- Text Size +
Alex only left watching Nick for a few moments to grab a rat or two from the alley nearby. When he returned he found the apartment vacant. Angered with himself he slammed his hand into the metal of the fire escape. He ran down the rickety stairs and over to the other building finding his way into the safe house. There had to be something that said where they were going.

He was looking around the tiny bedroom, looking at the makeshift crib that held the child only moments before when he heard voices out in the hallway. There was a girl’s voice and… he gasped as he heard Kevin reply to the female voice. He flew towards the window whipping it open and jumping onto the landing as Kevin, having heard a noise, flew after him.

“Alex?” Kevin asked after him in shock.

Alex looked up in shock and started to run off, but was able to hear the woman in the room before he left, “Kevin the baby was here.”

“So,” Alex mumbled to himself. “Kevin is looking for the child; I need to find out why.” He ran as fast as he could to reach one of the many vampire libraries that hid throughout the city.

*****

May wanted to chat with Brian as they did when they would eat lunch together. They talked about work, life and what ever else was going on in their lives. May mostly talked and Brian listened intently. She hoped that they could get back to that after awhile she missed their chats.

“Brian where are we going?” She asked after they walked for at least two hours.

Brian shrugged and tried answer with a carefree sound. “I can’t remember where the safe house is.” That was not true, he knew where the safe house was he was walking around because he felt Nick move from the safe house and he could sense him to a point and then it seemed as if he disappeared. Howie must have been teaching him how to disguise himself from people, of course, he would have taught him, how else did Nick stay unnoticed for hundreds of years. Now it seemed that Nick was also learning to avoid the pull that he, Brian, had over all vampires.

He finally decided to forgo looking for Nick on the streets and see if he could find any clues to where he was going or what his plans were for the baby at the safe house he last felt Nick at.

As they approached the building, Brian felt him, Kevin. How Brian wanted to charge into the place and attack Kevin, he may not be able to kill him but he would make him live a slow painful rest of his existence. He dare not do what he wished with May tagging along with him, after all, where Kevin was April surely was not far behind. He could not risk April taking May away, not after he set up a new plan and set it in motion.

Turning he took May by the elbow and began to steer her away.

“Where are we going?” She asked a bit louder then Brian though she should. His hand came down on her mouth and he began to pull her forcefully away. When they were safe distance, Brian released May and let her talk as loud as she wanted.

“What are you doing?” she promptly yelled when he released her. “Why did we leave there so quickly and why did you keep me from talking?”

Brian looked at her with softness in his eyes she remembered from when they first met. “Kevin was there.”

“But we could have tried to talk with them; I could have convinced April you changed.” She looked at him hopeful. She wanted to go back and tell her sister she had a love like hers but the look on Brian’s face said that was impossible.

“They would only say that I was manipulating you. They would feed you some nonsense about me and I couldn’t stand it if you believed them.” More then likely they would tell the truth about him, but he couldn’t let May know that.

May looked at him unsure of what he was saying but his face was the face she remembered from when they first met, it was hard to say ‘no’ to him. “Where are we going now then?” She asked meekly.

Brian grinned; he loved the submissiveness of May. He was certainly glad he chose May to try to control when they discovered the girls of the prophecy. April would have been difficult; she was defiant and independent, traits he always hated in any woman but the Creator. He also chose to control her himself, it was years since the last time he controlled a woman, he missed the joy it gave him. “We can only move on, I did not sense Nick so they have not found him yet either.” He at least, knew that was true.

*****


April lay curled up on the bed tears uncontrollably falling from her eyes. “He was here.” She wailed repeatedly. Kevin was sitting next to her running his fingers through her hair, trying to sooth her. He could think of no words that would help so he only sat with her. Finally, he tried to speak with her.

“April we will find Caleb. Nick is not that far ahead. At least he’s not already with the Creator.” He knew they weren’t words of great comfort but he had not had to comfort anyone with such feelings before.

April looked up at Kevin, her eyes puffy and read from crying. She wiped her nose on her sleeve before she spoke. “We need to leave. If he was close then we need to leave to hopefully catch up with him.” She flew off the bed and towards the door.

Kevin wasn’t sure he should tell her the other thing he felt, that Brian was near the apartment. He didn’t want to have April choose between finding her son and saving her sister. It was imperative that they find Caleb before the Creator could plunge the world into darkness.