- Text Size +

“Hey there man!” Brian tried smiling without showing the fear that he was feeling. “Uh…” he wasn’t quite sure how to start a conversation, so the room was silent for a while as Kevin shifted in his hospital bed.

“I hate hospitals.” Kevin groaned as he looked out the window.

“Yeah we know…but we couldn’t just take you home.” Nick said as he slowly approached Kevin .

“You guys are so dramatic. I’m going to be fine.” He chuckled as a nurse came in.

“Hello there” she greeted the trio, “Mr. Richardson. Your not allowed to get up we will have to put in a catheter for you to use the restroom. Also you will begin to feel lots of pain pretty soon and you’ll have to let me know so we can give you Morphine.” she smiled and was out the door, leaving complete silence.

“I hate nurses!” He looked at the two blonde men, that stood in front of him. He remembered many days that he had spent with them, when they were sick. Especially Nick, he always caught colds on tour. “The time is here isn’t it?” he asked his eyes swelling up.

“Yeah man…” Brian whispered as he took a hold of his older cousin in his arms. “I’m sorry…but we are here all the way.” He said as he held on tight to Kevin, Nick joined in the embrace as he wiped the tears flowing down his cheeks.

“Just like that…you can’t let them…do that!” Nadine sobbed as AJ and Howie tried comforting her, “I don’t want him to go. I…” she breathed as she felt the walls closing in on her.

As she looked up, she noticed Brian wiping his eyes and nodding to AJ and Howie that it was there turn to visit Kevin. She was to embarrassed to ask so she sat there, her face buried in her hands.

After what seemed forever, AJ and Howie came out looking almost gloomier than Brian and Nick. “It’s your turn sweetheart” AJ said as he gave her a hand to stand up.

She shook her head. “I can’t do it. I don’t want to.” she sat back down as the guys tried comforting her. “What if he dies while I’m there…I don’t want to…” she began to shake.

“Remember that you always told him you would be there till the end. You were his friend and if we aren‘t mistaken…you love him. He is stubborn, but he needs you now!” Brian held her hands in his “Don’t leave him alone like she did.” he almost pleaded.

She looked at all the reassuring faces around her and stood up. “Right, I can do this.” Nadine swallowed the knot in her throat as she walked towards the door. She placed her hands on the knob, and taking a big sigh turned the knob. The moment she entered; the beeping of the machine made her shiver.

He hadn’t even noticed that she was standing in the doorway. She stared at him, his face had lost all color, he had all types of tubes connected to him and he was curled up almost in a ball on the bed.

“HI” she murmured.

“Hey!” Kevin answered not even glancing over at her, he continued to look out the window. “Well you just going to stand there?” He blurted, reminding her of the first day they had met.

“No” She responded as she walked closer, the beeping seemed to get louder. He turned his gaze towards her, his eyes were sadder than she had ever seen them. “I’m not sure what to say…” she muttered.

She now stood in front of him, his hand slowly stretched out to find hers. “I know your scared. Shit so am I.” He smiled. “Damn, I’m sorry for being such a dick to you.” He began to laugh mordantly “I guess this is what all people do when they are dying…laugh at nothing.”

Not a smile escaped Nadine at his joke. “Don’t leave me!” Her lip quivered as she begged him. Kevin pulled her in to a hug. He held her tight as she climbed into the bed with him, she laid next to him her head resting on his chest. “Does it hurt?”

“No” he answered, figuring the more he denied it, the less they would suffer to see him go. Truth was he felt lots of pain, but he was to stubborn to call a nurse and request medication. All he wanted was to walk out and go home. If he was going to die, he wanted to die at home.

“I want to go home?” he asked more than stated.

She looked up at him as she caressed his face, “Ok…I will see what I can do.” She carefully kissed his cheek as she gave him another hug. “There is something that I need to tell you.” She began, but was interrupted by the nurse.

Following all their pleads the doctor finally gave in to Kevin’s request to go home. He was unsure of the man making it all the way home, but he gave in at the gloomy faces. The guys entered the room as the nurse helped Kevin dress.

“Hey who are you guys?” Brian, Nick, Howie and AJ all looked at each other puzzled.

“I’m sorry, its all the medication and he’s losing consciousness for whiles. It will happen a lot more…” She patted Kevin on the shoulder, “Your friends are here to see you again, Mr. Richardson.” The nurse gave the guys a sympathetic look and walked out of the room.

The drive home was never ending for Kevin, the pain was making him drowsy and sick to his stomach. He held on tight to Nadine’s hand as she set right next to him. “We are almost there” she reassured him with a weak smile. Her fingers raking his hair.

They started their way to his room “Thanks…being…here…me guys.” They could barely make out his words. Kevin laid on the bed, as Brian fixed his pillows and Nadine covered him up with a blanket before laying beside him.

“I will be right back you guys.” Brian exited to meet the others.

“Are you comfortable?” Nadine asked as she wrapped her arm over his chest. “I want you to be comfortable.” She could hear his irregular breathing getting heavier and shorter as the minutes passed.

“You said…” he paused after every word “There…was…” his body tensed against Nadine’s, she sat up abruptly.

“Are you ok Kevin?” But he didn’t answer. She didn’t want to cry, but she was feeling panic now. “Say something…please Kevin”

“I’m ok…”

She sighed with relief as she nestled against his body again. “I’m scared Kevin. I’ve never felt fear like this in my life” he cut her off by raising her face to his, he stared into her eyes.

He groaned.

"Please don't leave me."