- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the feedback so far. It definitely inspired another chapter hehe. So thankies and enjoy :).
“As Reality Crumbles”

Chapter Two: The Inevitable

Alex sat on the grassy hill, looking over most of the large city that was Las Vegas. It was next to what was the high school he briefly went to when had first came here. Three earth years it has been now. The human age he had been was sixteen, and now considered nineteen. Time was short there however, and went fast for him. Time flowed differently, faster. Three years in this Keyrina Realm where Earth, as well as its entire galaxy, existed, only a year would go by in Dimonos, his former home, in the vastly different Dakria realm. He laid back, watching the stars. It was getting dangerous. Everything was now. He knew he had worried the only ones who cared about him when had left so suddenly, but he needed the time alone. His mind traveled to how he had arrived here, what made him leave his own reality. Before the images arrived to his mind’s eye, he shook his head, mentally pushing them away. He wished not to remember.

His mind wanted to wander to happier times. When he had more than he did now. When he felt so at home back on Dimonos, despite the harsh scenery. He remembered back to when the violent mauve flames were a comfort, when to most they would be a horror. He had known nothing of dimensions outside his own, and felt comfortable in his own. The cries of pain coming from punished townspeople had always troubled him, yet he never questioned it then. Just had comforted his sister when it used to bother her far more than him.

My how things could change.

And so they did. So quickly, so sharply, it had hit him harder than a 100 foot fall. All of the changes, events have brought him here to this point. Lead him to two guardians who had taken him in without question. Who helped raised him. All was for a purpose however and it was growing close. He did not know if they knew that, but he was sure of it. He would bet his life on it.

The connection was getting close. He just didn’t wish to face it. That was why he refused to tell Kaorinite or Orlando of his dream. It brought it that much closer. Soon he wouldn’t have a choice.

Either way the connection would happen eventually. The two were part of a whole and Alex knew that, always had. He used to see it as something good. Now he wished it didn’t exist. Yet it did and when it came, he would no longer be even slightly safe. It was coming, and soon.

As he felt it come closer, sensed her beyond the fabrics of the weak boarders between realms, the memories came back with a vengeance. A force he could not control. Even though he wished fiercely not to remember consciously, the images of what brought him here burned within his mind and soul…

She stood there amongst the flames. They rose as her rage grew with each passing moment. The younger one, Nickoli was huddled against one of the boulders near the edge. She gave a sickening grin, not seeing Alexius. Her hand gently coaxed the young blond boy over. Whispering something in form of a chant, her sapphire eyes blazed with power. She spread a white powder along the ground as Nickoli came closer to her. When he touched the powder with his foot a dark mist rose from the ground, surrounding him.

“Think of it as a game Nicky…”

“NO!” He screamed, seeing what she was doing, only far too late. “Nicky don’t listen to her! Come to me!” He tried to race towards them but an invisible force shoved him back. Nickoli turned, his normally energetic azure eyes dull and graying as the mist grew stronger, beginning to stab him with a violent energy. The young sibling screamed in a pitched agony as the pain begin to burn throughout his body, poisoning even the depths of his soul.


“Hey Aje!” A voice broke through, shattering the images and the thoughts. A sigh came. Only one called him by the initials of his full name. It was his closest companion, his best friend Howie. When he first arrived there and was forced into that thing called high school, he had an awkward time adjusting. He had known nothing of this world or even this reality, and had no clue about its customs. So as a result people had seen him as odd and shunned him. Howie however had befriended the young man who at first kept to himself. Alex opened up and the two had become fast friends. He sat up quickly, letting himself finally relax as he ran a hand over his smooth brown hair.

The other teen Howie chuckled, he usually could always find AJ here, spacing out thinking about one random thing or another. His tan eyes took in his surroundings as his short slightly curly black locks got tousled in the wind. “What are you thinking now man?” He sat beside him. “Your sister said you were out so I knew I’d find you here. What is it. The meaning of life? Is there some all powerful God up there? Or something even more complicated, like girls?” He joked with a smile.

He laughed ignoring the voice in his head that whispered that by being Howie’s friend, he put the innocent in danger. Alex could protect him, and besides, she would want him, not the ones around him. “No questions tonight, just chilling, maxin’ and relaxin’. I needed to get out of the house.”

“I’m telling you, you should move in with me. Your sis and Orlando are cool and all, but it kills the freedom we should have at our age. You know I’m looking for a roommate.”

Alex shrugged as he pulled out a cigarette. He knew they were harmful to most here, but his immune system was stronger being one of Dimonos, and did no harm. Also it relaxed him after his mind tried to bring the pain back. He lit it up and took a long drag before blowing out a ring of smoke into the clear navy night sky. “Yeah I know. Meh, Kay only has me and Orlando now. I ain’t ready to leave the nest yet.” he replied of course far from able to say the real reason.

A smirk appeared on the other teen’s smooth caramel face. “You just don’t like change. Things gotta change eventually. No matter how hard ya fight it.”

He gave an inner sigh as he rubbed the small goatee he had carefully styled since he came to this reality. “Yeah, I know.”

“So why fight it instead of going with the flow?”

Alex yawned tiredly as he rubbed his arms. “Honestly dude? Cause I can. And I sorta feel I should.” He was being honest. He would fight any inevitable changes heading his way. Because he felt he had to. Because he could.

