- Text Size +
“Brian” Sydney said begging for this attention again as they walked out of the grocery store “ I don’t want one.”

Looking at the groceries he walked to his car “You don’t want a baby? You mean you want an abortion?” he asked looking at her.

“Yes.” She said.

“Well” he stuttered back, this was going to set his career back as well.

“Ok, then I’m going to do it. I’ll go see a doctor today. Lets go now and do it.” She said.

“But, it was our mistake don’t you think we should take responsibility for our actions?” Brian asked as they approached the car at the end of the parking lot. He opened the trunk and started putting the groceries in.

“Hey, I have rights too, I didn’t know we were going to get pregnant. And I don’t want to raise this child. I don’t want to take it full term either. I don’t want it.” She paused watching as her boyfriend looked ahead focusing his mind on the groceries. His feelings had been hurt, she was as shallow as everyone was saying. He knew it, he just never wanted to say it.




“You’re phone should be working right away” the man said, turning to Brian as they approached the front door. Brian nodded and thanked him signing the last agreement, watching as the man left shutting the door behind him.

“Now I need furniture.” He said to himself. He walked over to the counter and pulled out a phonebook from the dresser. As he sat down he started flipping through the pages, but before he could get that far into the ‘stores’ section, his cell phone went off.

Taking it from his pocket he looked at who was calling him. Again it was his dad.

“I’m not talking to you” he said to the phone shoving it on the counter, watching it buzz as he continued on his task. A beep came through, Brian looked up again from the book towards the phone. His dad had left a message. “I’m not calling you back though.”

He opened his phone and dialed the code for his cell phone then listened as the message replayed.

“Brian, this is your dad. You really have us worried up here, you’re phone is still charged which means at least you are taking care of that. Anyway your mother got a call about Sydney and the baby although you know how unenthusiastic we are about the circumstances. Still you know where we are and you can call us…. One more thing, I’m giving your brother some old furniture – yes he finally made an appearance, I really wish you two would sit down and talk. The furniture is In a storage centre in Frankfurt gathering dust, anyway if there is anything you might want. Although as God is my whiteness I don’t know why it would be that valuable or why it’s desirable. Anyway this is getting long, and I have to get back to work.

“Brian I hope you’re all right, please give us a call. I know you’re upset with someone for some reason, but at least call your mother to ease her mind. Love you, bye”

“Beep” the phone said “Please press seven if you want to delete this message, please press nine to save –“ Brian hung up his phone.

“What a coincidence” he said slyly, he looked back towards the book turning the pages to the storage centers, searching around. He found the first one and dialed the number.”

“Franks Storage.” A man answered.

“Hello. I was wondering if you had any furniture there under the name of Littrell?”

“Just a moment” the man replied and left the phone for a moment “Did you call earlier this morning?”

“Umm” Brian tried to think “It might’ve been my dad that called.”

“No, I distinctly remember it was someone younger” the man replied “The keys are down at the front desk if you want to come grab them. I’ll just need a signature and I.D.”

How easy was this? Brian smiled, “Oh yeah, it was me. I apologize for that. Thank you. I’ll be right down to pick it up.” He said. So his brother was in town, and his dad had said he wanted anything that it was there too. “Thank you, buh-bye.”

Writing the directions down on a piece of paper he stood up and walked to the door, ready to go to the storage center.

When he got there, he realized how old the place was. It looked like it hadn’t been refurbished in twenty years. Stepping out of the car Brian walked into the main building and provided his I.D. and a signature to the man and in return received the keys.

“It’s B-13” the man said as he walked out the door. Brian nodded and headed towards building B, as he started down the rows he tried to think to see if he had been here before.

“We couldn’t have afforded this” he said to himself walking up to the place where a large B with a dash 13 was “Ok” he said to himself looking down at the key putting it in the huge lock, he turned the key and felt the latch at the bottom and center of the door. He lifted it up watching as the furniture was revealed. “This isn’t bad.” He said looking in on the furniture.




“Brian” Sydney let herself into the house, “I did it.” Brian pulled off his sweaty shirt looking at her as she came in the door “You look sexy.” She said smiling putting her purse down, she looked over to the side at the furniture “What’s that smell, it’s like a cat died and someone poured perfume over it.”

“This is my parent’s furniture.” Brian breathed out heavily “What do you mean what did you do.”

“Why’d you go and get some old furniture, it’s disgusting.” She said looking about, at the brown tables and orange and brown flowered couches.

“Sydney what did you want to tell me?” Brian said annoyed. Right now he didn’t want to talk about the furniture, he was trying to put things back where they were, so he could figure out what his past was like.

“I had the abortion.” She said simply.

“You did what?” he looked at her “We, we didn’t even talk about it.”

“Hey, I’m the one that’s carrying that baggage.”

“Baggage? It’s a thing Sydney; we created it together, why. We could’ve gotten married; we could’ve afforded it. Why’d, what –“

“Hello” Sydney looked at him “I didn’t want it.”

“Well what about me, what about the baby.”

“Brian he wasn’t alive! It was just an accident and now it’s taken care of.”

“Why didn’t you ask me to come with you?” he asked.

“ I don’t know, it doesn’t matter.” Sydney sighed “Why did you get your parents furniture? That’s the real important question here.”


….


“Honey” Jackie turned over wrapping her hands around her husbands waist, “Your phone is going off.” She whispered nuzzling her nose into the back of his neck.

“Mmmm” he mumbled searching around blindly for his phone. He found it and placed it near his ear. “Yes?” he asked, his voice was dry, and monotone.

“Hey Uncle Harold, it’s Kevin. I’m looking for Brian.”

“Best of luck” Harold muttered back as he started to pull the phone from his face to shut it off.

“No, Hey! Harold, I need to find him.” Kevin said desperately “We have a meeting.

“Talk to my wife” he said drowsily letting his phone fall behind his back. Jackie, luckily, moved back a little and picked up the phone.

“Hello?” she asked, trying to be nice.

“Jackie, sorry for calling so early, but Brian’s supposed to be at a meeting over here.”

“Over where?” Jackie asked, her husband mumbled something, probably asking her to hang up the phone.

“Sweden” Kevin replied.

“Kevin, didn’t you try his cell.”

“He doesn’t answer it?”

“No. I’ve called for days now.”

“Well apparently he’s done the same to us. Try his girlfriends cell.” She said yawning. Her husband turned over in towards her.

“Mark called me today, she’s back in Florida.” He mumbled.

“Sorry Kevin, we haven’t been able to get a hold of him.”

“Yeah” Kevin replied “Sorry again for waking you.” He said before he hung up the phone. Jackie reached passed her husband to put the phone away Then laid back down pressing her hand on her husbands chest.

“Will you try him again, please” she asked “In the morning?”

“Mmm” he mumbled back.

“Harold” she asked softly, “will you call Dirk?”

“Right now?” he asked opening his eyes again.

She nodded “Please”

“Honey it’s two in the morning there.”

“I know.” She said “Please.”
Chapter End Notes:
Enjoy the updates...