- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This story just popped into my head one night... much thanks to the inspiration of Anastacia's writing.
"I have one of two destinies. Experience one bad relationship after another... or become a hermit. Because there's no way I'll ever find 'the one' like all the women do in romance movies," Stephanie growled under her breath, collapsing stomach down onto her plush couch. She kicked off her high heels and buried her face deep into the soft fabric as an attempt to calm her emotions.

Her date with Chris had turned out to be anything but normal as it ended with her storming out of the restaurant in tears and him doused with Asti champaign. It also resulted in her becoming single once again. Soon, a melodic chirp invaded her thoughts and she grabbed her Razr cell phone off the coffee table. Slightly turning her head to speak, she flipped it open.

"Hello?"

"Hey, darlin'."

"Oh, Kevy... am I glad you called," Stephanie smiled softly. His deep baritone voice laced with a soft southern accent always brought chills down her spine and warm her soul at the same time. They had been friends for years and she was thankful to have him.

"Bad date with Chris?"

"More than just bad..." She trailed off, sighing heavily as tears pooled in her blue-gray eyes.

"Do you want me to come over?"

"Yes, but... Kevin, it's late and I--"

"Give me ten minutes."

"Kevin--"

"See you soon."

"I hate when he does that," She sighed as he hung up. She let the phone gently drop on the floor and buried her face back into the couch. A gentle touch through her blonde locks made her jump up with a gasp.

"Sorry. You didn't answer when I knocked, so I used my key," Kevin gave an apologetic smile as he perched on the heavy oak coffee table.

"No, it's okay. I must have fallen asleep," Stephanie murmured, attempting to fix her hair and cocktail dress before sitting up completely. I look like shit.

"Do you want to talk about what happened?" He offered her a small bottle of peppermint schnapps, her favorite to drink when she had a bad day.

"Not really," She took the bottle and nearly ripped the top off, quickly swallowing a large amount of the liquid. It tingled the back of her throat, warming her up almost immediately.

"Okay, let's not get drunk tonight. Do you remember the hangover you had last time?" Kevin took the bottle from her, placing it between his legs.

"That's because I had Long Islands--"

"Why don't you talk about your date with Chris instead?"

"Kevin..."

"C'mon, you'll feel better."

"I would feel better if I had the schnapps."

"After we talk."

"But--" The objections left her throat as she looked into his emerald eyes. They got her every time. "Alright... it was just... bad."

"What happened?"

"He decided I wasn't at the same point in my life that he was in his. He's graduating college with honors and a job all set for him at a marketing firm and... I'm stuck working at Cabela's, taking orders from hunters and people who think they're hunters. I only went to college for half a semester and I haven't been back since," Stephanie took a deep breath, fighting the tears that were collecting in her darkening eyes. "Basically, he broke up with me because I'm a pathetic loser with life that amounts to nothing."

"That bastard," Kevin seethed, reaching over to envelop her in a warm embrace. "You are not a loser. You're not pathetic, either. So you took a different path in life. Big deal. Not everyone is meant to go to college right after high school. I never went to college and I was able to build and run my own music school for kids. A degree or diploma says nothing of your life's accomplishments. Only you and your actions do."

"I know, I just... I thought he loved me. All this time, he thought I was an idiot," Stephanie whispered into his shoulder, sniffling softly as more tears fell down her cheeks and soaked into his t-shirt.

"The only idiot is him. He let you go. You're an amazing... talented... smart... beautiful... absolutely perfect... woman," He rubbed her back in a soothing circular motion and soon her sobs calmed down.

"You... you really think I'm all of that?" She whispered, pulling away to look into his eyes once more.

"All that and more," He promised, wiping away the stray tears as he cupped her smooth cheek.

"Kevin, I... I..."

"You what?"

"I ruined your shirt," Stephanie broke eye contact and looked down at his t-shirt streaked with tears and eye makeup.

"I can buy another one at Target," He shrugged it off, ducking down his head so he could look into her eyes.

"Kevin..."

"Hmm?"

"Wh-what are we doing?"

"I think we're about to kiss," Kevin whispered, framing her face with his large hands. Their lips were inches apart and he took the initiative to unite them, a spark flowing through their bodies at the touch. Stephanie wrapped her arms around him, deepening the kiss as his tongue grazed her teeth, almost demanding an entrance, as she eagerly obliged. Their tongues danced together in a slow, passionate pace. A moan escaped from the back of her throat and she pulled him towards the couch. He took the hint and immediately covered his body with hers, never breaking the kiss.

"Kevin..." Stephanie was finally able to find her voice as his hands gently caressed her smooth curves that were still covered by the slinky dress. He stopped and looked down into her eyes with question.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, but... is this something you're going to regret? It changes everything--"

"You're right, it does. But I want it to change."

"You do?"

"Stephanie, we’ve been friends for a long time and... I've fallen in love with you."

"I know and I don't want it to--" She stopped and looked at him, almost in disbelief. "You’re what?”"

"In love. With you."

"Me?"

"What's so surprising about that?" He chuckled, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her pierced ear. "Like I said. You're beautiful, funny, smart... amazing. The woman that I wished for every night, but I was too blind to realize you were in front of me all along."

"Oh, Kevin..." She whispered, sniffling softly.

"Hey, don't cry. This is supposed to be a happy moment," He smiled as he cupped her soft cheek.

"I am happy. That's why I'm crying," She disagreed, leaning up to kiss him again. He smiled against her soft lips and trailed his hand up her leg until it disappeared inside her dress. "Oh, Kevin..."

"Can I make love to you?" He whispered, now nibbling on the sweet crook of her neck as his fingers traced over her firm stomach.

"P...Please," She nodded, tangling her fingers into the hem of his t-shirt and pulling it up slowly and over his head to reveal the rippled body she loved to admire whenever she could.

"Steph," He moaned as she began to nip and lick his heated flesh, shivering as her fingernails gently trailed up and down the curve of his spine.

Soon there was a pile of clothes behind the couch, as their bare bodies seemed to melt into one. He positioned himself at the tip of her warm entrance, his arms slightly braced for stability.

"I love you," Kevin breathed, leaning down for a loving kiss as he slowly pushed throbbing erection into her at the same time. Heat immediately enveloped him and he bit hard on his bottom lip.

"Kevin... Oh God, I love you. I need you," Stephanie whimpered, arching her back to get more of him inside. It was the first time she ever felt complete and she didn't want to miss a single shred of pleasure.

"I know," He promised as her hips met with his thrusts that were increasing in speed and depth. The moans spoke more than words ever could, as well as the ecstasy flowing through their veins. He brought her body closer to his, if possible, as his speed quickened to almost a feverish pace.

"Oh God... Kevin!"

"Stephie... With me..."

Soon the living room was filled with cries of love and overwhelming pleasure when a storm rolled in, thunder rumbling softly as the couple sunk deep into the couch. Exhaustion was taking over and Kevin grabbed a large blanket from the floor to cover their sweaty bodies.

"That was fantastic. I couldn't have imagined anything better," Stephanie smiled as she curled against Kevin's side, resting her head on his chest. A feeling of pure happiness washed over her as she listened to her lover's heartbeat. He's finally mine. Thank you, God.

"It was perfect," Kevin agreed, wrapping his arms around her as they snuggled. It was something he had dreamed about for so long, and it finally came true. He began to run his fingers through her soft hair, humming softly as his voice and the rain lulled the beauty next to him in a deep, peaceful slumber. "Just like you."