- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It's done. I hope you enjoyed it and I hope you all will read DOV: Antigone, it is the story of how Antigone came to be who she was in these last two. There might be some surprise. Oh and DOV: Beginnings will be written after which is how all the boys came to be. :-D
Kevin only looked at April briefly showing his confusion, he did not have much time. Nick charged him once he found out that he could kill them.

“We are on the same ground now. We both fear death.” Nick smirked, swiping the blade at Kevin.

“That is where you are wrong. I have not feared death for over a millennia, I will welcome it when the time is right.” He grabbed Nick’s arm and pulled it behind him pinning it there, he gripped tighter until Nick was forced to drop the blade. “You are still a youngling compared to me.” He kicked Nick, sending him flying across the room.

April did not stay any longer, she had Caleb, as much as she wanted to know the outcome of the fight, whether Kevin would win protecting them or if Nick would win putting her son in danger again. She made her exit catching Nick knocking Kevin to the ground and kicking him continuously.

“You are old,” Nick screamed. “Let the younger generation take over, we will be the ones to save the vampire race. You and Victoria were so antiquated in your ways it is pathetic. Howie had it right; make them young and fierce to continue.” Nick wound his leg back to kick Kevin again, but his foot met with the wall, Kevin had slid out of the way.

“Her name is Antigone you know.” Kevin replied smugly punching Nick’s face.

“Did you ever wonder what I wanted with your little boy?” Nick asked taunting Kevin. “He was going to be my new companion to replace the one you killed.” Nick spat across the room towards Kevin, then rushed towards him. He did not notice Kevin move and almost ran into the other wall.

“Such anger and impatience. Howie should have taught you more, he neglected you.” Kevin knew this would anger him, Nick was always sensitive about the way Howie protected him, kept him hidden.

“Bastard!” he shouted running towards Kevin. It was what he was waiting for, he smashed Nick on the back of his neck knocking him forward an onto the ground. He put one foot on him holding him down grabbing a wooden t.v. tray and breaking apart with his hands. Tossing a piece into his dominant hand he plunged the wood into Nick’s chest through his back. His foot soon rested on ashes on the floor.

Kevin turned his head towards the pile of ashes that was Alex. “Rest well my friend; you finally got the end you desired.”

He turned towards the door and left, he would end his existence now too, now that he knew he could, but he wanted to see April one more time. He wanted to apologize to her; he wanted her to forgive him before he left this world forever.

*****

April waited at the airport. The last few days were going to be killer on her budget, she only hoped her employer would have a heart and let her come back, or reapply for her old position. She sat in a lounge holding Caleb tight, she had what she wanted from this trip so why was her heart still heavy?
Her heart skipped a beat in her chest as she saw a man walk by that looked like Kevin. Tall with dark hair and a constant sad look on his face, it could almost be a brother. Her stomach churned a few times as the man started walking towards her; it was no look alike; Kevin was approaching her.

“Kevin?” She asked barely above a whisper.

“April, I could not end it then. I needed to see you to make sure you were okay. I needed to make sure you and Caleb made it home safe.” He brushed a strand of loose hair from her face smiling ever so slightly.

“You did not have to come back, we will be fine. Do what you’ve been longing to do.” April smiled shyly at Kevin. She wasn’t sure why she was all of a sudden shy with this man, the man she had a child with, the man she loved.

“I will see you home, I already have my ticket.” He held up a plane ticket to show April. He smiled and took her hand as they waited for their plane to board.

Since they bought their ticket separate they were unable to sit next to each other on the plane ride, it was a long few hours before they were back arm and arm, Kevin carrying his son back to April’s apartment.

When back at the apartment they put Caleb to bed like any other normal couple would do.

“Kevin,” April said taking hold of his hand and pulling him onto the bed. Caleb was sleeping only a few feet away so the two lovers held each other tight.

“April,” Kevin whispered. “I must know that you are alright with what you know I’ve wanted to do.”

“Kevin, I’m not going to lie and say that I don’t want you with me for the rest of my life, but that would be selfish of me. You have lived a long life and have done things I am sure I don’t want to know about. There are things that torment you, and that is why you want to end your existence. I realize that. I will not stop you.” She held him closer putting her head in the crook of his shoulder. “But please stay with me tonight.”

Kevin murmured a positive answer and stroked April’s hair until she fell asleep. They passed the night like any other couple in love.

April woke the next morning to the cries of her son, she looked next to her Kevin was already gone. She laid her head where his was, it was still slightly warm. She took a deep breath then got up to attend to her son.

*****

Several months passed since Kevin snuck off in the night to end his existence, April and Caleb were getting their life back to normal. Caleb even started to talk, though it saddened her that his first word was “Papa”. She had no good explanation to tell him anymore, nothing really to tell him what happened to his father.

She sat watching him eat his breakfast, making a mess, when a knock came at the door. April’s heart jumped into her throat with the hope that Kevin was coming back to them. She threw up the door, her smile fading when she saw her sister glowering at her. Quickly she backed away remembering that the Creator took May’s emotions away from her.

“What do you want?” April asked aghast at how well her sister seemed to adapt to her vampire lifestyle.

“I wanted to see my nephew again.” She grinned evilly towards her sister then turned towards Caleb. “He’s growing.”

April held her breath, what was May going to do next. Was this the end for her and her son?

“April, end it for me.” May spoke quietly, her face downcast. “I’ve tried, but have been unable. Now I know the courage that Kevin had in order to do desire this and have the will to perform it himself.”

“May?”

“April, now, before I do something to harm you or Caleb!” she screeched at her sister, moving closer to her.

April looked around her trying to find something anything to use as a weapon against the evil that was her sister. She found a picture frame, a picture of the two of them holding Caleb after April came from the hospital. April smashed the frame and grabbed part of the wood.

May stuck out her chest towards April. “Thank you.” She muttered seconds before April pushed the wood through her sister’s chest. She looked towards Caleb, his face intent on his cereal. Luckily he missed the whole thing.

April knelt down in the ashes and cried for everyone she lost in the last year. Her eyes looked up at Caleb who was laughing at some thing or another. It was over; she truly reached the end of her fight to remain alive.