- Text Size +
Autumn looked down at the nameless tabloid with fury. There plastered all over the front cover (Not to mention on 3 other magazines.) was her and Alex, in the San Antone mall.

LOVERS QUARREL? IS THIS THE NEW AMANDA? Read more on Page 102.

BACKSTREET BOY AJ MCLEAN WAS CAUGHT SMOOCHING HIS NEW LOVE IN SAN ANTONIO MALL ON WEDNESDAY. AFTERWARDS...

LOOKS LIKE BACKSTREET BOY AJ MCLEAN HAS A LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP....HE WAS CAUGHT IN THE SAN ANTONIO MALL....

WHO IS THIS MYSTERY GIRL WITH BACKSTREET BOY AJ MCLEAN? WHERES AMANDA?

She slammed the magazines down and glared at the guys sitting across the table from her.

""What the hell is going on?" She slammed the US weekly down in front of Alex. A very incriminating picture of herself and Alex was on the front page. They were in an embrace, obviously right before he kissed her. The corner picture showed him kissing her with smooth finesse, while her face was beet red and flabbergasted.

She watched Alex exchange a look with Kevin. A smug one. Confused she tapped her fingers on the table.

"So, does anyone want to tell me what the hell is going on?" She was suprised that fumes weren't coming out of every hole in her face. Thats how mad she was.

"I'm..um..sorry?" Alex managed to squeak out.

She glared at him and calmy stated. "You're going to fix this, because I didn't kiss you, you kissed me."

Kevin laughed. He couldn't help it. Alex was so desperate to win this bet, that he forced himself on her.

"This is not going to happen again Mr. Mclean, are we clear?" She glared at all of them.

"Crystal." He grinned sheepishly.

"Look man, J, I know shes beautiful, but you don't need to go and harass her." Howie giggled.

Autumn visibly shook herself out. Reporters would be following them even closer now to find out who she is...Once they do, all hell will break loose.

"Okay boys, listen up. We have a fan contest going. A major one. Whoever wins this one, will get to have dinner with you, plus spend some one-on-one time with you. All of you. " She grinned obviously happy with her contest.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do." Alex watched her silk burgundy behind leave the office.

"Yo, J, you aren't supposed to force yourself on her dude. I hope you know this doesn't count." Kevin smirked from across the seats.

"Ya'll both disgust me. ' Brian huffed and left the room.

Nick and Howie looked at each other and shrugged. They didn't know anything, what else was new?




Autumn slammed the door to her hotel room shut. Her phone, knowing her mood, rang persistently.

"Autumn, I'm outside your door, open up!"

She grumpily opened up her door and stopped dead in her tracks.

"BROOKE!!!!" She pounced on the older woman, sending them crashing to the floor.

"I saw the tabloids and I knew how you'd be feeling about this. I know you don't like them like that and how damaged your ego must be right about now." When Autumn gave her a glare, she giggled.

"Oh cmon, there has to be SOME reason why you don't like these guys. They make it very hard not to, so what gives?" Brooke walked past her into the suite and sat down invitingly in one of the chairs.

"What makes you think they did something? Can't I just not like them just because? Heck, I'm probably the only woman who doesn't want them." Autumn sighed and walked slowly into her room, kicking off her stilettos on the way to the bed.

She looked wearily to the friend beside her. Could she let out her darkest secret? She had barely known Brooke for 2 years. Was she about to throw caution to the wind and let it fall all on faith for another person?

She took a deep breath and sighed.

"Okay, fine, I'll let it all go. I'll give you the sorid details of my childhood. You really want to know why I don't like them? Well here goes."

Brooke's mouth gaped, realizing that this has never happened to Autumn before. She was the one that was always in control. Now she was giving up part of that control to tell her about the past. Her past. The one thing she never knew about. Until now.

"When the boys first came out, I was what..Lets see, I'm 26 now, that would be what? 7 years ago?. I was 19 then. I didn't like them from the get-go. In fact, I was anit-boyband. I did throw away their first cd, proving to my parents that I wasn't like all of the other girls my age. Every year, some distant relative would find it in their hearts to give me their lastest cds. Every year, I'd laugh and throw it in the trash when they weren't looking. My best friend then, Marissa, was a fanatic. I would put up with her because she was my friend and thats what friends did: put up with each other. She was only 17. Well, she would try and force feed me their music. It never worked. Then one day, she came to me, estatic. Now let me tell you something before we move on. I wasn't exactly model-thin. I still had baby fat in all the wrong places. Next to her 115 pound frame, was my 160 pound one. I was self concious and had never been kissed. Anyway, she came in , excited. When she finally told me the reason, I didn't have the heart to deny her. The Backstreet Boys. They were coming to town for their tour and she got tickets. She told me she couldn't think of a better person to take, even though I knew that was a lie."

She got up and got a bottle of liquor from the mini bar. "Want some?" When Brooke nodded her head no, she sat back down again, taking a small sip.


