- Text Size +
Chapter 24
December 24th, 2005

“Man, she’ll come over, I know she will.” Nick assured him as they relaxed on the couch. “It’s a Wonderful Life” was playing on the TV in front of them, while Latecia dozed in her own chair.
“It’s almost eleven. You should go get some sleep,” AJ said as he got up off the couch, grabbing the soda cans that had accumulated during their four-hour waiting session. Brian, Brianna and the baby had gone back hours ago so they could get to bed.
“What I should be doing is helping you bring out the presents for miss Latecia there.” Nick motioned to the sleeping little girl and AJ smiled.
“You’re right, I almost forgot about that. Which reminds me, you eat some of the cookies, I’ll get the milk.” AJ hurried back to the kitchen, leaving off the cans and going to the closet in his room. He got the one bag out and found a package that he didn’t recognize. It must have been from Win. He stopped and looked at the tag, reading, “To Latecia, From Winniefredie”.
He took the package out with the others to be put under the tree. Nick found the rest and they piled the packages around the base of the tree, until it looked like it was sitting on the presents itself.
“Thanks man, I owe you one,” AJ said clapping Nick on the shoulder.
“No thanks needed, I took the cookies,” crumbs fell out of his mouth as he spoke and AJ chuckled.
“Get out of here,” AJ laughed.
“Merry Christmas man,” Nick said, putting out a hand. They did a handshake then a hug before leaving.
“Merry Christmas to you too man.” Nick nodded and left the room.

AJ paced around the room several times before he even thought about calling again. He wasn’t surprised when her voicemail picked up. He would admit that he was now worried. He’d expected her to at least call him by now. Something wasn’t right. She wasn’t acting like herself.
He picked up the phone again and dialed her room. No answer. He called the desk and asked them to connect him to Win’s room.
“We’re sorry sir, but Winifred Caldon checked out two hours ago.” The desk clerk replied.
“Checked out! What do you mean checked out? Where did she go?” AJ jumped up from the bed and ran a hand through his hair.
“Sir, I’m not sure, but she did leave a note for, a, AJ, McLean.”
“A note?” AJ clung desperately to this piece of knowledge.
“We’ll bring it up right away sir.”
“Thank you.” AJ hung up the phone and quickly dialed Nick and Jen’s room.
“What did I forget?” Nick asked sleepily.
“She left.” AJ said simply.
“Who left?”
“Win! She left, checked out and everything!”
“All right man, calm down, I’ll be right over.” AJ hung up again and heard a knock on the door. He launched at the door and was presented with the note. He tore into it as he stood in the door way.
AJ,
I’m sorry, but I have to know, I love you.
-Win
AJ was still standing in the doorway, holding the note when Nick and Brian arrived.