- Text Size +
Chapter 9
December 22nd 2005

When Win returned to the party she found Latecia and picked her up before going back to AJ. He noticed Win carrying Latecia over and saw the look on Win’s face. That could only mean one thing, the talk with Nick had not gone well.
“How are my girls!” AJ said as Latecia jumped into his arms.
“Good daddy! But Winnie is sad, you need to kiss her to make her smile,” Latecia giggled.
“All right, maybe later,” Win said smiling slightly, patting Latecia on the back.
“Daddy, can I go see the baby again?” Latecia asked looking over to Brianna and baby Winifred sitting by the window.
“Sure you can, but don’t annoy Brianna,” AJ said setting Latecia down on the floor. Latecia nodded and raced over to Brianna with a grin.
“What happened?” AJ asked immediately as he turned to Win, grabbing her hand in his.
“I yelled at him, and told him I was done with him.” Win replied, looking down at AJ’s hand.
“Did he explain anything to you?” AJ asked.
“Yeah, he did, but it doesn’t make up for what he did,” Win replied.
“This has nothing to do with the fact that you two were supposed to be dating, does it?” AJ asked, finally catching on.
“AJ, he didn’t even have feelings for me. It was always for Jen, he was trying to avoid watching her and Taylor be together. It bothers me because he couldn’t be honest with me and tell me this before I found them, and before he hurt Taylor.” Win replied.
“All right beautiful, all right,” AJ said putting his arms around her.
“Can we just get out of here for a while?” Win asked, muffled by his chest.
“Yeah, let me just ask Brian to watch Latecia for a minute,” AJ said letting her go and staring at Win.
“It’s gonna be okay, I swear,” he said before calling Brian over.
“Hey, what’s up, what’s the matter Win?” Brian asked, looking at Win concerned.
“She and Nick had at it, would you and Brianna mind watching Latecia for a few minutes?” AJ asked.
“Sure, no problem, we’ll just take her back to our room if you want,” Brian replied, still looking at Win uneasy.
“Thanks man, I owe you,” AJ replied before taking Win’s hand in his.
“Don’t worry about it, see you later,” Brian replied before walking back to Brianna, Winnie and Latecia.
“All right, lets go,” AJ said pulling her out of the room.
A few minutes later they were back in his room, standing at the window watching the snow fall past in giant flakes.
“What’s really bothering you Win?” AJ asked.
“He lied, he, he hurt Taylor, then he didn’t even take the time to see if anyone else was all right.”
“And you don’t forgive him?” AJ asked surprised, looking over at her, watching her fold her arms and look coldly out on the falling snow.
“No,” she replied stiffly.
“But you forgave me.”
“Yeah, but you’re different AJ,” Win said shaking her head and looking at the floor for a minute. She kicked the edge of the rug around for a second then looked back up.
“I don’t really see how it’s that different,” AJ replied, turning so that he could stand and look directly at her.
“It is.” Win replied, swallowing hard. AJ thought hard for a moment. The only thing that had ever gotten Win mad was when he had cheated on her, but then again he had admitted it and she’d forgiven him. He thought some more, the only other time she ever got angry was when someone else had gotten hurt and she couldn’t do anything about it.
“You’re not angry about what he did to you, are you?” AJ asked, the realization finally hitting him.
“What? Of course I am, but that’s not it,” Win said annoyed.
“Oh really? Then why do you keep bringing up me and Taylor, when you should be the one that’s the most upset?” AJ asked removing his sunglasses and raising an eyebrow at her.
“Uh oh,” she thought to herself, “he’s bringing out the eyebrow again.”
“Because, you were hurt too, I’m not the only one,” Win said looking away from him.
“You’re upset because he used you to hurt me, and then Taylor, that’s what it is. You can’t stand not being able to stop him from doing that, you hate to see anyone get hurt,” AJ replied, slightly smiling at her.
“Well I’m sorry AJ, I don’t find it amusing when one of my supposed friends uses me to hurt someone I love.” Win snapped.
“I didn’t say it was, I just find it cute that you worry more about others than yourself. I mean, I’ve done enough to you as yet you’re still worried about me, and how this whole thing will make me feel,” AJ replied cocking his head and smiling at her.
