- Text Size +
I sighed as I looked into the mirror. Of all the things that were required of my job, this was the part that sucked the most.... PR or Mini Interviews. I hated them with ever fiber of my being and now Lizz was going to have to be exposed to another one again. The only good thing about this one was that the threat of Terri or Agnes was pretty much gone - or at least I hoped it was gone.

As I adjusted my Florida Seminoles sweatshirt, I couldn t help but laugh inwardly at Lizz's obsession with the Oklahoma Sooners. We always had little pretend fights as to who was the best of the best in the football league, she was scrappy about it, but I always prevailed in our playful arguements, you gotta love that. At any rate, I was grateful that my mother had Fed Ex'd some clothes to the hospital so I had something decent to wear in front of the media.

A feeble knock on the hospital door indicated that it was time to face the music as Brian always put things when you wanted to just climb into a dark hole and hide.

An older woman pushing a wheel chair into the room started to cheerily sing out, "Transport--- "

"Oh no, no way in hell am I going in that thing," I interrupted her as I pointed down at the chair.

"But this is doctor's orders," she stated in a syrupy-talking-to-a-puppy tone of voice, you know, like Blanche on The Golden Girls.

I shook my head. "Nope, not gonna do it. I'm walking down by myself, thanks but no thanks."

I will admit I felt sort of bad blowing that woman off, she was trying to do her job, but I was so sick of wheel chairs and I really wasn't a patient, at least offically I was a patient, but I was planning on leaving the hospital as soon as the conference was overwith. I had my mind made up that I was going to leave without signing myself out. No one would know the difference anyway. I would just have to hope that my nurses or my doctors weren't watching the conference. Then again, what would it matter to them anyway? I was an adult so I was basically the captian of my own fate.

As I started to walk past the woman, I hung my head because I had felt so bad about cutting her off. "I-I I hate to ask, but what room am I suppose to go to?"

"Ground level, auditorium B, you take the staff elevator and then turn left and follow the signs."

"Thanks, and I m sorry about being sort of mean, but I m just sick of wheel chairs, I want to be independent and don't worry, if you get into trouble for this, tell them to talk to me, I'll back you up, okay?" I tried to seal it with a toothy smile. She only smiled back slightly and shook her head.

I got on the staff elevator, nearly gagging at the smell of food that was trapped in it. God, it smelled awful, and they serve it to patients? No wonder there were so many sick people in the hospital! The car stopped without incident to the ground floor.

Okay, was it a left or a right? Shit, I can't believe I don't remember already. "Okay, think here Carter, it was right, turn right," I coached myself outload as I exited.

"Whoa, Nick! Dude, this way!"

I stopped about two feet into my wrong path when I heard AJ's voice bellowing in the hall.

Turning around I found AJ and Lizz standing in the hall, arms folded across their chests, Lizz had an eyebrow arched in question and I immediately assumed it was my sweatshirt.

"Like it?" I asked as I pulled the chest portion of the sweatshirt out.

"Classic," AJ smirked.

"Lizzard, are you ready for this?"

"I guess I have to be, and why are you walking around, I thought you would have to be escorted by transportation from your room?"

"That's only for patients," I replied.

"Yeah and---"

"And I was just released this morning," I lied.

We walked into the room that had been set up for the conference. It was a typical set up, long table, six seats with name cards facing out with our names on them, lights, mikes and tons of chairs for the media. I felt my anxiety start to kick in. I decided to try and think happy, peaceful thoughts.

"Nick, good to see you up and in street clothes," Brian chided as he gave me a hug.

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks."

"Okay, Nick and Lizz, you guys sit here," Kevin pointed to the two seats that were situated in the center of the long table.

"Oh just wonderful," I moaned. I did not like sitting in the center, actually no one liked sitting in the direct center except for Kevin, but Kevin always did the talking for us. He was going to be sitting opposite of Lizz, so she would be sandwiched between myself and Kevin. I reached down and took her hand and gave it a quick squeeze. "You gonna be okay with this?" I whispered in her ear. She only replied with a slight nod.

"What the hell are you guys being so damned secretive about now?" AJ demanded.

"AJ!" Kevin growled. "Let it go!"

Everyone took their seats and waited for the signal to begin the conference. As always, Kevin was designated as the spokesperson and began to read from a typed statement release that had been written for him by Liza, our publicist.

" We would like to take this time to thank the press for coming to this conference. With all that had been happening over the past few weeks, we decided that information needed to be provided to clear up any and all rumors that had been circulating."

Kevin paused, taking a breath before he continued.

