- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is my first attempt at writing a fanfic, its sorta long but please stick with it, its pretty good! not sure if its pg or pg13 but b/ of cussing i added the 13! Hope ya'll enjoy and please leave comments!
Prologue

As Long As You Love Me…. We all sang in harmony…. I don’t care who you are, where your from, what you did, as long as you love me…. Brian! Brian!, are you ok?, what happened, talk to me? The music had stop, but I could still hear it ringing in my ears, or maybe it was the rising sound of an ambulance. I looked up and realized that Brian was out, cold. I ran over to him, along with A.J. who obviously just realized Brian had passed out, too. We were shoved aside as two men ran out of the ambulance with a gurney, and hauled Brian onto it, gently, with the help of Kevin.

Stop it Nick! Kevin’s tone was harsh, and I stopped cussing realizing that what was meant to be heard by only me, was clearly heard by every other person in the hospitals waiting room. Howie came and sat next to me, just in time to see a doctor come out into the waiting room, and address us as Brian Littrell’s party. We stared waiting for him to explain what was going on, the anticipation was nearly killing me, and letting my anger get the best of me, I stood up and practically yelled. “Get on with it already”! Kevin yanked me back in a chair and narrowed his eyes at me, and with that being said and done I shut my mouth.

We found the bullet that was clearly shot at Brian during the concert, it is lodged near Brian’s heart, on the right side of his chest. To start off we need someone who matches Brian’s blood type to be his blood donor, due to the great deal of blood lost. And if all goes well, we would like to have him go through surgery to remove the bullet, and having surgery is not really an option, at this point. If someone could please contact Brian’s family as soon as possible, we’ll start out seeing who matches Brian’s blood type. Might any of you be a relative to Brian? Kevin stood up, I’m his cousin, is there anyway I could be his donor? We can have you go back and see, the doctor answered, sending Kevin off with a nurse. Is there any one else? No, Howie answered, but is it possible that we could see if we match his blood? Sure but we need a close relative to try first, if you understand, the doctor said directly. We do, the three of us, Howie, me and A.J., answered in unison.

Hours later, we sat with Brian’s crying mother, Jackie, And his worrying father, Harold and brother, Harry.

Well there is one match, the doctor said, as he stood before us, everyone in the room anxious, by this point. Nick Carter? He asked. I stood up, my eyes I’m sure were nearly oozing out of my head, and my body took on the posture of complete surprise. Jackie stood up and gave me a hug, I actually think she was happy that I had the chance to do this, to return all the favors Brian had done for me.

Two weeks later, Brian was still in the hospital, there was no bad reactions to the blood transfer in his body, and although he had survived the surgery, he laid resting…in a coma, afterwards. The doctors were once again telling Jackie and Harold to prepare his funeral plans.



Chapter 1
I’ll never understand why bad things happen to good people, or just how people are suppose to handle death, but I figure it’s different for each person.


Two months ago Brian had died, and left me practically all alone in this world. I love the other guys and all, but it was Brian who stayed and played video games with me, while the other went clubbing, when I was too young to go, and he was the one who even cancelled a date on this girl he was going steady with, because the other guys were going clubbing, and I didn’t want to stay home alone, and be bored… Brian taught me most of life’s lessons, over all, lessons my dad never really had time to teach me.

We’d been to press conferences, and meetings of all kinds, had aired on TRL, and explained what had happened to Brian, and witnessed many fans turn all teary eyed at the prospect of it all, but the only tear that could be shed and fix this whole mess, was the simple tear of God… it’s amazing, how in eight years, you realize just what really matters, and just how much a person can change you in ways only the people around you would notice. We also took the time to explain to the fans that we would have one more concert, in memory of Brian, before the backstreet boys were completely over.

As we finished our part on TRL, I fled the place fast as lightning, I could feel the tears well in my eyes, we were scheduled for another meeting after we got off TRL, and I wasn’t sure I could hold up for that, but I knew we had a decision to make…what song would we sing in memory of Brian?

Brian was only 25 years old and had a full live ahead of him to lead, but now he would never finish it. Should the song be based upon that fact?, or about what a great life he did indeed lead in such a short time? Or maybe about how great he was, and how he seemed to make the world a better place, simply because he lived. But whatever we chose I needed a shower, and wanted to be home desperately.

I stood in the shower, letting the water wash away all my troubles, at least for the time being. And that’s when it hit me “Movin On” , that was the perfect song to sing, it didn’t really say much about Brian except that we would all move on with our lives, and that in one way things change but at the same time everything stays the same. I would discuss this with the rest of the guys tomorrow morning, but for now the feeling of cold water started to rain down on me, and I longed to be buried under the covers in my bed.


