- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's the ending. Let me know what ya think!

Nadine held Kevin’s face in her hands as their lips were locked. They broke from the kiss and she smiled, although he was weak he smiled back. “Although…I acted…like such…an ass…you changed…what I…had left…of my life! I…really love…you.” Kevin confessed.

Her smile widened and just as she opened her mouth the guys walked into the room startling the couple.

“So we thought we would sing…all together like old times remember?” Nick said with a childish grin on his face. Kevin gave Nadine a look as she laid her head back on his chest.

“Yeah sure…what do…you guys…want to…sing?” He asked taking a breath after every other word.

The guys smiled and Howie spoke up. “How about we sing Safest Place to Hide?”

Kevin happily nodded his head, “Sure Howie…that sounds…like a great…one.” His body stiffened as he felt the pain intensify, the morphine had worn out.

“I just…want you…guys to…know that…I appreciate…all of…your help…I’m sorry…that I ruined…the show…tonight…I…”

They all shook their heads and Brian spoke with a low voice, “We sang a song to our fans, they will never forget that cuz!” They smiled at each other. “All right…we will start off on your queue.” Brian informed as the others began to snap their fingers in rhythm.

Nadine looked at him again. “I love you too!” She whispered into his ear. He didn’t answer, but she knew he’d heard her when he tightened his embrace.

The boys began to sing in unison “Can you see me, here I am. Standing here where I've always been, and when words are not enough, I climb inside your heart I still find, You're my safest place to hide…My safest place to hide” they smiled as they waited for Kevin’s part.

He looked at them with concern. “I…can’t remember…the words.”

“It’s ok. I will help you remember.” Nadine piped and started to sing as best she could. “I know I promised you forever…There's no stronger word I can use.”

She stopped to look up at him and wait to see if he remembered.

After a long pause he spoke up, “To reassure when the storm, is raging outside” He squeezed Nadine tight as he felt the life being sucked from him. “You're…my safest place…to…hide” as he said the last word his grip loosened from her body and his head slowly fell to the side.

Silence filled the room. Nadine’s eyes widened in horror and her chest heaved with each breath when she looked at the expressions on each one of the guys faces.

She knew it.

“No…please…” slowly she turned to look at Kevin. His eyes were closed and his head was turned away from her. “No…no…you can’t leave me…” She hovered over him, her teardrops falling onto his shirt. “You can’t leave me!” she slapped his face lightly. She buried her face in his chest as she sobbed uncontrollably.

The guys tried to comfort her. “It’s ok Nadine…” Brian patted her back. “It’s going to be ok.” He hugged her, wiping away his own tears. Nick stayed in the far corner away from everyone else, crying silently. Howie was trying to stay strong for everyone else, but slowly he could feel the tears filling his eyes. AJ placed his sunglasses back on and leaned against the wall feeling the world falling around him.

~~~~~

The funeral was a blur to Nadine, she hadn’t paid attention to a word the priest had said, all she imagined was jumping in the hole with him. Just a couple of days back she had been fighting with him and now he was gone. As she stood watching the groundkeeper pour the dirt into the hole, all the memories flooded her mind.

Memories that made her laugh and others that made her heart feel like bursting.

“Are you ready to go?” AJ asked in a soft voice as he placed his hand on her shoulder, she shook her head without a word. They began to walk away, and she turned once more “Thank you for making him happy. Even if you guys didn’t really say it out loud…we all knew that you loved each other. He kept it to himself to till the end…because…Kevin was stubborn and he knew that it would have been much more harder for you to accept his...”

She looked interrupting him before he said the word. Her face was pale and redness covered her eyes, she smiled weakly. “I always hoped he did. I got the feeling he did.” he hugged her and they hopped into the limo.

~~~~~

A week later Nadine held a chart in her hand, she took a deep breath as she fixed her badge. “Hello there…” she stood looking into a pair of green eyes.

“I don’t need your help you know. I’m fine…I’m going to die anyways…you wont change anything that's left of my life” the young boy exclaimed as she gave him a smile.

“I’ve heard that before, but you never know!” she smiled.