- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I did. I went to visit family up north, therefore I wasn't able to update. I'm leaving you with a cliffhanger on this one! Review and maybe I'll decided to update tonight! There's not much left to this story ..
"What's your relationship with Nick like?" Chad asked as we both watched Tessa and Avery sit in the middle of the kitchen floor sorting through their candy. Every once and a while one of them would ask if they could have a piece.

"What do you mean?" I frowned and took a sip from the glass of water that Chad had given me. "We're friends, if that's what you're asking. I grew up living near him and we've always been close." I explained.

"Does he not have a place to live?" Chad questioned. I wanted to ask him why he was questioning me about Nick, but I decided to let it go.

"No, that's not it at all. He's helping me. Taking Avery in was a huge step for me and I wasn't sure I could do it on my own. Nick stepped up to the plate as my best friend and offered to move in for a while and help with the rent on my place. I love him for it," I answered truthfully. I saw curiosity and confusion in Chad's glance.

"I really like you, Megan," Chad looked at me seriously. "But I don't feel like competing with some guy over you. That's just not my style," he explained. "Do I have a chance?" His blunt nature threw me off. I wasn't prepared for him to say something like that. Not yet, anyway.

"I-I like you too, Chad," I sighed. "But right now...with Avery, I mean. I'm just not sure it's the right time." I tried to explain as I ran my finger over the rim of the glass.

"I can't wait on you, Megan," Chad sighed. "If there's something there, then we'll work it out. Avery is fine. I've seen her. She's moving on from what happened. I'm beginning to wonder if she's just an excuse."

My eyes darted back to his. "I don't make excuses." I tried to defend myself. Chad held his hands up in surrendor.

"I wasn't trying to push any buttons or open up any new feelings," he sighed. "I would like to take you out on a date. I'm simply trying to find out if it's a smart move to ask that or if I'm going to get shot down. I have feelings too, you know." He said calmly. He was handling this situation perfectly. He couldn't be a better guy. What was I supposed to say? This is the type of guy any girl would love to date. A single dad, a hard-working man that still had time for women.

"I-I just don't know," I muttered. "We've only known each other for a month or so."

"It's not like I'm asking you to move in with me," he chuckled. "Just a simple date. If it's honestly this hard to answer, then maybe it's not the right thing. I don't want to push you in any direction or influence you in anyway. You're a great girl, Meg. I just think you need to figure some things out."

I bit my bottom lip, hoping that the pain shooting from my teeth into my lip would spark some kind of thought or give me something to say in my head. But there was nothing.

"Megan, can we go home?" Avery tugged at my pant leg. I looked back and forth between Chad and Avery.

"I'll walk you home," Chad sighed, realizing I wasn't sure what to say or do. Instead I stopped him and put my hand on his shoulder.