"In fact, their were lines of girls wanting my ticket. Marissa's parents being rich, she got front row ones, as well as hard to get backstage passes. Well, the time came for me to go, and against all of my instincts, I went. I later found out my purpose for going. But we'll get into that in a moment. I had never listened to a song before. Not one. I was the only one in the whole arena not singing along. Marissa looked awesome in her little short skirt and tight tube top ensemble. Me on the other hand, looked like hell warmed over. I had on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt that covered my butt. My hair was put up in a messy ponytail and I had on the oldest sneakers I could find. As soon as Aj's voice hit that mic, I was entranced. I couldn't take my eyes off him. He had to of had the most beautiful voice I have ever heard. This coming from someone who hated them up until that point was truley remarkable. We were front row-center. When I saw him and his moves, it made me wish I had dressed a little bit better. I almost cried when he did his solo gig, it was that breathtaking. Anyway, all the while I was looking at him, he was looking at Marissa. Who could miss her? She was beautiful. It was then that I realized I had become the one thing that I had hated: a teeny. I was jumping up and down, waving my arms, trying to get their attention so they would look at me. I didn't know their songs but I sung what I could." She took another swig of her bottle and grimaced. "When the concert was finally over, I was nervous, freaking nervous about meeting them. We were escorted backstage and told to wait. They didn't have much time to talk, so it was agreed that we come with them to their hotel and talk, under security supervision. That was okay with me and lets just say Marissa was about to faint. So they came in and I froze up. Aj was even more beautiful then I could of ever imagined. I wanted him to be my first-for everything. That was my silly dream. I managed to mumble a "hi.' He gives me that all-knowing look and hugs me. Which to me, was protocol. The other guys pretty much greet me the same way. Okay, so we go to the hotel and Nick invites us to his room to play video games. We do. Everyone is there, having a good time. When suddenly out of nowhere, Aj and Marissa start making out. In this weird haze I was in, I started to cry. She knew he was my favorite, she could see. Then, it all dawned on me. The truth came crashing down on me in waves and waves of pain. She wanted me to go with her because I wasn't attractive and she would have the better chance at scoring with one of them if I was there. They finally looked up from their lip locking fest and looked at me. She sneers. I will forever remember her comment. She told me "What you actually think he would kiss you? Look at you, you're disgusting. He doesn't go for fat people Bree. Right baby?" He nodded in agreement! I was so embarassed that they could see through me. She looked at me and knew that I knew my real reason for being here. But instead of going psycho, I just start to hate them. Which isn't fair for the rest of them, because they didn't do anything. They just looked on sypathetically. As tears started streaming down my face I looked to each guy. Kevin leaves the room, fighting back laughter. Brian rushes over to me and hands me some tissues, whispering soothing comments into my ear. Nick, poor Nick doesn't know how to feel, so he just shuts down and stares off into space. Howie glares at Aj and Marissa, who by then have already started making out again. Its not fair to hate the other guys because Aj was a bastard. But, how can I not, when not one person stood up for me? Or told him to shut up? I was stupid back then, but I'll be dammed if I'm going to make the same mistake twice. So, I ran from the room and got a cab to take me home. I haven't talked to Marissa since and I hear she later became Alex's girlfriend. All the better, it leaves the good guys to the nice chicks. So that is why, dear Brooke, I can't stand them. The only one that ever so much as showed me any kind of compassion was Brian. For that, I am forever grateful. As years went on, I lost the weight and maintained it. I also swore by the no-backstreet rule. I continued not liking them and people stopped pushing me, knowing I was a lost cause." She sighed as tears streamed down her cheeks in rememberance.

"I was at a very impressionable age back then. I wanted to be liked. Being the only person my age to have never been kissed. But that all changed when I lost weight. I know you probably think I'm weird for getting all worked up over this, but like I said, I was devestated. The one person I acutally could see myself with shunned me. So completely just because of my weight. "

Brooke looked on with sad eyes as she blew her nose. "I don't think you're weird at all. In fact, that was horrendous. Im sorry that had to happen to you. Everyone puts these guys on such pedestals, its kinda hard to hear about anything different. When in fact, they are all just normal guys with normal, shallow tastes. " Brooke hugged Autumn tight, trying to soothe the pain of past betrayal.


Aj stopped dead in his tracks when he heard crying. He didn't mean to snoop, but..okay, he did. "...When suddenly out of nowhere, Aj and Marissa start making out..." Alex stopped his hand from going to the door. He was about to open it but stopped at Marissa's name. "....She told me "What you actually think he would kiss you? Look at you, you're disgusting. He doesnt go for fat people Bree. Right baby?"...Alex couldn't believe his ears as the familar tale came back to haunt him.

His feet were glued to the floor and his eyes were as wide as saucers when he finished listening to Autumn aka Bree recount the story that he had long ago forgotten.

He gulped in rememberance as a tear slid down his cheek for her pain. Quickly wiping it away before anyone saw him, he turned and walked to his room, shutting the door.


Kevin looked on in disgust as Alex listened in on Autumn. He watched as a tear rolled down his cheek. With an eyebrow raised , he watched Alex visibily shake himself and go to his room. Confused, he stood by the door where Alex's feet had once been. All that could be heard were silent sobs with soothing words.


He was even more confused now more than ever.

Knocking on the door, he waited for someone to open it.