"As you probably remember, Nick was victimized when his drinking water had been tampered with during our last press conference, causing him to lose his voice temporarily. In order for his safety along with our friends, Lizz, sitting to my left, the two of them went into hiding while the police tried to arrest the people involved. To briefly summarize what had happened, Lizz and Brian were injured in a fight to subdue the extortionists, and Nick was gravely injured, and we almost lost him. But, as you can see, he is alive and well, and all of them are on the road to a complete and healthy recovery."

I barely listened to Kevin's comments as he droned on and on about Agnes, Terri, Vinnie and Marcus. I shifted nervously in my chair as I felt eyes boring into me.

"So it's been decided that we will resume our tour, two weeks from today at our usual starting point, Florida, but we will kick it off in Tampa. Brian and Nick may not be able to do too much dancing until they heal up, but they will still be able to sing, so we are going to take this on a day by day basis."

I groaned inwardly as Kevin spoke the next four words: "Are there any questions?"

If I thought I could have gotten away with it, I would have kicked Kevin. Asking if people had any questions was just inviting trouble. As if my stomach wasn't clenched enough as it was. As soon as the words left his mouth, the room exploded into noise and flashes. My heart was beating wildly in my chest and I knew Nick was feeling the same thing. I knew full well that Nick hated this even though he always played it off really well. He needed to add acting skills to his list of talents.

"Whoa whoa! So what Kevin is saying is that Nick never died?"

"Nick, how were you gravely injured??"

"How has this affected the group?"

I almost laughed at the last question. If I weren't so tense, I probably would have. Honestly, people, you don't want to know. We're edgy, nervous, fearful, beaten, battered, angry, and sleep-deprived. Shall I continue? I felt a gentle squeeze on my hand and I glanced at Nick. He stared straight ahead, appearing to be nice and calm. I bit back a smile and squeezed his hand back.

"Lizz?"

My attention snapped forward. "Uh, yeah-yes?" I stammered, my voice small.

"I was just asking how you felt about going on tour with the rest of the guys." A lady asked, smiling.

Okay, that was easy.

I smiled, the nervousness easing a little. "I'm really excited. I mean, I've always wanted to travel and now, not only am I getting to do that, but I get to do it with the Backstreet Boys!" I said the last part with added emphasis, stretching my grin wider. A bunch of people chuckled and I felt myself relax. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad.

"Nick, according to Kevin, you and Lizz went into hiding together. Could you tell us a little bit about that please?"

"Well, we hated to deceive everyone by making them think I was dead, but with our lives at stake, we felt it was the best choice. At one point, they had even threatened our fans if we didn't do what they wanted. So for everyone's safety, Lizzard and I went into hiding."

Lizzard?! During a press conference?! Smooth one, Nicky.

"We both altered our appearances, as you can tell by my brown hair and I don't know if you remembered from last time, but Lizz had reddish hair. Anyway, we stayed in an apartment, cutting off all contact with anyone we knew." Nick continued.

"Wait, you and Lizz stayed in an apartment together?" The same reporter asked. Immediately, the cameras started flashing faster and I felt the color rise in my cheeks. Here we go...

"It was safer that way... " Kevin started, trying to take the pressure off of us.

"Nick, can you tell us if you and Lizz are involved romantically?" The woman persisted.

Okay, now my face was on fire. I resisted the urge to bang my head against the table in frustration. Instead, I sat there frozen, waiting for Nick s answer along with everyone else.

"We' re friends, good friends. Next question?" Nick said, closing up. I almost laughed out loud. That answer was soooo Nick-like.

" This question is directed to all of you, but namely Brian, Nick and Lizz. How do you feel knowing that Agnes has escaped prison and do you feel that she is a threat to you? How will this affect your touring?"

Thanks dude, you just had to go and bring her up again, didn't you. I had no plans on answering that question and thankfully Brian took it.

"Of course it doesn't sit very well with us that Agnes has escaped, but I am confident that the feds will capture her and bring her to justice. We are going to put everything we have towards the tour and don't plan on letting that woman get in our way. Our fans deserve the best and that is what we are going to give them." Brian said with determination.

I looked at him, my eyes a little wide. He almost sounded pissed! I felt myself nodding slowly.

"Lizz, you agree with Brian?"

I stared straight ahead. "Yes, I do. I guess what Brian said pretty much sums it up. We've been victimized by those people for long enough. Granted, the threat is still out there, but we re not going to live in fear any longer. Like Brian said, their fans deserve the best. We'll be dam-darned if they aren't going to get the best!" I said defiantly.

More camera flashed and after a few more quick questions, the press conference was over. As soon as people started to leave the room, namely the cameras, I let out a sigh of relief.

"Geez, Lizz. You just dominated that last one didn't ya?" AJ teased as the room cleared out.