Chapter 2

Hey Nicky! Wake up dude, we have to go to rehearsal! I heard Brian’s voice, but I was almost in refusal to get up until… what the hell??? I sat up in horror, I was soaked with water, A.J. was laughing, and Brian was clearly trying to keep himself from joining A.J. . The anger sparked in me like a match on paper, and I stood up and through a complete tantrum, and then stormed off into the bathroom slamming the door behind me, it was only 8:00 in the morning for Gods sake!

Guys I swear to God, must you always keep the group being late, Fatima’s going crazy waiting on ya’ll to get here. A.J. backed away, his hands held up in defense, I didn’t do anything, Nicky here refused to get up, we had to throw w-

We had to go back to the house to get my baseball cap, it’s no biggie Kev, chill, it wont happen again, Brian claimed, stepping up to defended me. Kev rolled his eyes and walked away muttering something under his breath, and I through my arms around Brian he always stood up for me, even when I was in the complete wrong. Then I backed away, thank you so much B-rok - don’t thank me, Brian cut me short, because your right it wont happen again, next time I’ll just let ya sleep, and Kevin can come get you out of bed. Howie walked up at that time.

Can you guys PLEASE try to be on time, Howie always the rational one, pleaded.

We’ll try D, A.J. spoke up, and then we all headed to go start our rehearsal.

Get down! Get down!- we danced for what seemed like hours and all of us were trenched in sweat, and luckily only had to dance to one more song before we were allowed to go home and shower.

I felt an arm being slung around me, and looked up to find Brian standing there…and then-


I sat up, it all felt so real, and my hand flew up to my shoulder instinctively, but Brian’s arm did not linger there like in my dream. God, I could have sworn that all of that was real… but the truth was, it wasn’t. That happened six years ago, and I still had it etched in my mind, and it could never be erased. I knew I would not be able to sleep any longer, and I sat up, stretching, and walked into the kitchen and sat down at the table, it was only six in the morning.

I stood up when I realized I had sat there for an hour, it was already seven in the morning, That’s when I heard the phone ring, mid-stretch.

Hey Nicky! I flinched some, recalling the dream I had had. Umm…yea?

Well now, don’t you sound chipper.

Shut up A.J.!- what?

Jeez, sorry! Were meeting at Kevin’s to discuss the song were gonna sing for Brian, so meet us there at ten, k?

Fine, see ya soon. And with that I hung up the phone, and climbed the stairs to my room, so that I could throw some clothes on.

Chapter 3

Hey guys, so what’s up?

Nothing much Howie answered. Do you have any ideas for what we can sing for B-rok.

Yea… I was thinking that we could sing “Movin On”, I answered with no hesitation.

Everyone discussed it a little longer and then the decision was made, we would sing “Movin On”.

I don’t know about ya’ll but I’m gonna head home and go chill on my boat until rehearsal, I said, suddenly.

Kay, then DO NOT BE LATE! Kevin nearly shouted at me, either thinking I was deaf or stupid, one.

I CAN HEAR YOU. I felt like shouting back at that point, and did just that. That dream was striking back at me, and it was starting to annoy me. I walked out to my car, and drove down the road singing at the top of my lungs, the radio blaring.

The boat was floating in the middle of nowhere, and the sun was bearing down on me, but I didn’t get up to put sun screen on, the point was I was to lazy to get up from my spot on the deck.

The sound of my cell phone ringing, woke me up.

Umm, hello?

Hey, you gonna be here in the next thirty minuets? Kevin’s voice was stern.

Yea, I’ll be there Kev, chill. Without having to even look at myself, I knew I was sunburned, my skin felt to be on fire. See’ ya soon. I hung up and started steering the boat back towards the house.

I walked into the studio, surprised to see only Howie there, indicating that I was clearly not late.

Hey, D.

Sup? Howie was short wording himself lately.

Nothing much man, you? I answered somewhat slowly.

Same, same.

He stood up and stretched, but sat back down when A.J and Kevin walked in.

Hello’s were exchanged, and then we got down to business and started rehearsal. When we suddenly stopped, realizing that the part Brian usually did was not thrown in by him, and that caused somewhat of a problem, we all noticed it. I offered to do it, knowing that it may be better for me to sing for him, versus watching one of the other guys sing it, and leave myself open to crying. And we all started right up again, clearly ready to get this over with.


A long day called for a long shower, but for some odd reason I couldn’t shake the feeling that someone was watching me, it didn’t really scare me, for I didn’t feel like it was suppose to, but it sorta freaked me out, however I was desperately wanting get home in spite of the feeling.

I let the water pour down on me a few more seconds before stepping out of the shower, wrapped in a towel from the waist down.

I sighed, walking down the stairs, my hair wet, my boxers being the only clothing to cover my body. I sat on my back porch watching the sun go down, and before long I had drifted off to sleep.

