- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
One more chapter after this! Review!
I managed to open the door to the apartment with one arm wrapped securely around a sleeping Avery in my arms and the other hand holding her bag of Halloween candy. Nick walked by the door as I opened it and hurried to help me. "Sorry, I didn't realize you weren't going to have any help coming in. Did you walk the whole way like this?" He sounded disgusted with Chad.

"No, I took a taxi," I muttered as he took Avery out of my arms. "She really needs a bath." I whispered.

"I can give her one tomorrow morning. I'll put her in bed for now," he rubbed her back soothingly so she wouldn't wake up. I nodded and took off my coat and put the candy on the counter. Nick reappeared from her bedroom a few minutes later.

"Sorry about tonight," I said and sat down at the counter. Nick shrugged and leaned across the counter from the opposite side.

"It wasn't a big deal. I'm sorry Chad and I don't really see eye to eye on things," Nick tried to explain. I knew that wasn't what he was trying to say. He really felt bad about being so jealous. A smirk formed over my lips.

"It's ok," I said softly with a smile playing on my lips.

"Did he get the taxi for you?" Nick asked as I went to the kitchen to get a cup of hot chocolate.

"No," I shook my head. I sighed. I would have to explain all this to Nick sometime. It was hard for me to admit to Nick everything. "Do you want a cup of hot chocolate?" I asked him. He nodded and waited for me to continue. "Well, he kinda confronted me about maybe deciding to see him...as in, go out on a date with him." I began as I heated the water. I watched Nick's jaw clench out of the corner of my eye. "I said no." I whispered softly.

"Why?" Nick frowned and tried to avoid making eye contact so I wouldn't see the jealousy.

"Well," I sighed. Here was the hard part. "I don't really feel like my relationship with him would go anywhere." I couldn't help the tears that welled up in the corners of my eyes.

"Did he hurt you?" Nick nearly jumped out of his chair and hurried over to where I was standing as he noticed the tears in my eyes.

"God, no," I tried to laugh to discourage the tears from falling. "He's perfect. He's everything I could ever ask for in a relationship." I muttered quietly and turned towards him. A frown creased Nick's brow.

"Then what's the problem?" Nick asked me softly as the microwave beeped, informing me that the water was hot enough.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and glanced up at Nick with a blurry vision. "He's not you."