- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, here it is ladies, the final chapter of Reinvent. Thanks for being patient and feedbacking on the story, I know I've been a bit lax, but, tis the crazy season! So I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!
Chapter 27
December 25th, 2005

At the hotel everyone sat and waited. There was nothing left to do but wait. AJ had left his phone behind so no one would know what was happening, whether or not he had found her or been able to convince her to stay. They were all worried. Worried about Win and what she’d been through, but also about AJ, and how bad he’d be if she left.
Howie felt especially guilty for having said the things he’d said about Win. He should have known that Win wasn’t that kind of person. She went out of her way to make sure people didn’t get hurt. She would never deliberately hurt anyone. This running away was a prime example. She was hurt, she was confused and definitely not thinking clearly. He wished he’d been a little more supportive of AJ and Win when he found out they were back together.
Howie knew from the talks he’d had with AJ that he wanted to propose, had wanted to ever since he came back from introducing Win to his mother and family. He’d gone so far as even looking at rings, but always came to the same conclusion, he wasn’t sure Win would say yes. AJ usually didn’t ask questions unless he knew what the answer was in the first place.
But there was nothing left to do but wait.
There was a knock at the door and Kevin leapt anxiously to open it, but it wasn’t AJ and Win, rather it was Denise.
“What are you doing here?” Kevin exclaimed, giving the woman a hug.
“I came to surprise my son on Christmas, besides I wanted to spend Christmas with my granddaughter,” Denise explained, passing out hugs.
“Why the large gathering, at this time in the morning, where’s Alex?” Denise asked finally.
“I’m surprised you didn’t run into him at the airport, that’s where he is now,” Brian replied.
“Why is he at the airport?” Denise asked, wide-eyed. Howie and Kevin took the time to explain the whole story.
“So she just packed up, and took off?” Denise asked.
“She did, though I don’t think anyone can blame her,” Nick chimed in.
“No, no, of course not, I just hope AJ has gotten to her in time.”

Not too far away, Win and AJ were standing on the balcony of the Eiffel Tower once more, looking out on the and the lights on Christmas. They stood their, gazing out at the city and taking in the atmosphere.
“Perhaps we should get along with the ceremony?” the old man said, clearing his throat.
“Don’t rush them dear,” his wife scolded. He smiled and nodded.
“No, we’re ready,” Win replied.
“Are you sure?” AJ asked, holding both of her hands in his. She didn’t falter for a second in nodding her head.
“I’m very sure.” They turned to the Justice of the Peace and he opened his book to read the traditional vows. AJ and Win looked at one another as they repeated the words that promised them to love, cherish, care, in sickness, health, wealth, poor, for as long as they lived.
“Do you have rings?” he asked.
“Rings? Oh, yes, this,” AJ said, pulling the serenity ring off of his hand.
“And you?” he asked Win. She thought a moment and took off the ring on the chain she wore around her neck.
“It was the ring that Elizabeth gave me, it was her husband’s, my father’s ring.” She smiled at AJ as she slid the ring into place on his finger and he in turn replaced the ring on her finger.
“By the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss your bride.” And AJ did, for a long time. When they finally parted they were alone on the balcony and they were both glowing.
“Are you glad that we got married?” AJ asked her, holding her close.
“Very, very, very happy. AJ, you are my angel, you got those wings baby, I’m telling you, you save me, every time.” He grinned at her.
“Does this change everything?”
“Like what?” she asked.
“Do you still have to reinvent yourself?”
“I think I already have. I’m a married woman, and there’s nothing about that I’d change,” she smiled at him.
“Good, I love you Beautiful, I truly do.”
“I love you too, my angel boy.”
“You think we ought to go back and tell everyone we got married?”
“I think at some point we’ll have to,” Win chuckled.
“This should be one great gift to everyone.”
“Yeah, it should.”
They took their time going back to the hotel, walking in the snow and enjoying Christmas and the fact that they were married. Once they were back inside and standing in front of the door, they waited.
“Are your ready for this?” Win asked.
“I don’t know, are you?” AJ turned to her with a grin a mile wide.
“I think you are,” she laughed quietly.
“Then, let’s go for it,” he kissed her and went to knock on the door.
“Wait a minute!” Win hissed.
“What?”
“You remember the other day, when you were wondering whether I had something to tell you?” Win asked.
“Yeah, what about it?” AJ asked, one eyebrow raised in suspicion.
“You remember what I said, when you asked me?”
“You said something like, ‘Yeah AJ, I’m pregnant, yup,’ so? What about it?”
“I wasn’t being sarcastic.”

THE END

OR

MAYBE NOT…