Chapter 4

I watched the kids at the park run and scream in delight, until a little brown haired boy fell on the ground, his mother hopped of the bench she was sitting on and held him in her arms telling him everything would be alright, his tears falling freely, it made me remember when I was his age, Naïve enough to believe that mommy could heal all wounds and stop all hurt…but this kid probably had no idea what real pain was like. The memory started to deepen, when a short, Burnett stopped and asked me if anyone was sitting next to me.

Uhh, no, I answered her simple question.

Umm, kay, do you mind if I sit here then? She asked more politely than I’d have thought she would have.

Sure. She was pretty, her hair flowed just past her shoulders and she had dark blue eyes, ones you didn’t easily forget. I had the odd sense that someone was watching me, and by instinct I turned around to look, and that’s when the Burnett look up at me.

My name’s Casey, the Burnett said suddenly, holding out her hand to me.

I’m Nick I said, taking her hand in mine and giving a short shake.

Aren’t you a Backstreet Boy?, she asked.

Umm, yea I replied, getting a little uncomfortable.

Oh, I’m so sorry about Brian, I- I know ya’ll were close, he seemed like a really great guy, I really wish I could have met him.

Thanks I replied, the tears tingled in the corner of my eyes threatening to spill over. Are you a, umm, fan? I asked, changing the subject, to stop my tears from falling.

She blushed slightly, a little, yea, she answered in a soft voice.

Oh, was all I could really say. So, how old are you?

I’m 21 she answered. How old are you?, she asked right back.

I thought you were a fan, I teased.

Oh, I am, I just like A.J that’s all, she shot right back.

I smirked and answered, I just turned 20.

She smiled, so what are you planning on doing after you guys you know quit being backstreet boys?, she asked out of the blue, breaking the awkward silence that filled the air.

Not really sure, probably start my own album, I’ve been wanting to but… I trailed off.

Oh. I’m in college, I want to be a pediatrician, I love kids She said, obviously seeing my discomfort on the subject.

That’s cool I said.

Anyways I’m gonna head home, go make some dinner she said, standing up.

Umm, ok, it was nice meeting you. I said standing up, and shaking her hand.

Let me see you hand right fast she said.

I looked at her confused but did as I was told.

I looked down at my hand, and on it in blue pen was her name and number. She closed her purse, and then…

You can call me, if you ever need a friend, you know? Just to talk sometime, she answered my questioning eyes, quickly.

I smiled at that, ok, I might do just that sometime, I said.

Talk later she said, turning the other way and walking back to her car, as if me being famous and saying I would call her didn’t matter to her, it actually made me have some sort of comfort. And then I felt the feeling that seemed to linger in the air constantly, I looked all around me, and saw no one looking at me, and then I looked into the sky, but saw nothing. That’s when I felt a heavy breeze swipe across me, and it freak me completely out, it had been humid with not one single blow of the wind all day, and I seemed to be the only one who felt it just then.

I took off in a run to my car, but the gentle breeze seemed to keep up with me, and in the gentle breeze it sounded like my name was being softly said. I stopped running, out of breath, sweaty, and scared crapless at this point. What?, I suddenly yelled, I was scared and wanted to know why I was the only one who felt a gentle breeze, that knew how to say my name at that! But there was no answer and the breeze had stopped, and the people who had turned around to stare at me, after my sudden outburst started muttering about me. I walked by two old women who were talking, and heard one say “ poor boy, he just lost his best friend, I think he might be going crazy, not knowing what to do with himself!”. I stormed off to my car, not bothering to look back.

Chapter 5

Hey Frack! How’s it going?

Could be better I answered, but how am I talking to you, you passed away a few months ago!

Nah, what have I told you Frack, the body dies, not the soul, Brian’s words started to sink in, but then-

I was jerked out of sleep by my alarm clock. Each dream seemed to be more real then the last, and Brian’s touch seemed to never fade, even now, as I lay awake. What Brian had said in his dream, those words, would be forever glued in his mind, and now he lay thinking about what Brian had said. “ Nah, what have I told you Frack, the body dies, not the soul”…. and Brian’s words played like a broken record in his mind, until sleep pulled him in.

The streets seemed a little more empty then ever before, my hands buried in my pockets and my blonde hair blowing in the soft breeze that accompanied me, I was actually learning to get use to it. Nick, the breeze wheezed lightly, Nick, it almost seemed urgent, and surprisingly like someone I knew but the name and the voice weren’t connecting… wait, was I crazy?, I had a breeze that on the hot, humid, summer days of Florida no one else felt, and better yet it knew how to say my freaking name! Therapy was totally becoming an option for me by this point, I had to be going crazy, wind didn’t talk that was insane and if I told a psychiatrist that the wind talked to me he would probably order me to the insane asylum. I can imagine it now “ hey Doc! See there’s this little breeze that keeps following me, and no one else can feel it, I’ve actually asked a couple people if they could! And you wanna know the best part? It knows how to say my name! cool huh? and his response “dear God, what is wrong with you boy, to the insane asylum with ya!” The thought almost made me laugh, almost! I shook the feeling to laugh, bubbling in side me, off when the breeze finally seemed to have left.


