- Text Size +
The workday ended and April trudged to the daycare facility brightening immediately when she saw the daycare provider carrying Caleb over to her. “There’s my big guy.” She said as she took him and snuggled closer to him. She carried him to the car and strapped him into his car seat, taking extra time to make sure everything attached correctly. The drive back to the apartment she still shared with May was quick. She pulled Caleb from the seat and started to make her way to the apartment when goose bumps covered her body. She held her son tighter and looked around her. She didn’t know what she was looking for, but lately she’s been able to tell that someone was watching her and it was becoming more frequent.

Since she could not see anyone, she knew the person was in hiding so she moved into the apartment quickly and locked the door, pulled formula out of the fridge and waited for May so she could prepare for her date.

“I can’t believe some people,” May yelled as she walked into the door. “There is a guy sitting in his car out there, just sitting watching the apartments across the street. At least that’s the direction he was facing.” May sighed and shrugged giving April a sense of relief with her comment. The person she felt was watching someone else.

May took Caleb and then followed April into her room, watching her and helping her pick out clothes and make-up for that evening. The doorbell rang shortly after they finished causing both girls to jump. April glanced at her watch, “That should be Bret.”

May held Caleb and followed her sister out of the bedroom, standing in the doorway of the room waiting to catch a glimpse of this guy Bret.

“Hello, April. You look wonderful.” Bret said when the door opened. April smiled back at him and invited him in to meet her sister and son. Bret stood slightly taller then April and he causally ran his hands through his dark brown hair before stepping closer to May and Caleb. “May I?” He held his arms out towards Caleb.

May glanced quickly at April who was nodding, before she handed him over. Bret bounced Caleb and talked baby talk to him, April stood watching. This man liked her child, already it was a good sign. She was ready to see if she could like Bret more then a co-worker.

They left the apartment and made their way to Bret’s car, for the first few minutes they both sat silent in the car as Bret turned on roads headed towards the restaurant. It wasn’t until they passed the one they decided on that the silence was broken.

“I know we already decided but I took a chance and called Room 438 to see if they had any tables, and the phone call right before me was a cancellation.” Bret looked over at April and grinned broadly. “I remember you said you had not been there yet.” It was a very sweet gesture, but April feigned her delight at the prospect of going there. It was the one place she vowed to herself she would not go to and here Bret was taking her because he it was a romantic gesture. April sucked it up and told herself that this was the perfect time to get over Kevin.

They found a spot to park the car and made their way in the building. The inside was beautiful. There were fresh flowers atop a table covered in a simple white linen tablecloth. April’s mouth fell open at the sight; she was glad she bit down and decided to eat at this restaurant.

Everything moved along like a dream. Dinner was delicious, the conversation was entertaining and Bret was polite and kind. April had to admit to herself, she was having a wonderful time. The couple ordered dessert and April excused herself to visit the ladies room. As she approached the back of the restaurant, she paused catching a glimpse of a man not dressed up enough to be eating there but not wearing the uniform of the wait staff. From the angle she stood, April swore she was looking at Kevin. She gasped and moved closer, the figure saw her and turned quickly towards the exit. April tried to hurry after. “Kevin?” She called out with no answer.

She followed until she reached the kitchen; a waitress coming out of the kitchen stopped her from entering. “Can I help you find something?” the lady asked her. April tried to look through the swinging doors for any sign of the man she just saw.

“I thought I saw a … friend.” April replied before turning around and completing her trip to the restroom. The rest of the evening she sat quiet, listening as Bret talked. Leave it to her mind to manifest Kevin and ruin her evening.

*****

He sat in the darkest corner he could find, where hopefully she would not see him. He followed her here from her apartment. He intended only to watch her when she had the child with her, but when she left the apartment with that man a feeling he long forgot surged over him. Kevin was jealous and he knew it. He had no right to feel this way, he was the one who kept himself out of her life for her protection, it was only natural that she would move on and find someone else. He only knew April for a brief time, they did not get to know each other fully, but he was drawn towards her.

He watched as she stood and made her way closer to where he sat. Did she know he was there? He looked at her body sway side to side slightly and the she stopped walking suddenly. She was looking straight at him; he froze for moment and then bolted quickly towards an exit.

He heard his name but moved quickly towards the trap door that led to the dungeon. He was surprised it existed still when he found it, but did not question it. He found the entrance useful many times and now was one of them. He stood just behind the door listening as April stammered her answer to the other person. He sighed to himself; he needed to be at the apartment watching the boy, not spying on his mother because of jealousy. Kevin shook his head and found the outside exit. He headed back to the apartment to watch over the boy.

*****

He covered himself in rags and old clothes and slumped next to the dumpster outside of the restaurant waiting for the person to exit the building. He watched and waited and when the lone dark figure emerged from secret alley entrance the man who looked like any other homeless person followed closely.