- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
oooh soo exciting, it's coming to a close, but don't worry I've already started writing DOV: Beginnings
The plane ride was too long for April’s liking, but there was nothing she could do about it, the plane would only fly so fast. She looked at her two companions, Kevin kept his gaze averted and Alex was fast asleep without a care in the world.

“Kevin,” April whispered. “What are you going to do once I get Caleb back?” She needed to know his answer, she needed to prepare herself.

Kevin only shrugged and continued to look out over Alex at the darkening sky. “I will find a way to destroy the Creator.”

April pursed her lips together, she wanted to tell him, she wanted to be honest with him but at the same time she never wanted him to leave her. She might have had questions about his past, but it was his past. She also knew that the Creator was not a threat to Caleb anymore; would he stay if he knew that too?

“Is there any way I can convince you to leave that hunt behind and have some kind of life with me and your son?” She asked knowing his answer before the question left her mouth.

“I do not want Caleb exposed to who I am or what I was. It will be a better life for him without me involved.” He wished he could stay, but he knew his past would catch up with him eventually and he wanted April and Caleb safe from that.

April nodded and looked down at her hands wishing the flight to move faster. A voice came over the loud speaker as if answering April’s silent prayers.

“Ladies and gentlemen please return your seats in the full and upright positions and lock your trays, we are beginning our descent.”

April gripped both her hands tightly and closed her eyes, imagining her son back in her arms.

*****

“I should have listened to my sister, you are no good.” May spoke spitting the words out with vehemence. “I can’t believe I let you have your way with me, I can’t believe I let you into my mind the way I did.”

“May, darling, you are weak, that is why I was able to control you. April is the strong sister, will always be the strong sister. You took the easy way out where she fights for what she wants.” He knew the words would anger her, he was looking for a fight, and he wanted a fight. He feared nothing that she could do to him; he was safe, protected behind the veil of the Creator.

May advanced on Brian, holding her weapons tight in her hand she practically flew at him, knocking him to the ground. She managed to sit astride him holding him down with her legs.

“Oh May, you know how I like it.” He winked at her and smiled. He registered the pain of the wood going through his chest moments later. “You should know that won’t hurt me.”

May paid no attention to the words Brian spoke, she drove the wood further into Brian and used the rock in her other hand to give one last pound. The shock that registered on his face was her reward. He was too confident, did not think he could be killed, but she kept the secret of the Creator’s death to herself. Advantage May, and she took it.

She sat in the garden, her clothes dusted with Brian’s ashes. She should have felt better; she got her revenge, why didn’t she feel better. She stood slowly, dropping her implements of death and brushing herself off.

She decided to go back to April; she needed to have April forgive her. She was the only one who mattered now.

She stepped quietly through the garden taking in the smells of the flowers with her new sense of smell. It truly was a wonderful thing, but something she shouldn’t have asked for because now there was a separation between her and her sister, something always to stand between them. She never could stand being apart from her sister and now she would never be around her again, she’d be too afraid of hurting her or Caleb.

She arrived back at the body of the Creator and looked where April’s body should have been, she could not find it. She looked all around and screamed in frustration. Her sister left without her, it was typical April behavior, only thinking of herself. She had not consideration for May or what she was going through. Anger surged through May as she swore she’d get her sister even for deserting her.

*****

The sun bathed the room with light as Nick held the bottle for Caleb to drink from. “You and me are going to be the greatest of friends. We will rule this world together.” He smiled at the baby. “You’d like that wouldn’t you, to live forever as my companion. What better revenge for your daddy then for you to become like him, the one thing he’d want you to never be, and the one thing he’s trying to protect you from.” He tickled the baby’s stomach and laughed. He had to admit, he liked having the child around. He couldn’t talk back, but he didn’t mind that so much.

He stood to put the bottle in the sink when the door smashed down, Alex, Kevin and April standing there glaring at him.

“Caleb!” April screeched in joy as she ran over to him, grabbing hold of him and then moving behind Kevin and Alex.

Nick smirked at them, “So you found me.”

“You did not hide well.” Alex said approaching him. Nick charged at Alex and they collided with each other, forcing each other backwards. They smirked at each other then charged again, Alex missed Nick’s slight movement to the side to grab a knife lying out on the counter.

The movement was swift but April’s scream rang through the small house. Nick stood glaring the other two down, ashes of Alex before him.

“You did not tell me the Creator was dead.”