- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
New chapter! Let me know what you think!!
"You wanna watch Veggie Tales?" I heard Nick whisper to her softly. "Okay, how about we lay down on the couch together and watch it." He suggested. She must have given into his request because the next thing I knew, Nick was carrying a sad Avery in his arms. He motioned to me to get off the couch, so I did. I watched as he lied down on his back and let Avery lay in front of him as he ran his fingers through her hair softly. I took his cue and put in the video and went around closing the blinds. I stood back and watched as her eyelids became heavy once more and she was out.

Nick found a way to slowly manuever around her and he came over to my side. "I told you." He whispered. "You just have to make her feel a part of your family, whether she's a blood relative or not. She needs to feel comfort." My mouth must have been hanging open, because Nick tried not to laugh and took my hand to pull me into my bedroom. He softly shut the door and shook his head at me. "What is it going to take for you to see I can do this?"

"Well, that pretty much proved it right there," I chuckled. "You were perfect with her. Better than I was."

"Nah," he wrinkled his nose and shook his head. "I just know how to handle her in different situations. You know all the important things - like to fill her juice cup with three-quarters juice and one-quarter water. That's a motherly instinct I just don't have." I smirked. He really knew how to say things sometimes. "So, I was thinking I could stay in a hotel down the road for the time being. I'll probably be able to stay through November, and then if things start to get crazy after I leave," he winked, as if all hell would break lose without him around. "Then maybe you and Avery could come spend time with me."

What exactly was him implying? He seemed to know exactly what he was talking about. Had this been on his mind for a while now? He sure did have it all planned out. "It sounds good, but Nick, I don't want you staying at a hotel. Just stay here with us. I have an extra bedroom you can stay in. I mean, I understand if you don't want to be around us twenty-four-seven, but I also don't want to ask you to stay somewhere else and pay for a place when all you're doing this for is my sake," I smiled.

"I'll pay you rent, then," he said. Nick knew my financial state wasn't good right now. It was generous for him to want to help.

"That would defeat the purpose of not staying in a hotel," I folded my arms over my chest and cocked my head at him. "What exactly are you up to, Nickolas?" I questioned and frowned as his eyes darted back and forth between my eyes and my lips.

"I just want to help you out, that's all," he shrugged. The sensitive, sweet Nick seemed to disappear as he folded his arms across his chest. "I'll stay here, but I'm helping out with groceries and stuff. We both know you can't raise Avery and pay for everything at the same time."

"Excuse me," I began to get a little frustrated. I didn't like it when people (especially men) told me what I could and couldn't do. In my eyes, my life was up to me.

"Come on, Meg," he rolled his eyes, realizing he had said something insensitive. "You just got fired from your job, you have no idea where to look for another one, and you don't want to put Avery in daycare. How exactly do you plan on taking care of everything?"

I tried to come up with an answer; honestly, I did. But nothing came to mind. "Fine, Nick. You can stay. But you will not pay me rent and you will not live under any kind of circumstances or beliefs that you have to help me with Avery or with money. I'm a big girl, Nick."

"I know that," the smirk reappeared on his lips. He walked closer to me and wrapped his arms around me. "I'm not trying to be Superman, Megan."

I smirked as well. Growing up I had always claimed the powers of "Superwoman" and Nick had always claimed the powers of "Superman." "I know that," I repeated what he had said. "But you know, I must admit it is always nice having a hero."

He pulled away and smiled. "Then let me be your's."

I don't think Nick understood the meaning I felt behind that statement. Ever since Nick had been back in my life again, I felt...strange. The feelings were unlike anything I had felt in a long time. "Miss Megan," I heard a small voice behind me. I turned around from my desk and smiled at her brightly. "Are you going to work today?" She frowned and approached me. I lifted her on to my lap and sighed.

"Not today," I muttered. "I think I might stay home for a few weeks. Would you like that?" I asked her. I knew Nick would be here if I needed money. Plus, Kate had left practically her life savings to Avery. I could use that to buy Avery's clothes and food. I could manage to take care of the rent.

"Yes," she smiled and looked out over the leave-covered pavement. I watched her big blue eyes scan the street in wonder. She bit her bottom lip as her eyes darted back and forth between the street and my eyes.

"You know what?" I asked her and smiled. Maybe Nick was right. Maybe she needed to feel the real me in a family instead of the me that walked around on egg shells around her. "How about we go outside and play in the leaves?" She looked at me strangely and then burst into a fit of giggles as I scooped her up and ran towards the front door. Maybe this family thing would work out after all.