Come what may.

************

She had come back out to her spot on the ledge rather than going inside to try and meditate and focus her power as she had planned. She felt restless and wasn’t sure why. A feeling burned within her. One she hasn’t felt in a little over a year. She shook her head as her dark gold tresses fell about her face. No. It was impossible. It had to be something else. But then the images came. Her mind burned as the images rushed through her head. What came first were the memories.

“Nyxnia what are you doing!?” Her twin brother had stood there in his human look as she did what she had to do. Nickoli was in her way. Feelings about him were not important. What had been important was the plan. Now there he was, Alexius Janis, first of Kevinicus’ children. Now trying to meddle where he should not be.

“What I have to Alexius!”

“You can stop this! Don’t do this!” He had cried, his dark brown eyes clashing against her sharp piercing blue orbs.

She laughed mockingly, shifting into her true form. The one she had been born with, as all those of the royal line were. Yet the Richardson line of Dimonos had the ability to look human so they could blend with townspeople when necessary. Her raven feathered eagle wings shot out of her back sharply, as her delicate hands had red razor claws morph from her hands. Deadly horns grew from her head as she yelled in rage. “I will do as I please! I control my destiny now! Does my own twin fight against me!?”

She could see the pain in her brother’s face, pain at what she was choosing for herself. Guilt welled up within but was quickly extinguished. Nickoli was still in her circle, trapped within the fiery darkness she had created for him. No one could stop her now. She was Nyxnia Jadis of the Richardson line. She would be powerful. She would have the control she desired.

“I won’t let you do this!” A storm raged around them on that ledge the twins used to sit and talk on when times were better. The rain poured upon them heavily, yet the violet dangerous flames of their world could not be extinguished. They stood there drenched as the lightening blazed about them fiercely, booming in the distance. It grew closer every time it struck and gave off a glow upon Nyxnia that was hauntingly beautiful.

“You don’t have a choice nor a say. Do you wish to try and stop me!”

“I will if I have to!”

“Then your fate will match Nickoli’s.”


Alexius was on his bed now, heaving headed in after hanging out with Howie for a bit. The memory blazed through his head as it had Nyxnia’s. He could sense her, and blocked himself from her. However, it would not last long. When he had stood against her she had said his fate would match their brother’s. And so it had…

Images flashed through his mind as he felt her presence more and more strongly. It was happening. Far sooner than he had expected. Yet he was not surprised. He knew his twin sister and that she did not go to things by plan. They were as one once. For both twins, they felt the other and became as one once more. Mental pictures stored within the other’s minds flashed through their heads in a chaotic simultaneous motion that startled them both.

The ledge where it had all gone down. Mauve fires blazing as always.

There stood Nyxnia against the wind, watching the town.

Parisian watching Nyxnia unbeknownst to her.

Alexius going by the name Alexander James in a new reality. Two guardians who cared for him.

A companion who seemed to care for Alex.

The blue skies, the freedom for insignificant townspeople.

Alex laying on the soft grass, watching that world’s peaceful gentle sky and the twinkling stars above that dazzled like diamonds in velvet night.

A lack of magical properties in that world.

Cries of pain from innocents at the mercy of an enraged princess.


Rapidly they came to their minds, each comprehending what this meant. The female twin growled with rage. This could not be possible!

“NO!” She screamed. “This cannot be! I saw it happen!”

Now the rest of the memory came…and it fueled her violent frustration. Only instead of getting it from her perspective she was thrown off by getting it from his. It only served to infuriate her more.

“Then your fate will match Nickoli’s.”

“What shall be shall be.” He dove for the instrument that controlled the spell cast on the innocent vulnerable Nickoli. His mind bellowed against him, claiming his twin still had good in her, despite all evidence against that. She was no longer the sister he knew. So now he would save his brother, or die trying. She leapt for him, claws extended as she dug them fiercely into his chest. He fought her off, morphing as well but yet not in time. He felt the pain invade his being. She clawed at him, digging out pieces of the darkening flesh. What was this? A small knife had been imbedded into his side as she used her claws to keep his attention. He pulled it out of his bleeding gut, ignoring the agony it caused. It was blackened and dripped a foreign fluid. Poison or magicks of some kind. That was what drained his strength. Otherwise he could heal from the raw wounds that ailed him. Alex fought to get her off, hoping to not die in vain and at least save their brother.

He had gotten a good swipe against her exposed arm and she yowled with rage. She dug deeper than before, and his insides became exposed. She picked him up as the magick did it’s job, draining his strength. He could deny it no longer as she threw him over his once favorite ledge to sit on. He tumbled down towards the raging fire.

At least it would be quick. He had no hope as his vision began to grow black.

His vision faded. The truth was certain. He was going to die.


Finally the rush of images ceased and she knew one solitary truth. One year ago, she had failed to do what Alexius had forced her to do. She hadn’t planned to harm him so long as he stayed out of her way. He had not so she did what she needed to. Only now she knew it had not worked, not fully.

Alexius Janis Richardson was still alive.

She, Nyxnia Jadis Richardson had failed.

Her jaw clenched tightly in determination.

That would not be true for much longer.

No one can put off the inevitable for long.