- Text Size +
May woke refreshed for the first time in a year. She pulled the body next to her closer and held on tight afraid that he might disappear and the feelings he knew how to give her would go with him.

“Morning?” Brian’s voice came from next to her.

“Yes, a wonderful morning.” She smiled up at him the thought hitting her, when did he need to eat next. She shrunk back, releasing him. “Are…are you… hungry?”

“Famished,” his lips formed a smile. “But not for blood.” He grinned again and moved his lips to meet hers.

A thought struck May, it was a fleeting thought last night but now she must ask. “Won’t the Creator be angry with you? April was impure, I was the last pure one and you have taken that from me.”

Brian shrugged. “The Creator spurned me last night. She claimed I wasn’t faithful and says she has found a new faithful follower. I am no longer hers.” He hoped he sounded sincere.

May’s heart did a flip inside her chest. She hoped this meant that they could finally be together that she could have a love like April had Kevin. She moved towards him again moving her lips towards his.

Brian held back his desire to bite her lips, the blood flowing through them would intensify his pleasure when they were one. He kept his teeth away from her flesh to avoid the temptation but he knew he would have to have some kind of nourishment soon. In over a year the taste of blood did not pass through his mouth, he was still weakened from it and needed more to recover fully.

Suddenly a thought flew across his mind. “Your sister…” he hissed. He almost went into telling her that they needed to leave so that her sister and Kevin could not find them and destroy him before his plans could come to fruition. Instead, he made something up quickly, “Your sister and Kevin, they still think I had something to do with Caleb going missing. We cannot let them find us or they will lock me up and find a way to destroy me when they finish the Creator.”

“I’ll just explain to her…” May began.

“I’m afraid Kevin will have painted a picture of a very evil me, he will never be convinced.” He hung his head proud that she was lapping this falsehood up. “No we must find Caleb and return him unharmed to his parents, it’s the only way we can convince the two that I am no longer the pawn of the Creator.” He held his laugh inside, he was not a pawn ever, and he was her right hand man the one that would sit by her side when the time came to rule over this land.

He could tell May was thinking things through, he wanted to help her make her mind up to what he wanted but he knew it would ruin things; she had to come to this decision herself. “It makes sense. We should leave to find Caleb. All I know is it was Nick that took him.”

“Nick huh?” What did that illegally made punk want with the child? He had no loyalty to the Creator why would he steal the child. “Well he might be making his way to the Creator through the many different safe houses we have, I think I know one he might be at.” He stood and grabbed his shirt and jacket watching May put her clothes on. She would make a great vampire, he thought to himself. “Ready?” He asked. May nodded and they were on their way.

*****

Kevin and April searched five of the safe houses already and at two of the houses, they were confronted by vampires that hated Kevin. April was learning quickly to defend herself and Kevin promised he would teach her more when they knew where to head.

Kevin kicked open the door at the newest safe house and walked inside. There was nobody there, but they didn’t expect actually to meet up with Brian, they were only looking for clues.

“Another dead end.” April stated after looking around for anything that might mean May and Brian were here at one point.

Kevin looked towards April and shook his head. “Someone was here.”

“How can you tell?” She questioned him.

He pointed towards the bed, sheets rumpled and a head imprint still apparent on the pillow. He reached down and touched the sheets. “Still warm, it was not long ago someone was here. I believe we are on to him.” Kevin looked up at April and smiled.

April sighed but could not help be worry still, the search turned up no information on either her sister or her son. “How will we know where they went next?”

“Your sister knows who took Caleb?”

April nodded, she couldn’t help but tell May, she was her sister and at the time, she did not know May would run to Brian.

“I believe they will be looking for Nick. I hope that he learned something from Howie on our ways and hiding or this will be a short search for Brian.” Kevin moved to the door steering April out of the room.

*****

Nick could feel that he was being watched. He did not know from whom or from where but he knew he needed to move on. He found a dog carrier bag and was pleased that Caleb fit inside. Mortals and their animals, he laughed. Grabbing the blankets he took when he took Caleb, Nick moved quickly and quietly.

Suddenly his head pounded and he felt a pull, the feel was familiar, someone was trying to call him in. He knew only one other vampire beside Howie would have that power over him. Not even the Creator could pull him towards her will, for she did not create him that was all Howie’s doing.

“Brian,” He whispered. “So you finally got away from Kevin.” He grinned and left the apartment fighting against the pull. “Not this time old Master.” There was too much anger boiling inside Nick for him to give in and let Brian take this from him, he deserved his trophy