“hello”? A.J. sounded sort of surprised, we hadn’t really talked much since the incident.

Hey I said sounding casual. So what’s up with you?

Umm, nothing, how bout you?

Nothing too much, do you think we might could hang out today…if your not busy that is.

Sure, what’cha wanna do?

Lets go get some food somewhere and, then we can just head on back to our own places if ya wanna.

Sure, see ya soon. Where at though?

How about Pizza Inn?

Kay, see ya there.

Later.

The call ended on an odd note it seemed, we hadn’t talked in months, that’s is not including occasional days we were all in the studio and here we were ready to go eat like everything was normal again.


Chapter 6

Hey, J! sup? Nothing much, AJ was quick to answer.

We sat eating pizza, and I don’t know what came across me but I finally decided it was time to tell someone about the constant breeze that could say my name, and being more relaxed then I had been for months, I told A.J. .

So let me get this straight, you can feel a breeze and it knows how to say your name? A.J. sounded as if he didn’t believe me and I almost got mad at myself for telling him.

That’s right I answered sounding defensive.

I don’t know Nick, maybe its some sort of sign or something.

I don’t know maybe so, I wiped my mouth and then stood up and stretched, laying a tip on the table. Look Im’a head home k J?

Sure he said standing up and adding some money to the tip. See ya man, call some time, I’m always there for ya.

Deciding against hugging him to prevent gay roomers from getting on the loose, we slapped hands and headed different way.


Toss, turn, toss, turn. It had became like some sort of ritual at night now, sleeping seemed to no long be an option for me. But tonight was different. I felt… at ease.

Nick? Hey buddy what’s up? Can you hear me? Brian’s voice was soft as always, and he seemed so happy.

Yea, is that you Bri?

Yep!

How have you been? What’s new? Are you like an angle? How are we talking? The questions fled my mouth before I could prevent them.

Brian chuckled. Yea, I guess you could say I’m an angle, and buddy if I’m an angle I think that’s some thing new, don’t you? Well, were talking because hello I’m an angle, how cool is that? Brian sounded enthusiastic.

The words DUH seemed to smack me right in the forehead, Brian may be an angle but he was still hyper active as ever. So I’m like really talking to you? This isn’t a dream?

Well it’s while your asleep so when you wake up yes it will be like dream, but nah were really talking dude!

Oh! that’s so cool! You know, your missing so much down here on earth, I mean I know you can see everything that’s goin on and all but, you don’t know how we feel- or do you?

Well yea- here lets start from the beginning.

Ok.

You know that little breeze you keep feeling?

The one that can say my name? yea, how can I not?

Ok, well umm, that’s me Nicky! You thought I sounded familiar but you wouldn’t answer it to find out. But now my secrets out, and I trust that its safe with ya.

So its been you all along? I cant believe this!

Brian chuckled once again. Yea see I can see everything but I know what you think, how you feel, and what you think about life because… wow this may sound corny.

S’okay, go on, nick urged lightly.

I’m your guardian angle, so what do ya think, I never imagined me being my best friends guardian angle.

You are? So what exactly does that mean, what do you do?

I look after you Nick, your in need of help, you feel lost and alone now, but don’t worry I’m here for ya whenever you need me, just like old times buddy.

The tears left his eyes before he knew what was happening, Brian had been there all along, just like he promised. He remembered being 14 and hearing Brian say “it’s ok Nick, I’m always here for ya, no matter what, till the end.” you kept your promise? I said like a kid still in elementary school.

Yep, except now I can watch over you for forever! Brian, by that point, had moved over to Nick and hugged him, like old times.

He was practically sobbing by now, his head on Brian’s shoulder, and then he pulled back from him, wiping at his eyes.

Brian just waited patiently for Nick to talk.

So if I like ever need you, I can just say your name or something and there you’ll be ready to support me or something?

Yep! Anyways I gotta go, time to go help the other angles take a five year old up to heaven. He’s been sick for a long time we’ve all wondered when it was gonna happen, his voice trailed off. Anyways see ya later frack.

Later frick, and hey dude?

Yea?

Love ya bro!

You too, bye Nicky!

Bye.


Chapter 7

Nick sat up in bed, it was already 9:00 A.M., his most current dream, from last night, was suddenly coming at him full blast. He sat with his legs now dangling off the side of the bed. So that little breeze was Brian? That seemed ludicrous, was he seriously gonna believe that Brian was now his guardian angle?, that talked to him, and not just in his dreams. Well there was the fact that he could hear him, that almost made him want to believe it all, but that thought quickly passed and was soon replaced with another as he was reminded that he couldn’t even see him, maybe he was just dreaming dreams at night that meant nothing and he was going completely insane, so insane as to hear little breezes that could call out his name, this was all too surreal and it made his head hurt. He got out of bed raking his hands through his hair, he decided that the next time that little breeze confronted him he would say something back.

