- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I know it would be just too cruel to leave you all hanging on the last chapter, tell me your thoughts, eh.
“Oh my gosh," Jackie moved her chair back, and Harold pushed Kate away so he could pick up the broken glass that was now on the floor. “Pam, I’m so sorry” she said looking up; Pam had dropped her fork on the floor as well.

Pete looked down watching, Harold scoop up some pieces, walking to the kitchen “Pete do you have a empty box or something, like a cracker box?” he asked. Pete walked in, grateful for the opportunity to exit.

Once in the kitchen Pete searched around the cupboards, “here’s a Ritz box” he said pulling out the last packaged Ritz stash stuffing it in the corner of the cabinet. He opened the box wide so Harold cut drop the contents from his hands. “We’ve got a sweep in here.” He said walking towards the closet. Then they both looked at each other and had to laugh for a moment.

“You followed out of there faster than someone running from a fire” Harold said smiling a little.

“I hate awkward silence.” Pete said they both looked over at the dinning room.

“Well it’s still there.” Harold said, taking the broom, he walked inside, as he and Pete chuckled on more time. Jackie was on the floor now, trying to pick up the frame then saw her husband looking over at her smiled for a moment and continued to help her husband clean up the mess.

Taylor and Baker sat at the table, both too embarrassed to speak; their parents had effectively made a massacre of the evening.



“You saw the picture didn’t you” Jackie cuddled in close to her husband wrapping her hands around his waist resting her head on his chest smelling the fabric in his dress shirt. He put his book down; in his lap wrapping his arm around her shoulder, running his fingers along her other arm.

“I did” he replied.

“It has to be him, Harold” she said looking up at him. “Can you have someone draw a picture of what Brian would look like now?” she asked. “They do that all the time for missing children.”

He was as anxious as she was; it was hard losing his son. After five weeks of searching through the whole creek there was no body, no sign of Brian anywhere. “I’ll see if Dick can get a drawing for me tomorrow” he said looking down at her.

“If they’ve had him the whole time” Jackie whispered, looking up at her husband, who was staring at the wall listening to her.

“Mommy” Jackie looked over seeing the door open and the top of her little girls head coming closer. Katie peered up over the bed crawling up in her parent’s lap. “Baker and Taylor are watching a scary movie.”

Harold looked at his watch “I think it’s time to break up their little party.” He said kissing his daughter’s head moving out off the bed. He walked out of the room and down the stairs to where Baker and Taylor were cuddling “Baker, it’s late.”

“Ok Dad.” Baker said looking back at the television.

“Baker” Harold repeated, Baker nodded, he understood, it was time for Taylor to go home.

He stood up watching her get up, they walked to the door “I guess it’s getting late” he said, Taylor nodded she walked to the door to her car.




Ryan woke up early in the morning, he had had his same dream the night before, and he couldn’t remember it now, it was like it always had been. He would dream about something and soon forget it. He picked up a piece of paper ready to write his sister.

Hey Tay,

I had my dream again, and once again I only remember the part at which I am at the creek taking of my shoes. For some reason I know I’m not supposed to be by the creek but I wanted to be, I was bored with something. I know I took off my shoes, as I sat in the grass I felt the water around my feet, the grass around my feet. After that I saw something flash, and I can’t remember anything. I’m trying, like you said, I write everything down each time I wake up, but when I read it in the morning it doesn’t make sense.

So anyway you said you and your boyfriend were having a dinner with Mom and Dad? How did that go, I think you’ve helped me make my writing better you know, all these love letters. The pictures you sent were cool too. Tay can you keep a secret,

I think I knew those people before I had my concussion. I don’t know how, perhaps they were friends or something.

Oh sis I can’t wait to come home, and see your smiling face and make up on, and the bathroom door being hogged by you. Tell Mom and Dad hi.

Mr Joker,

Ryan

Ryan folded the letter up at sat in his cot, he couldn’t help but wonder where he had known these people, these people that he had seen in the pictures, their faces were so familiar.



“What do you have for me Dick?” Harold asked walking into the chief artists office, he was slaving over his best guess of a five-year age difference in Harold’s son.

