- Text Size +
April smiled at Bret standing across from her outside her apartment door. “I had a really great time,” April said, actually surprised that she meant what she said.

“I’m glad.” Bret’s smile faded from his mouth suddenly. “Look, April I like you but I don’t want to feel that I forced or bothered you so much that you agreed to go out on this date with me.”

April shook her head, “No Bret, really, I am glad I went out with you. It’s time I moved on for myself and Caleb. I am glad that you were the one that asked me out.” Having said that, April leaned forward and was pleasantly surprised when she felt Bret’s warm lips touch hers, she returned the kiss. A crash from nearby startled the two and they stood looking somewhat scared at each other.

“Well I should get inside and check on Caleb.” April finally said, breaking the brief silence.

“Yes, I should get home too; I have some prep work before I get into the office tomorrow.” Bret waited for April to open her apartment door and go inside before he turned and returned to his car.

April stood inside leaning on the door smiling and sighing happily.

“Good date?” May asked.

April turned around to face her sister and nodded. “How’s Caleb?”

“Sleeping like the angel he is.” May sat on the couch and patted the spot next to her. “Tell me about your date.”

April sat down and looked at her sister, “It was wonderful, until the end.”

“What did he expect to go all the way with you after date one?”

April shook her head. “No I got up to use the restroom and I swear I saw Kevin sitting in the restaurant, of course it was probably my imagination since we went to Room 438.”

May gasped slightly. “I thought you were never going to set foot in that place.”

April shrugged, “It’s beautiful inside and the food is great. Besides it’s time to move on.” Standing she moved towards the room she shared with Caleb. “I think it’s time for me to head off to bed.” She opened the door feeling a blast of air from the open window. “May did you…” She started to question her sister until movement from the corner caught her eye.

April shrieked as she watched a man emerge from the shadows and made his way towards the open window carrying a bundle with him. This man had her son, yet she could not move, she could not breathe, her whole world was slipping through her fingers. The light from the streetlight outside came across the face of the mysterious man.

“Nick…” April choked on the name as she watched him smirk and jump out the window.

She could hear the scream, but she had no idea it came from her. May was at her side quickly then she was looking out the window in the direction Nick was running. She ran to get the phone before April found her voice again.

“Who are you going to call?” April sobbed.

“The police, who else, he kidnapped Caleb!” May was hysterical and couldn’t believe her sister was so calm.

“What are they going to do? He was kidnapped by Nick May, Nick. The undead Nick.” Now April was letting the hysterics flow. “You know the vampire? The one who we supposedly helped to kill last year. What the hell was he doing here? I would have thought that they were all dead.” She found herself pacing the bedroom between the window and crib. She looked out the window and saw a familiar person in the lot.

Quickly April ran out the front door and out into the lot. “Did you see where that man went?” She yelled at the person. “He has my son.” April approached Bret’s open car window, letting out another shriek when she saw Bret slumped over on the driver’s side, blood dripped from two wounds on his neck. “No,” She whispered falling backwards onto the pavement.

May followed her sister and sat down next to her on the pavement. “This is not your fault.” May held her sister and pulled her close. “We should get back inside.”

The girls stood and started towards their apartment. There was a rustling in the bushes and April grabbed her sister’s arm and watched.

“April,” The man who emerged said.

April turned to May and sobbed. “Now I think I am losing it, my Kevin apparition is now talking.” She cried and leaned on her sister more.

May stared at Kevin and looked at her sister. “April, you aren’t losing it. Because I see him and heard him too.”

April shot her head up and looked at Kevin. “Are you real?”

Kevin stepped closer. “I’m sorry, I knew this was coming.”

April flew at Kevin banging her fists on his chest. “It is you, you are here. Why were you following me tonight? Why didn’t you tell me you were still living? Why did you let me mourn you?”

Kevin held her arms to keep them from hitting him anymore. “I thought it would be better for you and your son with out me in your lives. Besides I should’ve died, and you thought I was dead, I didn’t want to intrude.”

“I hate you!” April screamed at Kevin, broke her arms from his grasp and ran into the apartment and into her bedroom.