- Text Size +

The next day she woke to the feeling of pounding on her temples. Forcefully she opened her eyes and found herself resting her head on KEvin's chest. His arms wrapped around her waist in a tight grip. It felt so nice to have body contact with someone. Only god knew how long it had been since she was held by a man. She managed to break free from his hold and sat up on the bed.

Once again she found herself gazing at him sound asleep and wondering how it would feel to kiss his lips. Nadine looked around the room and drew close; she was there ready to kiss him when suddenly he opened his eyes.

“Why are you staring at me?” He smiled.

She screeched with horror as she fell back and off the bed.

“Oh crap!” Scott squirmed with laughter.

“That’s not funny…you almost gave me a heart attack. And I wasn’t staring at you” She stood up and crossed her arms with a pout.

The shirt didn’t cover much and was exposing her bare thighs. He tried to focus on her face, however his eyes kept shifting back to her thighs as he continued to laugh uncontrollably. “You should have seen your feet flying…up…” 

“Well I’m glad that my clumsiness entertains you.” Now they both laughed. She was happy to see him smile.

After her more than embarrassing display earlier that morning, she met up with the rest of the guys at the pier. Scott was nowhere in sight.

“Hey I was looking for you this morning…” AJ whispered into her ear.

“Oh…I was with Kevin…” she blurted a little louder than she would of wanted to.

“So, I wonder what this is all about anyway. It’s 10 in the morning and I am half asleep." Nick whined.

"I‘m good as long as it has nothing to do with this boat.” AJ asked forgetting his conversation with Nadine.

“Guys just stop nagging your making me nervous” Howie bit his nails.

“Ya’ll know that if Kevin wants us here so early he has his reasons…let’s just be patient.” Brian took a seat on the side of the pier his feet dangling over the ocean, the others mimicked him.

A couple of minutes later Kevin stepped out of the boat that floated in front of them. “What in the hell…you were in there the whole time.?” AJ asked trying to recall if he had said anything incriminating.

“Well let’s get on the boat and I will tell you what I have to tell you.”

Howie stepped on first “Kevin…your really worrying me” He was followed by Brian and then Nick.

AJ and Nadine looked at each other concerned, “Well ladies first…” AJ mockingly bowed.

“Uh…well I don’t know…I’m not to fond of boats…” Nadine stepped back, they all laughed.

“Neither am I…hey I’m staying on the ground…you can tell me that something important down here.” Nadine agreed with a nod, but gave in with Kevin's stern look. They both climbed into the boat and took a seat right away.

Brian seemed worried, “what’s going on cuz…is everything alright?”

Kevin took a deep breath and stood up. “I’ve decided not to go back to the hospice.”

Everyone’s mouth dropped in awe, “But…you need their help, you can’t just be out here with no medication or someone to look over you.” Brian exclaimed standing next to him.

“Have you lost your brain cells too?” AJ commented, “No offense but I’ve heard that after a lot of X-rays things start to die.”

Howie rolled his eyes “AJ please say that sentence in your head again and notice it makes no sense.” AJ paused as if he was really doing what Howie asked him, Nadine felt a tickle of laughter in her throat but swallowed it, it wasn’t the time for laughing.

“Uh…Kevin…” She stood up in frustration, “Staying here and ignoring what is going on will not change your situation and you not returning to the hospice is insane…” She noticed that Kevin was glaring at her and his jaw was clenched in anger.

“Nothing or no one can change my situation, but it’s my fucking choice what I want to do with what little time I have to live.”

Nadine smirked. “You know, you seemed so strong and fearless when I used to see you on TV. Yet, now that I know you, you’re the biggest coward I’ve ever met. Is this your idea of hiding away? Avoiding what you have?” Everyone stared at him in silence, waiting for him to lash out.

“So what if it is."

"It's not your smartest move. I don't agree with you on this."

"Well I don’t care if you agree or not. I really don't need your consent to do anything…the choice is between me and my family. You are nobody here…and quiet frankly I don’t give a damn about your opinion. If you don’t like my decision you can always go back home.”

Nadine looked up at him in awe. The pain apparent in her eyes. “Fine. You're right who the hell am I to worry about you. I should go pack my things." She turned around hopped out of the boat and began her way back to the house.

“What the hell are you doing, you grouch…” AJ blurted as Howie whacked him in the stomach.

“Kevin…aren’t you being a little unreasonable. We are all worried about your decision. Right guys?” Howie spoke up.

They all looked at each other “It’s really dangerous cuz…I don’t know. As for Nadine, you shouldn’t be so rough on her, your illness affects her to you know. She's really made a difference since she came into your life and she doesn't deserve to be treated like that. Now I suggest that you run after her and apologize…I know uncle Jerald didn’t teach you to treat girls like that.” Kevin paused for a second and looked back at Nadine who was storming towards the house.

He sighed heavily and walked as fast as his pain would let him. “Nadine…” He shouted, but she didn't turn back. “Would you stop! I’m sorry ok!”

She entered the house and he finally caught up with her, just as she spun around to face him. “Your so fucking selfish. Just because you’re the one that’s sick…you think you’re the…“ she choked on her words. “only one affected…well you’re wrong.”

“I didn’t know that you cared so much…I…” He took a few steps closer and was now face to face with her. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said those things..."

A knock at the door startled the twosome, but Kevin didn’t move. The knock was persistent enough to make Nadine walk away from Kevin to open the door. He walked behind her watching as she wiped the tears from her eyes and swung the door open.

“Hi. Is Kevin here?” The blonde woman was tall and had a broad smile on her face. Nadine turned to look at Kevin, who seemed shocked at who he saw.

“Yes, he‘s here. Come in. You must be his wife?” Nadine tried to smile as they all looked at each other.