- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Um... so sorry it has been forever.. lots has happened.. here is more.
rian sat up from sleeping on the couch watching the fog as it covered the land in the front yard. He saw a broad figure walking up towards his door.

The doorbell rang so he sat up and answered it “Hello?” he said drowsily.

“Brian, I’m Officer Dirk Clarke from the FCPD –“

“Say what?” Brian asked rubbing his eyes, it was six in the morning.

“I’m Dirk Clarke, and officer at the Fayette County Police Department.’

“What’d I do?” he asked, everything he had done while he was there was by the book.

“I just need to ask you some questions. May I come in?” he asked. Brian nodded scratching the back of his neck as he moved to the side.

“Dear Lord in heaven.” Dirk looked about, it was as if he had been transported back more than twenty years “you really pinned the tail on this donkey. Where’d you get this furniture from?” he paused breathing for a moment “Heck” he said as he couldn’t help gawking at the place.

“It’s my parents. I bought the house.”

“I thought you looked familiar” Dirk smiled out the side of his mouth, his hands on his hips as he gazed about “Well I’ll be” he said shaking his head.

“You said you had some questions?” Brian said folding his arms.

“Yeah, one is why the hell do you go scaring good folks like your parents. I got a call from your Pa about two this morning. You certainly know how to tie those people up into a real knot.”

“Excuse me, but I left home a long time ago. I’ve been living on my own for the past four years. I need my space.”

“Apparently” Dirk said looking about, he walked over to the banister feeling along the railing “humph” he said amused as he moved the loose wood railing. He turned around and looked at Brian “I’m assuming you bought this with cash then.” He sighed.

“Yeah, why does it matter?” he asked.

“It doesn’t in retrospect.” He said smiling



Jolie sat in the diner her plate of food pushed a little in front of her so she could spread the paper out before her. Then she saw him. Mr. Littrell, he was walking in, quickly she put the paper up to cover her face.

“Can I sit here?” he asked, Jolie looked up seeing he was standing beside her looking over the paper.

She smiled politely “I guess” she said putting the paper down “I’m already done anyway” she said.

“Please” he said politely “Stay.”

She nodded “Ok” she said.

“Listen, I know I was jerk at the hospital, especially after what you did for me after my accident. I, uh, I want to apologize.” He said looking at her.

“Really” she put her hand on her chin, and let her elbow rest on the table “Really?”

“Really” he smiled “I was a jerk. I was a jerk to a lot of people.”

“You’re telling’ me. You were a real pain in the but.” She smiled.

“Yeah.” He smiled looking at the table “I’ve been selfish.” He said softly, then looked up, his blue eyes were being sincere, Jolie wasn’t prepared for this, she was confused at what he was talking about.

“Oh, you can’t be that bad.” She insisted, feeling sad for him.

“I am.” He said, “I got this girl because she was a model, I dated her because she was an easy catch. I figure life’s about me. I wasn’t like that a log time ago. I’m just happy when I get my way.”

“Hey, it’s not all your fault” she said, still confused “Are you, and” Jolie couldn’t remember her name “the girl –“

“Sydney” Brian replied, “I broke it off” he sighed. “I don’t know what I’m even doing here now. I just had the county sheriff come over to my house this morning, and apparently everyone knows what happened to me but me.”

“What do you mean? I mean unless it’s personal.” She sighed, then saw her watch she was going to be late for work, her break was almost over “Why are you here?” she asked.

“I don’t know, really.” He paused looking up at her, she showed no sign she had to leave “I just needed a friend.”

“Yeah” Jolie replied, she could use that, just a friend, not someone after her for something else. “Well, what are you doing later tonight?” she asked.

“Sitting at home, trying to figure out why I feel so alienated in it.” He said then looked up.

“Well, why don’t you come with me bowling tonight? It’s the best local fun there is.” She smiled.

“You sure?” he asked, a little shocked, at this open invitation.