- Text Size +
The room where the three stood was freezing, but April was the only one who noticed the cold. This new information that Alex brought to them shed a new light on their situation but it worried May even more. If Brian had not come to Hawaii to get Caleb from Nick then they were back at the beginning trying to find Caleb.

“What are we going to do now?” April moved closer to Kevin and wrapped her arms around him. She needed to feel him now, she needed to be close she did not notice the looks Alex gave the two of them. “We need to find out where Nick is going, I want my son back.”

Alex stared at the two of them confused. “We can’t leave!” He shouted startling the two. “We are here, we know Brian’s plans, and we have to stop him!”

The door to the room slammed open and a voice from that direction sounded. “I didn’t think I could trust you Alex, I knew you’d come running back to these pathetic beings.” Brian waved his hand in Kevin and April’s general direction.

“You lied to me Brian. You let me believe that Kevin did betray me, that April was sacrificed. Did you think I would stay loyal to you after I found out the truth?” The words flew from him mouth moments before Brian was standing in front of him, his hand tightening around Alex’s neck.

“You should not have provoked me!” His face was in Alex’s. A second later he was tossing him across the room, Alex’s body slamming into the wall across the way, a faint trickle of blood seeped from his lip before healing back over.

Brian then turned his attention to April, standing in front of her before she could move; his hand was around her neck lifting her off the ground. He brought his arm back ready to toss her into the staggering Alex.

Kevin grabbed April as Brian released her and let her go gently on the ground.

“You make me sick. You are a pathetic excuse for a vampire. Do you not realize we are the supreme beings? Humans should bow to us, they should serve us, we should not bend our will, our destinies to them.”

Kevin glared at Brian and rushed at him throwing both his hands out hitting his abdomen forcing him across the room. “You do not know what you are talking about.”

Brian laughed, clutching his stomach as he stood. “You have not told her then? Told her why our Creator made you?”

Kevin averted his eyes from April; he did not want to see the look on her face. It was Alex that spoke next. “What are you talking about?”

Brian kept his eyes on Kevin but directed his conversation at April. “Your love…” He took a moment to laugh before continuing. “He has not told you of his reason for creation. He thought only he would know the reason. But the Creator entrusted me with the knowledge of why all her children were created. And your story,” a soft chuckle arose but was quickly stopped. “You story is most interesting.”

“You are only trying to turn us against Kevin again.” Alex shouted running across the room using his whole body to ram into Brian, knocking them both over.

Kevin took April’s hand and quickly drug her from the building, running as fast as he could.

“Kevin I can’t keep up with this pace. Slow down.” April pleaded.

Kevin slowed a bit, but kept running away from Brian, running away from the words, running from what Brian reminded him.

They finally stopped; April fell to the ground breathing heavily. “What…. was … he …talking about?” she managed to force out.

“Nothing.” Kevin muttered. He did not want the woman he loved to start thinking anything bad about him again. He knew the reason he was created but he wanted to stop that from happening at all costs.

*****

Nick grabbed the carrier with the sleeping child and got in line to exit the plane. A young woman stood in front of him, her hair pulled up in a messy bun. He could not help but glance at her neck; the vein pulsed lightly under her skin. He was hungry, he needed to find substance and soon, else he ruin the child for his future plans.

Stepping off the plane, the warm breeze welcomed him. He inhaled deeply. He always loved traveling to this place. Howe brought him here only a couple times, but the memories stayed with him, he wanted to be here now since his favorite times with his lover were in this paradise.

He walked by the baggage claim, he had nothing to collect. He caught a few glances his direction from women who spotted the child. He had nothing for the child, no diapers, and no bottles. He knew what they were thinking, but they need not worry, the child would be cared for. He was important to his plans and needed to live, for awhile at least.

Nick stood on the sidewalk and hailed a cab, sliding in behind the driver, the urge to eat was getting stronger. He handed a slip of paper to the man and barked “Drive fast.” He sat back and watched the trees and plant life buzz by. It was only short minutes until they were where he wanted to go, he thrust some money in the driver’s direction and grabbed the baby.

He took the child inside and set him down, making sure he was still sleeping he went back outside, locking the door behind him. He saw a beach with beautiful people sun-bathing people. He strolled over and stood under a tree, it was not long until the good looks Howie always complimented him on attracted a couple girls. Glancing around he chatted them up and then took them behind the building Caleb was napping in. His hand crushed one girl’s mouth as his teeth sank into the other girl’s neck. Blood rushing down his throat was a welcome delight.

When he finished with the other girl he unlocked the door and looked at Caleb starting to stir from his slumber. “Ah, my companion is waking.” He giggled and moved towards the fridge, opening it to see rows and rows of already made formula. “I really should give that maid a raise.” He laughed and removed a bottle, taking it over to Caleb holding it towards the boy’s mouth. Caleb reached towards Nick’s mouth grabbing his lips where blood dried.

“One day Caleb, you too will know the joy of the taste of blood.”