The suns rays were bearing down hard on all of Orlando, Florida, and Nick was perfectly content in his pool, when something tipped him off of his float and he was non too kindly sent sputtering into the water, expecting to find A.J behind him he came up in a rage ready to demand A.J. give him one reason as to why he was here! But his mask of anger was replaced with one of confusion as he turned around to find nothing but the air that lingered around him.

Nick got out of the pool and dried off, completely creeped out, and headed inside.

AN: I’m not sure if Nick lives there or not but in this story we’ll just say he does.J

Nick picked up the folded piece of paper he had wrote Casey’s number on, he was hesitating on calling her, he’d only met her once.

Nick felt like an idiot, the phone was still ringing, and even though it had only rang twice nick was sure she wouldn’t answer and would leave him to feel like an idiot, even more so than he already did.

“hello” Casey had just got off work and not recognizing the number she picked up the phone her “hello” seemed irritated, she figured it was someone trying to sell something.

“Uhh, hey” is this Casey?

Yes, may I ask who’s speaking, she was starting to feel uneasy.

Hey, Its Nick, Nick carter.

Oh, Hey Nick, her voice had completely softened. So what’s up?

Nothing much, you?

I just got off work, its been a long day!

I hear ya. Well if your busy ill let ya go Nick said, not wanting to keep her from doing her usual routine.

No that’s ok, I assume you called for something, so why don’t we talk, it came out more as a statement than a question.

Two hours rolled by, and both Nick and Casey, in separate houses had switched positions continuously. Nick kept trying to get a popcorn kernel in his mouth while hanging half way off the sofa, and Casey was content with painting her nails. They realized they could easily take on a conversation.

Nick hung up the phone, shaking his head slightly he still couldn’t believe they had talked for two hours straight. Suddenly the breeze was swirling around him again. He stood still for a few moments and when the breeze called his name, he hesitated a moment but managed to ask “what?”, this time more as a simple question, than the angry and scared one, he had resigned to at the park.

Hey man! How’s it going, bout dang time I got your attention.

Nick shook his head some in disbelief. Brian? Nick asked incredulously.

The one and only my man!

Nick fell back on the sofa. So, how’s it going? His attempt at starting a conversation was shaky and felt a little off key.

Brian stared at the man he called “best friend”. he couldn’t believe Nick was so scared to even talk to him. But the feeling of hurt left Brian immediately, he made his self visible, so that only he and Nick could see him, maybe Nick would open up more if he could see Brian.

Nicks eyes widened slightly but regained normal size in only a matter of seconds. It really is you! Nick stood up and threw his arms around him! He knew he’d be sobbing before this was all said and done.

Course it is Nicky! So how have you been? What are you and Casey planning on going to see at the movie theaters this Friday?

Nick was shocked, but recovered quickly. Not really sure we haven’t discussed it. How did you know we were going?

Well I am your guardian angle so I do happen to know a little! Plus you talked to the girl for hours Nicky, couldn’t help but over hear your conversation! Brian laughed slightly at the expression on Nicks face.

Don’t worry your secrets safe with me dude, ain’t like I can tell anybody else anyway.

Nick sighed, looking over at Brian who had made his self comfortable on the couch. He looked so different, he had the light glow of an angel, but he wasn’t just visual air, you could actually touch him. So how long have you been watching over me?

Not long after I died I found out it was time for me to become you guardian angel.

So why didn’t you come to help me sooner Bri?

I wanted to but God told me that I would know when you truly needed me, and I didn’t feel it until now.

That doesn’t make any sense Brian, I’ve needed help for a long time, I just lost my best friend a few months ago and not many other people were as close as we were, could you not feel that? Nick sounded hurt, but not angry.

I knew you needed me but if I had came earlier you wouldn’t have been rational about my leaving, and then finding me to be by your side all along would have sent you in to a flurry of questions, if my coming now hasn’t already.

I just don’t understand. Will you always be here? Or are leaving again when I’m not as lost and confused?

Like I said I’m here till the end Nicky, whenever you need me I’ll be here, even when you 82!

Nick smiled slightly, so can you still do the things we use to do?

Well video games I don’t think I’ll ever give up being attached to so we can play those still, if you wanna.

Awesome! Really?

Yep!

Nick hooked up his play station, and handed Brian one of the controllers. And so the games begun.


Chapter 8

Nick slept soundly that night, and Brian didn’t interfere with his dreams this time, no Casey took his place instead.


Nick rang Casey’s doorbell nervously, but why he did not know, it wasn’t as if he hadn’t had dates with people before, most of them were famous, so he didn’t know what made this one different, but it was.

