- Text Size +
~ Epilogue ~


We had no idea what this trip would hold in store for us. We had only hoped it would turn out okay. We got lost along the way, took some rights instead of lefts. Refused to ask for help even when offered. Sometimes choosing the long and bumpy roads instead of the nicely paved ones. We never thought we would get here but we did...

"Kevin" I turn to my cousin.

"Yes, Brian" He just looks at me with that affable smile that he owns and I embrace him.

"I love you cousin"

"Yeah I love you too" AJ walks over.

"Aw, they are having a moment. Someone take a picture" We both grab him into the embrace. He pretends to struggle. We hold him in place.

Maps sometimes are helpful, if you know how to read them. I never bothered learning those things. I was more of a reach by feel kind of guy. That drives some people crazy but luckily we are all the same when it comes to stuff like that...

"I'm gonna go talk to him for a minute, I'll be right back" I tell Brian and AJ as I make my way over to Nicholas. He is sitting next to Howie still admiring the view.

I've never really been a big fan of getting lost either. I like to know where I am going and get there. Obviously that sometimes spells trouble. The other boys on this journey are better in the patience department...

"Hey junior. What are ya thinking about?" I ask Nick as I take a seat next to him, legs dangling off the ledge.

"Not sure, thinking about how we got here I guess. At least how I did"

Brian is the navigator of our little group. He tends to steer us in the right direction. Just before getting completely lost, his helpful way guides us back on the right path...

"Well, I know we got here together" I say as I place my arms around him and absorb some of his pain.

Howie is the sponge. If something spills or falls he will be right there to wipe it up. Always dependable, always listening..

"So D, how goes it?" I ask Howie while still holding Nick in my arms. He seems pensive.

"Happy" The only word that matters.

AJ is the climate control. He can gauge whether he needs to be as happy as a clam or as serious as a heart attack. The master chameleon. Taking on whatever emotion he needs to in order to be the best he can be...

"We should probably get going soon, it's pretty dark and I don't want to get lost." I say as I let go of Nick. He wipes away the rest of his tears and moves back to the car.

Nick is the wheel. Worn and sturdy but yet if ignored can easily blow up. He is one of the most important parts to us, without him, the rest of the us don't function. We just sit there motionless...

"Shotgun!" AJ yells as he steps into the passenger seat. I decide to take over driving duties once again.

Me, I am the seat belt. I watch them to make sure that they won't hurt themselves. Restrain them from doing stupid things and occasional get tangled up in my own emotions...

Five men driving in a car, deciding their fate as a group, as friends and brothers. Such an important trip...

"So. what now?" AJ asks when we finally get back on the road. No one says anything.

"Let's go home" Brian says.

"No cabin then?" I ask making sure that is the final decision before I turn the car around.

"No, There's no need." He says. the silence means that it is agreed upon. I turn the car around.

"So home it is" I say.

We will stay together a group of five brothers, through good times and bad. We needed to take the Long Road Home to figure it out I guess...

The End