I flushed. "I guess what Brian said really hit me. Those freaks have put us through hell, but I want to get on with it though. I mean, I know it's a lot easier said than done, but I'm gonna fight it. I doubt I will be able to stop the nightmares and stuff like that, but I can try to change my thinking. Like I can try not to dwell on everything so much. I mean, you guys are getting ready to start the tour and are nice enough to let me tag along. I want to do what I can to help you guys out with things. Be helpful and not be a bur-"

"Lizz, you aren't a burden." Brian corrected, quickly.

I rolled my eyes, but still smiled appreciatively at him.

"I agree, as hard as it is, we need to try to get back to normal." Kevin said, nodding.

I noticed that Nick had been pretty quiet throughout the discussion. We were hovering in the room. Nick was sitting in his chair still, face a little pale. I walked over and plopped down in the chair next to him.

"What's wrong hun?"

"I'm fine." He stated.

I sighed. Did he really think I didn t know him just a little better than this? "Talk to me."

"I'm just a little tired." He said, smiling slightly.

I shook my head. "I would have thought you would be feeling a little better since they had released you this morning."

"Do you?"

"Not really." I admitted. As of 9am this morning, I was a free agent. They had decided that the sutures had healed enough that I could be released. I was under strict instruction to be very careful and avoid anything strenuous. It still hurt to move around, but I was getting better and better at hiding it.

"Okay then." He smirked.

"Oh shuddup. It's probably that ugly ass sweatshirt. It's just bringing you down." I retorted. I knew full well he wore that Seminole sweatshirt just to get a rise out of me. "That's okay, we all know who the 2000 National Champs are."

"Sure, blood and sp-"

"Nick! Knock that off already!" Brian exclaimed, cutting Nick off from making fun of the colors.

I snickered as Nick muttered dork under his breath. Just like Nick to be a pervert.

"So, I guess its back to your room then?" Brian said to Nick.

"Nope, they ended up releasing him this morning too!" I grinned.

Kevin narrowed his eyes. "I don't think you are ready."

"Well my doctor did, evidently." Nick replied, somewhat uncomfortably.

"Have you already signed your discharge papers?" Brian asked.

"No, uh, yeah." He stammered.

I looked from Brian to Kevin. "Even that one about the cafeteria food warning?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Huh?" Nick looked at me, perplexed.

"They gave it to me. It had something to do with something that happened in the kitchen and that if you get sick from their food in the next 24-36 hours, to come right back. Something about something getting into the food that shouldn't have been in there..." I trailed off, as if I were thinking.

"Oh yeah, I got that one. Can we go now?" Nick said hastily, standing up.

I shot a pointed look to Brian and he nodded. AJ noticed and merely shook his head.

"Busted, man." He snorted.

"There wasn't any such form, Nick! You're trying to do it again! I wasn' t here before to stop you, but I'm here now and you aren't getting out AMA!" I exclaimed, poking my finger into his chest.

"AMA?" AJ asked.

"Against Medical Advice. Right Nick?" I said, folding my arms.

"Yeah, so? I'm ready to get out of here. Lizz, you know how it is when you are ready to get out, but they keep you longer anyway! You guys were all just talking about moving on. Well how can I move on when I am stuck in there?" He said, going from defensive to almost pleading.

"Yeah, I know how it is, but as much as I hated it, they kept me for good reason. Cause I still had some getting better to do!" I argued. And I hated to argue with him about this. Because I did know. I knew all too well the desperate feeling of needing to get out, but not being able to. Knowing that life was passing you right by, people were getting on with new things in their lives, but you were still stuck in that void of time.

Nick didn't reply, but only held my gaze.

"What if we can get you out today, but on a couple conditions?" I asked softly.

"What conditions?" Kevin broke in, not looking pleased.

"Like number one, you have to rest exactly as much as your doctor tells you to and for exactly how long he tells you too. No cheating at all! Number two, if he puts you on any meds, you take them. All of them! Number three, quit trying to hide stuff and sneak your way out of things. The next time you try to pull a fast one on me, I'll put you back in the hospital myself." I said, ticking the conditions off on my fingers.

"And this is all only if your doctor agrees." Kevin added, frowning. "I don't like this, but I can't force you to stay in there, short of tying your stubborn ass up."

I snickered at the mental picture, but evidently AJ took my snickering for something else because his eyes grew wide. He opened his mouth to say something, but Brian shook his head, making a face.

I stared Nick in the eyes. "Do we have a deal?"

Nick saluted. "Yes ma'am."

I playfully smacked the shoulder on his good side. " Smartass."

We all filed out of the room, security and bodyguards walking loosely on all sides. Most of the people had been cleared out, but there were a few eager stragglers. Brian pulled up next to me.

"You' re getting good at that." He grinned, motioning to Nick who was walking ahead of us with AJ.

"I learn from the best." I returned the smile, nodding to Brian.