Hey, Casey had swung the door open only 5 seconds after he rang.

Hey she replied. So do you have anything in mind that you’d like to go see?

Umm, not really. You?

I wanna go see “A Nightmare On Elm Street”. How does that sound? You like scary movies right?

Sure. I like scary movies, I hadn’t thought about going to see that one, but I’ve wanted to for awhile.

The night with Casey had turned out to be wonderful, Casey had ended up in Nicks arms more than once, and Nick didn’t think that that was just coincidence either.

How’d it go Nick?

Nick knew Brian’s voice all to well, but he decided to dismiss it for the time being. Nick looked at Casey, finally he hugged her goodbye at her door step, not taking the time to say goodbye differently, Brian was annoying him.

When Nick was finally to his car, he asked Brian “what? Jeez Bri, you sure know how to annoy somebody at the wrong time!”

Brian just laughed, sorry I decided not to follow ya’ll to the movies, figured you could use some privacy and I’ve been dieing to know what happened.

Another thing that didn’t change about Brian was his urge to be nosy.

It was fine, we watched “A nightmare on elm street”, Casey ended up in my arms on more than one occasion! I had a good time, for the first time in a long time.

Awesome! that’s great buddy! Brian had always been know to sound overly chipper.

Well were not serious yet, and with my history in the dating department, I’ve probably just picked up another user.

Well jeez Nick, if your so sure she’s really that way, then don’t be surprised if you find out she is.

Sorry Bri. Let’s drop this conversation.

Fine. Brian started going through Nicks glove compartment, and then picked up Nicks CD holder, and started looking through them.

What’cha doin?

What’s it look like Doofus? Finding a CD!

Oh. Nick shrugged at him.

Brian picked up one of Nicks “Journey” CD’s and popped it in, and together they sang loudly the whole way home.

Chapter 9

Yo B-rok, where you at? Nick looked around him in the hopes of finding Brian to be there.

Boo! Brian gently pressed his fingers into Nicks back, giving him a scare.

Ahh! Nick jumped a foot in the air, swirling around to look behind him. Brian?

Uhh huh! That would be me! He wore an angelic smile as Nick faced him, his hands behind his back, and swaying back and forth from his tip toes to his heels over and over again.

Nick shook his head , chuckling slightly. You’ve always liked sneaking up on people, I should have known what I was in for.

Brian laughed with him, and then changed the subject. So what’s up Nicky?


Not to much, but- hey, Nick was known to cut his sentences short and this time was no different. Lets go sit on the sofa, I’m tired of standing, Nick directed Brian to the sofa and the two got caught up and then there was yet another subject change.

Two and a half hours later, Nick and Brian had changed positions on the sofa. Nick had one leg hanging off the arm rest and his upper body hanging off the entire sofa, Brian on the other hand had his head facing nicks feet, his legs hanging off the opposite arm rest. There was four empty soda cans and an empty chip bag. The entire scene was comical to say the least.

So let me get this straight, you want me to go into Kevin’s house and randomly move stuff into the wrong places, and do stuff to completely freak him out? Brian was stating the obvious to Nick.

Yep, that’s what I want you to do, Nick answered, he had only been half listening, Brian had a way of boring you if you listened to him too long.

Ok, but what’s in it for me? Besides the mere enjoyment of watching my cousin freak out.

That’s all there is to it, un less you include the fact that your helping a good friend out, Nick sat up long enough to give Brian the puppy dog eyes and then went back into his current position.

Fine! Brian wouldn’t have told Nick no anyways, it would be a classical joke, and Brian had always been all for that kind of stuff.

Chapter 10

Nick and Casey had decided to call there little date to the movies more of a friendly outing, to make the point that they were only interested in being friends. Neither of the two could see any other kind of relationship happening.

Four months had passed since Brian’s death, and two months had passed since Casey and Nick met. Brian had, however came back, at least to Nick. And Casey and Nick hadn’t really hung out too much, Nick was usually at rehearsal and Casey always had her nose in the books.


Nick walked into the recording studio, even though they weren’t recording they were rehearsing there. Howie and A.J. were both sitting there, talking quietly, Kevin however was absent.

Kevin walked into the studio, slamming the door behind him, he was over an hour late. “Hey ya’ll, sorry I’m so late”. Kevin’s voice switched from sounding rushed to angry, “ I put my key’s on the door hook, I know I did, but they weren’t there this morning, so I had to search the whole house for’em, finally found the damn things under the sofa, which is kinda creepy”, Kevin was talking faster than he normally did.

Nick busted out laughing at a joke only he could understand, Brian had his hand on Nick’s shoulder and He was laughing right along with Nick, however only Nick could be heard by the others.

“What’s so freaking funny?” A.J. demand.

Nothing…it’s just that… all these years Kevin yelled at us for bein late, and he shows up later than any of us ever did, Nick chocked out between giggles.

