- Text Size +
Alex could see Brian walking towards the resort guiding a woman he thought looked familiar. Was Brian bringing another feast for the Creator? Alex needed to know. He crept forward making sure to keep the hat he donned pulled down over his eyes. He watched as Brian turned in all directions searching for something or someone. Alex knew Brian was searching for him. He hoped he was at enough distance that he could not make him out.

Alex looked on in shock as the girl with Brian turned around so he could see her face. “May!” he gasped aloud. Even more curious Alex decided he needed to confront Brian and he stormed towards the resort. This resort had two condominiums that belonged to the clan; he would check both of those.

He reached the first one on the tenth floor and listened at the door, he heard murmurs behind the door. When he heard the name “Brian” said in a girl’s voice he kicked open the door.

“Alex,” Brian’s calm voice sounded as soon as he was in the room. Alex took a quick view of the room noting that May stood off to the side, not far from Brian. “I thought I felt your presence.”

“May, run quick out the door, I’ll protect you.” Alex said while still watching Brian. “Did you think you’d be able to take this girl to the Creator to finish what she started?” He asked Brian noticing May still not moving.

Alex moved towards May and moved to grab her arm; quickly she bolted away and ran into Brian’s arms. “What spell have you cast over her?” Alex shouted his question.

“Alex, I’m a changed man.” He started, ignoring Alex’s stifled laughter. “After May revealed her feelings for me something came over me and I just want to be with her.”

Alex looked at Brian skeptically. “Then what are you doing here of all places practically en route to the Creator?”

Brian let go of May and moved forward guiding Alex away from May so they could talk. “Listen, we are trying to get the baby before he falls into harm, and before Kevin can get to it.” He looked at Alex, “May wanted me to help with this and I promised her I would keep the baby from the Creator.”

“You are trying to stop Kevin?” Alex asked warily.

“Yes,” Brian responded.

“Then we have a common enemy and until he is taken care of you can count me as an ally.” Alex turned towards Brian and stuck out his hand, which Brian took and shook.

“And after that?” Brian asked.

Alex looked at Brian and then moved back towards May to give her condolences on losing her sister. “I’m sorry for your loss, but glad you have found something…special.”

May nodded at him, thinking he meant the loss of her nephew she replied. “Thank you.”

He turned to leave and turned back towards Brian briefly. “Until then…” With that, he left the room. Alex wasn’t sure he could believe Brian, but May was alive and that was proof enough that Brian did not give May to the Creator and that was some proof of Brian telling the truth.

*****

The plane touched down and April took hold of Kevin’s hand as they exited the plane. April looked around amazed; she loved the open airport, never before had she been in an airport without walls around the walkways.

“It’s beautiful here.” April stated that as she looked towards Kevin’s face, he looked solemn and unhappy. “What’s wrong?”

“The only safe house I’m aware of will probably be inhabited by Brian by now.”

“Don’t worry about a place to stay,” April pulled him along the walkway. “My parents own a rental property here and what luck it’s unoccupied currently.”

“How do you know May won’t be there?” Kevin questioned a smile beginning to play on his lips.

April had an impish smile on her face. “My parents did not give her a key, they gave me one. I used to help them with their accounting work.”

Kevin shook his head. “You must have been upset when the only work you got last year was a night club.”

April shrugged, “It was something different and I thoroughly planned to be running the place as a manager at this time. That is if the job was really legit and I didn’t get it just because some vampires were trying to kill me.” She smiled broadly at this and held tightly to Kevin’s hand.

The two got a taxi and rode in silence to the rental property. April unlocked the door and let them both inside; plastic covered the sparse furniture giving the place an eerie feeling.

April moved inside and started to take the plastic off the couch while Kevin came up behind her pulling her close and holding her. He breathed in the smell of her hair. “April, I do believe I love you.”

April turned to face him, putting her arms around his neck. “Kevin I do believe I will always love you.” She stated before planting her lips firmly on his.

“April,” Kevin pulled away. “We shouldn’t do this again. When the time comes, I fully intend to end my existence. I shouldn’t have told you I love you it will only make it more difficult when I am gone.”

A tear formed in April’s eye and she hugged Kevin closer. “But if I don’t love you while you are alive I will regret it the rest of my life.” She moved in again and kissed his lips, this time Kevin did not pull away but kissed April back. They moved towards the couch still locked in a kiss. Gently they moved down onto the couch caressing each other. The sun outside started to sink, giving the sky a pink and orange glow, as inside Kevin and April made love.