“I didn’t say that,” Win snapped looking at him, his smile making her soften.
“You didn’t have to, I know you too well,” he laughed. She smiled at him.
“All right, so you found my weak spot,” she said, slightly defeated.
“Hey, I like your weak spot, especially when it’s me,” he laughed.
“When it comes to you AJ, yeah. You know I would do anything for you,” Win replied, looking thoughtfully out the window.
“Good thing you weren’t at the VMA’s a few years ago then, if you could yell at Nick,” AJ said laughing.
“The what?” Win asked confused.
“The Video Music Awards, for MTV. Jamie Foxx made a few comments about my sobriety, offered me champagne as we walked off stage,” AJ replied.
“Oh that’s just rich!” Win said annoyed.
“See, that’s what I’m talking about. Nick’s your friend and you screamed at him for hurting me in a roundabout way, I can only imagine what you would have done to him,” AJ laughed.
“Yeah, well, call me protective, or whatever it is, I don’t like seeing the people I care about get hurt.” Win replied wrinkling her nose and shaking her head at the thought of what that guy had said about AJ. Fact was it annoyed her so much because she knew how difficult it was being sober herself, and the battles you have to fight. She shook her head at the thought. She felt AJ's hands on her hips and looked at him.
“Win, look, I’m not upset ‘bout all that happened. In fact, I could even say that I’m glad, cause it got me back with you. I mean, if that’s all I have to go through, to get you back in my life, then I’ll forever be thankful,” AJ said gently squeezing her between his hands.
Win looked up at him, at the honesty in his eyes and suddenly she felt guilty for yelling at Nick.
“I shouldn’t have yelled at him like that,” Win said frowning.
“Yes, you should have,” they both looked up and saw Nick coming through the side door from Win’s room.
“You were listening?” AJ asked.
“Yeah, sorry, I was still in Win’s room, and I kinda listened in,” Nick said walking into the room, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. Win laughed.
“It’s all right Nick, really,” Win said smiling.
“Really, you sure?” he asked, still confused.
“Yes, I’m sure. I shouldn’t have yelled at you like that, it wasn’t fair.” Win said again. Nick approached the two of them at the window and looked back and forth from AJ to Win.
“Uh, yeah man, about the whole, stealing your girlfriend thing, uh, sorry,” Nick said awkwardly, looking over at AJ. AJ laughed.
“It’s okay, sorry about the, you know,” AJ replied pretended to make a fist and wail it at him.
“Nah, you already apologized for that.” Nick laughed.
“Win, I am, so, so sorry that I did this, I should have talked to you, I should have explained things.” Nick said turning to her and taking her hands in his.
“Yes, you should have,” Win said nodding.
“And AJ, I’m sorry I couldn’t be honest about Jen, at the very least with you, instead of ripping someone you loved away from you,” Nick said looking up at him.
“Hey, I should be thanking you, in some weird way, cause I got Win back.” AJ replied smiling.
“Do you think we could ever be friends again?” Nick asked looking back at Win sheepishly.
“Of course Nick, but you also need to talk to Taylor, okay? Make sure he understands, he was your friend too,” Win replied squeezing Nick’s hands.
“So are you two okay now?” AJ asked.
“Yeah, I think so,” Win said smiling, “all right, just give me a hug so we can go back to just being friends.”
“All right,” Nick laughed as Win threw her arms around his neck and squeezed him. He squeezed her back and held her tight for a moment.
“Good, now that this is settled, do you think I could have my girlfriend back?” AJ asked with a smirk.
“Sure, thanks guys,” Nick said laughing as Win let him go and stepped towards AJ.
“You know, you two really deserve each other,” Nick said, letting his look linger on the couple.
“No I don’t,” they both said at the same time. They all laughed.
“That’s exactly why you do,” Nick smiled. He watched Win and AJ turn to look at one another, clasping their hands and watching their fingers intertwine. They came together and kissed. Nick, watched and smiled for a moment.
“I’ll just let you two alone,” he said carefully sneaking back to the door he came out of. He took one last look at the couple and whispered, “No one deserves your love more than you,” before he closed the door and walked away.