A.J. and Howie started laughing too, and Kevin was giving all of them death glares, which only made the three laugh harder.

“Alright, alright!” Lets just starting practicing the song now, Kevin was eager to move past this.

The music for “Movin On” started and everyone got ready to sing, and stopped messing around.

Alright…I don’t know about ya’ll but I’m bout ready for a break Nick exclaimed sounding overly dramatic to be exact. Even with that being so the others didn’t argue, and were off to take ten!

Yo, Nicky you wanna come with me to get a snack from that vending machine thingy down the hall, A.J. asked stopping him abruptly!

Uhh nah thanks J, im’a go get my jacket from the car.

Alrighty then, your loss though…I know thousands of girls that would love the chance to go with Bone Daddy to the vending machine, A.J. stated matter-of-factly.

Sure J, whatever you say.

Hey man, that rhymed!

Umm, cool?, Nick asked uncertainly, A.J. was being just plain stupid and Nick was eager to get the heck away from him, where ever that may be!

See you in about 5 minuets then, A.J. said!

Yep, Nick took off in the opposite direction as A.J. .

Nicky, you shouldn’t be so darn hard on J, he’s just being himself, Brian’s voice recognizable anywhere, no matter what.

Hey Bri. Look you don’t understand every since you left they’ve been swarming all each other and me. I mean first we never even had the guts to call each other, now it’s like they’re scared to be apart, in a non-gay way if that makes any sense, and its just driving me nuts!

Brian shook his head slowly, a small frown on his face. Nick they’re all trying to find a way to handle my death that works out for all of you.

Nick stopped suddenly, and looking over at Brian declared, well I can understand that Brian but they only have two solutions, either we don’t talk to each other at all or we practically crawl up each others ass!

Brian couldn’t help but laugh at Nicks choice of words, and his contagious laughter wiped away the stern look off Nicks face as he joined in with him.

Alright look I understand where your coming from too Nick, but look at it through their eyes they’ve lost me for good, at least to them, where as you know I’ll always be here for ya and you know it!

Yea, Nick shook his head slightly, look I gotta go I’m actually late which means their probably looking for me! Later Bri.

Later, bro.

Nick walked into the rehearsal room to find all of them gone, yep they were on a hunt for him. Not 5 seconds after he walked in the other guys followed.

Nick where have you been, we thought something happened, we thought… Howie’s voice trailed off. Nick was shocked at sweet Howie’s little out burst, but quickly recovered! Guys we were on a ten minuet break and I was 3 minuets late, chill, when they got like this it just flat out annoyed Nick.

Guys look Nick’s right, we just over reacted, lets just begin rehearsal again, we only have about 20 more minuets, Kevin was more rational than Nick would have thought him to be…the roll in which each guy had played was reversed!


Chapter 11


Nick’s phone rang for the 2nd time, finally causing Nick to break from the chorus and flip open his phone. Hello?

Uhh…it’s me, Casey! Is it a bad time to call, I just wanted to see what you were up to but I can always call back later.

No it’s all good, so anyway what’s up with you?, Nick asked. A.J. had a confused look on his face and his hands were in the air questioning him. Who is it he finally whispered realizing Nick wasn’t willing to answer his hand signals.

Can you hold on one second Casey? Nick asked a little too politely than normal. Sure, Nick could tell Casey was smiling on the other line. “My friend Casey” Nick answered, about to put the phone to his ear again. A.J. pulled the phone from Nick’s hand setting it lightly on the table. “Who’s Casey bro?” A.J. was relentless with the questioning. “She’s my friend J, now I’m gonna step out for a second, k guys?” Nick looked around at the rest of the group in questioning. Howie and Kevin nodded and A.J. reluctantly gave in.

Hey Casey, sorry about that!
Nah it’s no problem Nick. Any way’s were your practicing with the boys?, cuz like I said I just called to talk but we can do this later.
Well umm we haven’t really practiced too much lately to be honest, but hey do you think I can call you later today? Nick asked.
Sure! No problem.
Alright then talk to ya later Casey!
Bye Nick.

Alright Guys I’m rea- Nick cut his sentence short, when he walked into the room Kevin was pacing the room quietly and Howie was naming different places, A.J. however just sat playing with a piece of paper. “guy’s what’s goin on?” Nick asked looking slightly confused.

Kevin can’t find his cell phone he says he’s positive he left home with it this morning, it was in his jacket pocket according to him, but now it’s mysteriously disappeared, A.J. explained…. But personally I think his old age is catching up with him he laughed.

Nick smiled in spite of the glare Kevin shot their way.

What’d you do with it Nick, Kevin asked angrily.

Nick looked up at Kevin, I didn’t touch it dude.

Nick I’m serious this is no time for game’s we gotta start practicing again, Kevin said keeping his voice steady.

