- Text Size +
2010

I woke up in a hotel room somewhere in New York. Today is Christmas Eve. I smiled slightly at the thought. In a few short hours I’ll be home with my wife, Kerri, and 4-year-old daughter, Amy. Just the thought of my little girl’s excited laughter ringing through the house made my smile larger. And it was that thought that got me out of bed.

With the knowledge that I’d be seeing my two girls very soon, I entered the bathroom. After relieving myself, I jumped in the shower. The more I thought about home, the more excited I became.

Once I finished my shower, I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around my waist. I walked through my suite whistling a Christmas Carol. I quickly dressed then packed up my remaining stuff that was still scattered around my hotel room. I walked to the night stand where my cell phone was charging. I disconnected my phone from the charger and turned it on. Then I grabbed my charger and quickly packed it.

I grabbed my jacket and quickly placed my cell phone in my pocket. As I was grabbing my bag, I glanced out the window. I frowned momentarily at the gray, dreary sky. Nothing can ruin my day today. I was going home to my family and leaving this cold, and possibly snowy weather behind me. As I was walking out of the hotel, I called my family.

~*~
Third Person P.O.V.

“Mommy, Mommy.”

Kerri opened her eyes to her daughter standing by the bed. “Good Morning honey.”

“Mor’in Mommy. Today is Chwistmas Eve.”

“That’s right sweetie. Do you know who’s coming home today?”

“DADDY.”

“That’s right honey. Daddy’s coming home. He’ll be here in just a few hours.”

“Mommy come.”

“Where are you taking me?”

“We got to make cookies for Daddy.” Amy said as if that was the most obvious thing in the world.

Kerri got out of bed and grabbed her bath robe. She smiled as she watched her daughter bounce out the door and up to the gated stairway. Kerri grabbed Amy’s hand and they made their way down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Kerri had just finished getting the ingredients out for the cookies when the phone rang. Kerri went to answer the phone while Amy sat at the kitchen table swinging her legs back and forth.

“Hello?”

“Hey baby.”

“Nicky.” She squealed happily. Nick laughed. “What?”

“No, hi Nick, how are you, just Nicky. That’s some greeting.”

“Sorry.”

“That’s ok.”

“Hey. Where are you? Is that better?”

“Much. I’m heading to the airport now. I can’t wait until I get home.”

“Well we can’t wait for you to get home.”

“Where’s Amy?”

“She’s sitting right here swinging her legs back and forth. Do you want to talk to her?”

“Sure.”

Kerri took the phone away from her ear and turned to Amy. “Honey, do you want to talk to Daddy?”

“DADDY.” Amy squealed. She pushed herself off the chair and was at her mother’s legs in seconds. Kerri handed her the phone. “Hi Daddy.”

“Hey princess.” Nick’s smile grew at the sound of her little voice.

“Guess what Daddy?”

“What?”

“Today’s Chwistmas Eve. And you’re coming home today.”

“Yes I am.”

“When will you be here? I miss you.”

“I miss you too and I’ll be home in a couple hours. Can you put you mom back on.”

“Yep. I wuve you Daddy.”

“I love you too princess.” Amy handed the phone back to Kerri.

“Hello?”

“Hey, I’m just arriving at the airport, so I gotta get going. I’ll see you in a couple hours. I love you.”

“I love you too Nicky.” They hung up at the same time.

~*~
Nick’s P.O.V.

I hung up the phone and stepped out of the car. I looked up when a snowflake fell on my nose. Well, it’s only flurrying, that’s nothing to worry about. I walked around to the back of the car. I grabbed my suitcase and walked into the airport.

I was standing on line waiting to pick up my ticket. I glanced out the window and noticed that it was snowing slightly heavier then when I entered the airport.

I got my ticket and walked to wait on another line at baggage claim. As I was getting closer to checking my luggage an announcement came over the airport. “Due to adverse weather conditions, the following flights have been cancelled: Flight 378 from New York to Chicago, Flight 784 from New York to Memphis, Flight 554 from New York to Orlando…” The list went on but I didn’t hear any of them. My flight was cancelled. I looked out the window again to see a wall of white. The wind was howling and the snow was really coming down. I picked up my suitcase and sat on one of those uncomfortable airport chairs.

I felt tears burning the back of my eyes. I was so certain that nothing would keep me from getting home. I grabbed my cell phone and called home.

“Hello?”

“Hey.” I said quietly and sullenly.

“Hey, why are you calling back? I thought you were supposed to be waiting for your flight.”

“My flight was cancelled.”

“What?”

“It’s snowing here. All flights have been grounded. I don’t know if I’ll be able to make it home.”