- Text Size +
Nick’s P.O.V.

I was starring at the floor when I saw two people approach me. I looked up.

“Hi, I’m Holly.”

“I’m Chris.”

“Hi.”

“We couldn’t help but notice your melancholy demeanor.”

“I’m stuck in an airport for Christmas while my wife and daughter are home. I won’t be able to be home for Christmas.”

“Where’s home?”

“Orlando Florida.”

Chris and Holly turned to each other and quietly discussed something amongst themselves. Holly turned back to me. “What’s your name?”

“Nick.”

“Ok Nick, what would you say if I told you that we could get you home.”

“I’d probably ask you what you’ve been smoking. It’s a blizzard out there.”

“Well then you should probably ask what we’ve been smoking because we are going to get you home for Christmas.”

“How?”

“Just come with us.” Although it was completely insane, I picked up my suitcase and followed them out of the airport. I shivered with each step I took. I wasn’t dressed for New York in winter. However, I stayed quiet and just kept following.

It seemed that the snow was letting up but it was still coming down heavy. Through the snow, I saw that they were leading me to a car. Chris opened the trunk. “Give me your bag Nick.” I hesitated. I was a little leery about their intentions. “Nick, do you want to get home?”

“Of course.”

“Then give me your bag and get in the car.”

“Is it safe to drive in this weather?”

“The snow is starting to let up. Once we get passed this storm, we’ll have a smooth ride.”

“Don’t be fooled Nick, the driving conditions are rough right now so it will take us awhile to get out of this storm.”

I walked up to the car and placed my bag in the trunk then I climbed into the backseat. Chris was in the driver’s seat so that leaves Holly in the passenger seat. Chris started the car and put it in gear, and slowly started making his way out of the airport parking lot.

As soon as he got out of the parking lot, traffic was moving even slower due to the messy condition.

We left the airport around mid afternoon, and we didn’t get out of the storm until late that night. I may be on my way home, but I don’t think I’ll make it. We are still closer to New York, than to Florida.

It was with that thought that I fell asleep.

“Mommy, Daddy. Wake up. It’s Chwistmas.”

I opened my eyes and saw Amy. She climbed on the bed and placed herself in between myself and Kerri. I looked at Kerri over Amy’s head. She gave me a knowing nod and that was my cue. I started tickling Amy. Her giggles filled the room.

When the tickling and giggling subsided, Amy climbed off the bed and grabbed Kerri’s hand. Kerri then grabbed my hand and we walked downstairs to see what Santa left under the tree.

We watched as Amy opened her presents. Christmas wrapping paper littered the room. With each gift she received, she squealed louder.

Once all her presents were open, she stood up and ran over to me and Kerri. “Merry Chwistmas Mommy. Merry Chwistmas Daddy.”

“Merry Christmas sweetie.”

I woke up and glanced out the window. I was shocked to see sunshine and palm trees. The last thing I remember before I fell asleep was snow covered pine trees and other deciduous trees that were covered in snow. I looked up and Holly looked back. “Merry Christmas Nick.”

“Merry Christmas. Where are we?”

“We just entered Florida. We should be arriving at your house in about two hours.”

I looked at the clock on the radio. It was 1:30. I slept the whole morning away. “How did we get this far in just a few hours?”

“We didn’t stop, we drove straight through all night.”

“We promised you that you’d be home for Christmas, we weren’t lying.”

We had a light conversation for the rest of the drive to my house. Soon it was two hours later, and we were pulling into my driveway.

I looked out the window and saw Kerri sitting on the porch with Amy. Kerri sent Amy back into the house when the strange car pulled into the driveway. She eyed the car suspiciously. I got out of the backseat. As soon as Kerri saw me, she ran from her spot on the porch and into my arms. Chris got my bag for me. “Oh Nicky. You made it.”

“Yeah. I’m home.”

“Merry Christmas Nicky.”

“Merry Christmas.”

I felt someone tugging on the leg of my pants, so I looked down. I scooped my little girl into my arms. “Merry Chwistmas Daddy.”

“Merry Christmas princess.”

“See Mommy, I told you Daddy would be home for Chwistmas.”

I put Amy down and went to thank Holly and Chris for helping me get home. But they were already gone. Neither Kerri nor I heard the car start or leave. In the spot the car was, lied a piece of paper. I walked over and grabbed the paper.

Sometimes, all you need is an angel watching over your shoulder. Merry Christmas!

I smiled at the note. I folded it and placed it in my pocket. I picked up Amy again, and put my free arm around Kerri. We walked into the house.

~*~
Third Person P.O.V.

Chris and Holly watched as the reunited family walked into the house to enjoy the remainder of their Christmas. They smiled and happily resumed their responsibility of being the guardian angels assigned to watch over this family.