- Text Size +
Chapter 18
December 23rd

“Hey, AJ, what did you do today?” Howie asked as AJ sat down at the table. Howie was reading the paper but did not bother to look up as he read. He and AJ were not exactly on the best terms ever since he had insulted Win on the day they arrived. AJ tried to keep up the pretense, mimicking the tone of Howie’s voice, telling him this was not the time for such pettiness.
“Lunch, with Bri and the girls.”
“Win hit on Brian yet, or is she saving that for the end of the tour?” Howie snapped.
“I’m not in the mood for this D, so you better lay off.”
“Why, too close to home?”
“I wouldn’t be saying shit like that right now, if you know what’s right,” AJ muttered angrily. Howie gave up any pretense of pretending he was reading and closed his paper, tossing it on the table.
“I don’t think you should be letting her back in so easily AJ, I don’t trust her anymore.”
“You don’t trust her? What are you so worried about?”
“You are my best friend AJ, I’m worried about you. You getting busted up over this girl,” he explained. AJ sat back and gave a frustrated sigh, rubbing his temples.
“The only one who is busted up D, is Win. She’s been having a really bad time of it the last few weeks.”
“Oh, you mean finding Nick with Jen, then hopping back into it with you? I imagine it’s been real tough,” Howie snapped.
“I wouldn’t be talking about things I didn’t understand if I were you, D,” AJ said softly, not looking at his friend.
“And why would that be? Afraid that I’m getting to the truth?”
“Jesus Christ Howard, could you give the girl a break!” AJ finally shouted. Howie was taken aback, AJ hadn’t called him Howard in very long time.
“What’s up then?”
“There is some shit going on, and she doesn’t need you all of this crap in her face, okay?” AJ replied.
“What shit is going on?”
“It’s none of your business!”
“What, is she messing around or something?”
“Howie,” AJ growled.
“What then? What is it?”
“It’s not my place to tell you, okay?” AJ tried.
“Look, I don’t exactly see why I should tip toe around her, so you got to tell me. What’s wrong, is she in trouble? Did something happen?” Howie put his anger away and looked to his friend. AJ could tell that Howie was concerned, not just blowing hot air.
“She, well, she got a big jolt the other day.”
“What happened?”
“Her parents found her.” Howie’s jaw dropped and his eyebrows furrowed.
“They found her? How, I mean, how could they have found her?”
“Through the foundation. They called up making like they wanted to make a donation and got a meeting with her.”
“She met her biological parents?”
“Supposedly, that’s what they told her. Thing was, they didn’t want to find her, to explain what happened. They basically admitted that they did it and asked her not to report them.”
“Holy hell, you mean, they tried to get rid of her?” Howie breathed, sitting back in his chair.
“I keep forgetting that you guys don’t really know how she ended up an orphan. The police found her in a dumpster behind a restaurant. Her parents are charged with attempted murder.”
“They tried to kill her and now they want her not to report them?”
“That’s right. But what doesn’t make sense, is if they didn’t want her to report them, why did they find her. She never had any intention to go look for them, I mean, it would have almost been impossible. She didn’t even have a birth certificate.”
“Do you honestly think that Win would turn them in even? I don’t she’d be capable of doing it,” Howie reflected. His stomach flooded with guilt, he’d been accusing Win, and being horrible to her and he just hadn’t known.
“I don’t think that’s what she’s worried about at this point. She’s just been shaken up. She’d made peace with all of this before and now it’s like the wound has been opened up all over again. She doesn’t know what to do with herself.”
“Did she talk to them?”
“No. She told them to leave. I don’t blame her. She says she doesn’t need to know them to be complete, and on some level I think she believes that. But on another, I think she does want to know them.”
“It’s only natural to be curious, I’d be more worried about the fact that she doesn’t want to know.” Howie replied.
“Do you see what I mean Howie? Do you really think that she could do what you were thinking of, especially considering how much she’s been through?”
“AJ, I’m gonna be honest with you. We’ve only known Win, for what, nine ten months, less than a year. Lets face it, her story isn’t conventional. Former drug addict, homeless, she gets a job, a promotion and a deal in less then six months, while she’s dating you. You have to ask yourself if you don’t find some things a little coincidental.”
“Win turned down Clive’s deal, remember,” AJ growled.
“Yes, I know that, but AJ, you remember the number of girls you went through, who were just after your money. And when Nick and her were at it, well, you just never can tell.” AJ let this sink in and thought about it. But it still wasn’t right.
“First off, what you need to remember is that Nick asked Win out on a date, not the other way around. Second, that never would have happened if I hadn’t pushed her away. Third, Nick was there for her, helped her through, took care of her when I hit her. They are better friends for it and I wouldn’t change it. Fourth, Win got that promotion because Daemon looked into her folder and made some inquiries. Five, Clive offered her a deal before she ever met us and turned that down as well. Six, I have tried to give Win money, numerous times, but she would not take it, not in any shape or form. Seven, Win’s been through some pretty traumatic shit in her lifetime, and would never do something to purposely hurt anyone. And eight, she loves me, I love her, so I trust her. Did I get it all?” Howie sat in stunned silence for a moment.
“I think so.”
“Good.”
“I’m sorry AJ, I really am.”
“I’m sure you are, damn,” AJ sighed, running a hand over his face.
“What’s the matter?”
“I just hope she can deal with this, I’m really worried about her.”
“Did she talk to you about it?”
“A little, but she didn’t really want to, and I didn’t want to force her.”
“Do you think that she’s gonna stay for the rest of the tour?”
“Why would she leave?”
“She might want to go find her parents. She might want to get to know them, find out about her past.”
“I don’t think she’d just up and go though. Maybe on our break or something. Win would never leave the tour in a lurch. Besides, she’s still in shock.”
“No, I know that, Win wouldn’t do that. I just mean, it’s been a lot of stress on her, she might not be thinking straight.”
“You’re right, we just gotta take it easy. One step at a time.”
“That too.”
“All right, I’m gonna check on her, she said she’d be down in a little while, but I don’t want to leave her alone for too long, she says she doesn’t want to talk about it, but I have a feeling she’s going to be brooding. I’ll see you later D,” AJ said as he got up from the table.
“Take it easy man.” AJ nodded and left the dining room.