that had turned an insanely dark blue ever since we met Chad and his daughter to go trick-or-treating. It almost reminded me of times when Nick became jealous over something.

“I think we’ll be fine,” I smiled and patted his back. “But thanks for the offer. And thanks for coming trick-or-treating with us. It was fun.”

“Avery, don’t you want to come sort candy with me at my house?” Tessa practically pleaded from the ground. Tessa and Avery had really become close friends. At the mention of candy, Avery squirmed out of Nick’s arms.

“Megan, can I?” Avery pulled on my pant leg.

“I don’t know, Avery. It’s getting kind of late and you have school tomorrow,” I contemplated the idea a little longer.

“Thirty minutes max,” Chad smiled. “And we can walk the two of you home afterwards. You don’t live that far away from us. That way you wouldn’t have to worry, Nick.” He sent a victorious grin Nick’s way.

“Yeah,” Nick nodded with a sigh in defeat. I didn’t know what to do. Avery was so adamant about going to sort candy, but I felt bad for Nick. He looked so hurt. But he turned towards me. “So, it’s settled? I’ll see you back at the apartment in thirty minutes?”

I looked back and forth between Nick and Chad, who had already started walking towards his home with Tessa on one hand and Avery on the other.

“Y-Yeah, I’ll see you there,” I smiled and small smile and went to catch up with them.