- Text Size +
Chapter 12
December 23rd 2005

AJ had been waiting at the Eiffel Tower for an hour and still Win had not shown up. After waiting in the cold for half an hour he took Latecia into a nearby café to get her some hot chocolate and warm up. She wasn’t answering her phone and the rest of the crew had not spoken to her the rest of the day. He didn’t know what was up.
At the two-hour mark he began to worry. Something was wrong, Win would have at least called him if she was going to be any later than an hour. He tried her phone again but there still was no answer.
“Daddy, can we go now? I’m hungry,” Latecia asked. AJ looked over at her and then at his watch.
“All right, we’ll go back to the hotel and get some dinner. I’m sorry you didn’t get to see the tower today baby, but we’ll try another day before we have to go, okay?”
“Okay daddy, let’s go. I want to eat dinner with Winnie tonight.”
“We’ll see baby,” AJ helped Latecia on with her coat, gloves and hat before they went back out in the cold to get a cab. They were back at the hotel within a few minutes and hurried in out of the cold and snow.
AJ tried Win’s phone again but she still wasn’t answering. He called Brian and found out the guys were in the dining room.
“Hey, how was the tower?” Brian asked Latecia as they approached the table they were sitting at.
“We didn’t get to go up,” Latecia replied, taking a seat at the table beside Brianna.
“What happened?” Brianna asked.
“I don’t know, Win didn’t show up, we were waiting for her for two hours. She said she had a meeting, but she would meet us there. I’ve tried her cell phone but she’s not answering. Have any of you heard from her?”
“I saw her go upstairs with some people on my way in, I guess they were the people she was meeting with, but I didn’t get a chance to talk to her.” Brianna replied.
“We haven’t heard from her at all either man,” Kevin added.
“All right, she’s probably still talking with them, I’m gonna try calling her room before I go up there so I don’t interrupt. Can you guys keep an eye on Latecia for a few minutes?”
“Sure man, don’t worry about it,” Brian nodded.
“Okay, thanks, I’ll be back in a minute. Be good Latecia, I’ll be right back,” AJ said as he leaned down to give Latecia a kiss.
“I will daddy. Get Winnie to come to dinner, okay?”
“I’ll try.” He gave her another kiss, thanked the guys and went back out to the lobby.
“Could you please call Winifred Caldon’s room?” AJ asked the woman at the counter.
“Yes sir, who shall I say is calling?”
“AJ.” She nodded and called the room. She waited for a long time but it was obvious that there was no answer.
“Sorry sir, but I do not think she is in, maybe try later?” AJ nodded and decided he better just go up to the room.
He knocked on the door but received no answer. He tried her cell phone again and heard the ringing through the door.
“Win? Are you in there? It’s me, if you’re in there, let me know!” AJ called through the door. Again, no answer. He shook his head annoyed, wondering what was going on. He returned to his room, using the door that went between the two rooms to get into Win’s.
“Win, baby? Are you in here?” AJ called as he opened the door. He looked through the suit and all the rooms were empty. He went back out to the main room and found her files open on the table and then there was her box of her keepsakes. On the top were the clippings he’d seen only when he’d taken Win home to meet his mother. “BABY FOUND IN DUMPSTER BEHIND CHINESE RESTAURANT” glared up at him as it had when he’d first seen it.
A gust of wind blew in the room and sent the clippings flying to the floor and he turned to find the doors to the balcony open. He went over to close the doors and found Win shivering in the snow in the corner of the terrace.