“This is a rough, but it has to be it” he said handing over the drawing. Harold looked at it, he was ready to call in whatever he needed, it looked identical to the picture, mixed emotions filled his soul.

“Good job” he managed, giving a thumbs up before he walked out of the office. He walked up the stairs to his own office; he picked up the phone dialing a team of detectives to investigate.



Ryan sat in the mess hall with his friend, Tanner as they ate their lunch, “The first thing I’m going to do when I get home, I’m going to play video games till I fall asleep in front of the television“

“Is Ryan Benson here?” A voice called from the corner of the mess hall, Ryan looked up. Four men in black and grey suits stood at the doorway, their hands crossed over each other in front of them, as if they were the secret service.

Raising his hand timidly, Ryan stood up looking at them. One of the leaders from the camp walked over towards them speaking for a moment, then he nodded beckoning Ryan forward.

“What’d you do?” Tanner asked, he was confused, he watched as Ryan walked forward following the men out of the mess hall.

As they met in the administrations cabin, Ryan was asked to sit, as the men introduced themselves.

The heavyset man, with a white beard and mustache introduced himself as Andrew Bissell, the next was a built man, shorter than Andrew. His name was Bart Thomas, the next Trenton McKee, and Keller Dayton. They informed him that they were from and that Trent, Andrew, and Bart were policemen and Keller was an attorney.

“Ryan, we’re going to need you to come back with us.” Keller said quickly.

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“We’ve found your parents” Keller licked his lips explaining quickly “Five years ago, you were lost in a storm, the Benson’s found you, they took you home –“

“What?” Ryan said confused, he was horrified “but I want to stay with my parents.”

“You don’t have a choice” Keller said.

“I don’t care who they are” Ryan’s eyes turned to Keller then to Bart, then Andrew and Trenton “I want to go home to my parents.”

“Ryan” Keller placed his hand on Ryan’s shoulder but Ryan shrugged it off standing up, how could they do this to him. He loved his parents he didn’t want anyone else. “Ryan, you’re thirteen, you don’t have any legal say.

“My parent’s will fight for me.”

“Your real parents have the upper hand in the case.” Keller said, he licked his lips again, “Ryan, no matter how well-meaning Pam and Peter Benson were, they stole you from your parents. They made no attempt to contact local police, to report a missing person; they took you from right under your parent’s feet.”

“I don’t care” Ryan said, he was whimpering now “They didn’t care enough to come after me, why should I care.”

Andrew stepped forward “I’ll accompany back to your tent, we’ll get your things packed up, we have to leave in twenty minutes.”

Ryan shook his head, feeling tears fill his eyes. But the two policemen beside him urged him forward. They escorted him back to his tent were he started to pack up his things. As he walked out of the tent Tanner watched, asking what was going on.

“Ryan, where are you going?” he asked, following him as he was escorted to a black car. Ryan couldn’t answer while Andrew shut the door after he got in. He watched as the camp grew smaller and smaller.



By the time that they had made it onto the highway it was three hours later, and Keller had grown tired of the constant silence. With one whip of his hand he turned the dial on the radio finding a suitable station for his taste.

It was an old Frank Sinatra tune. Ryan watched as Keller tapped his leg to the tune looking at the rearview mirror every so often looking at Ryan.
Once they reached the airport the two of the policemen, Trent and Andrew excused themselves, while Bart stayed with Keller and Ryan.

While Keller checked in all of Ryan’s luggage, Bart walked with Ryan through security and to the gate where they waited to board the plane. Keller walked up a few minutes later as Ryan sat in the chair, Bart was sitting next to him, writing something down, a report of some sort.

“I thought you might want something to eat.” Keller said handing Ryan a sack from McDonalds, “There’s a cheese burger and some fries in there.” He said, he handed another bag to Ryan, the third he kept for himself opening it, pulling out a sandwich.

Ryan opened his and opened it slowly, pulling the burger out eating small portions. They ate their food in silence waiting for the flight.

“Flight 8-39 to Fairfax Virginia is boarding now” a women behind the counter said.

“Well that’s us” Keller remarked picking up his empty sack throwing it in the garbage. Bart patted Ryan’s back.

“Let’s go.” He said Ryan stood up and walked with them towards the gate.