I swear I haven’t touched it I haven’t even seen it all day! Relax dude I’m sure it’ll show up somewhere. Look I’m gonna go call Casey back, k?

Whatever, if you see my phone let me know, I mean it Nick, Kevin was frustrated and it showed very clearly through his tone.

Hey, Casey? , This is Nick.

Oh hi, what’s up?

Nick heard something fall and then Casey screamed.

Casey?!?! Are you ok? Talk to me, Nick started freaking.

OH MY GOD! I HATE spider’s, I HATE them! Casey climbed onto the counter top, took her shoe off and threw it hard at the ugly insect. THWAP! The shoe smacked against the floor crushing the spider. Nick, Casey said his name slowly and hesitantly. You their, she asked finishing her sentence.

Nick busted out in laughter, and clenching his stomach he finally caught his breath, just enough to make out the words “I’m here” breathlessly at that.

Nick this is SO not funny I hate bugs, bugs of any kind, but especially spiders she exclaimed! Why are you calling me back anyway? she asked hoping off the counter.

Well Kevin can’t find his phone so were on another break and I thought id give u a call back and I’m glad I did I would hate to have missed that little episode, Nick said laughter in his voice.

Well I guess I’m not that lucky am I?, if only you would have called 5 minuets later I wouldn’t have to suffer through such humiliation Casey said sighing as she slightly lifted her shoe up.

Nah it’s no big deal, trust me you don’t know what you got yourself into, offering to be my friend and all…you’ll probably see me do more embarrassing things than what you just did by far, Nick said trying to make Casey feel better, if only a little.

Casey chuckled, bringing a smile to Nick’s face, yea but your Nick Carter whatever you do that’s embarrassing I probably wont even notice.

Nick laughed, I’m only human though, but yea it is nice to have that little advantage. But any way’s Kevin found his phone and he’s holding it out at me, while giving me a glare I thought only the devil could perfect.

Casey started laughing but quickly told him she could let him go and that she’d call him later.


Kevin waited till Nick hung up and then walked briskly over to him. Do you know where this was Nick? Kevin asked but answered before Nick could, it was in the bathroom, and you know what? You’re the only one that’s been in there today!

Nick’s eyes widened. I swear dude I haven’t touched it all day, don’t you think if I took it into the bathroom it would have easily been spotted?

No, you have your ways of doing things I wonder if even God has the Brains to think up, Kevin said in a cold voice. Kevin looked at Nick, still standing there wide eyed, and then shook his head. “I do believe you this time, for once” Kevin announced sounding suddenly very self-assured. “Because if you had taken it into the bathroom, to hide it from me that is, then it would probably be in the toilet, or someplace I’d never want to find it” Kevin said backing up his last response.

Nick smiled at that, Kevin do you seriously think I’d do that?

Yes I do Kevin said walking back into the studio.

Nick followed Kevin inside but instead of taking his place like he normally would he stood up looking at each of the guys.

Nick can you please sit so we can begin practice again.

As told to, Nick sat. look guys I know this may be a stupid, crazy idea but, I need ya’ll to consider it, Nick began. Looking around at the other 3 he started again, I was thinking maybe we could do like a mini concert. Think about it who knows when we’ll all be back up on stage performing together again, and just doing what we love to do. It would be awesome thing to do for the fans, and everyone we love, and mainly, ourselves. We could do some of our songs and some of other Artist’s songs, Nick finished. The silence was killing Nick, forcing him to look up and read the expression on each mans face.

Kevin spoke first. Nick do honestly think we’ll all be able to hold up through the entire song, let alone an entire concert? Kevin’s voice was a scaring calm, it made Nick shiver slightly. Well, Nick said, I don’t know it was just a suggestion I thought maybe… A.J. cut him off “ I think we should do it guys, Nick’s right”. “Kev, maybe we should give it a try” Howie said agreeing with Nick and A.J. . Kevin stared at each of them, analyzing there thoughts no doubt. Nick you said a mini concert, what do you mean by MINI? Kevin asked emphasizing the word mini for good measures. Well like 4 or 5 songs instead of just one, Nick answered like he’d had the thought all along.

Kevin sighed, can’t we think about it later, and practice now?

Sure Kev, I know that Ancient brain of yours has to run a course before it has an answer, Nick said chuckling at the expression Kevin made!

Chapter 12

Hey Bro what’s up? Aaron asked excited that he finally got a hold of His older brother.

Nothin much little dude, you? Nick said smile very evident in his voice!

Well I have two weeks before the second leg of my tour kicks off and I was kinda wonderin if you’d like some company for awhile, he said in a rush of words.

Well Nick started getting ready to turn the boy down….

PLEASE Nick! I promise I wont cause no trouble, Aaron said cutting Nick short.

Well I was just gonna ask when your flight was but now you done made a promise to me, Nick said trying to play it off like he had planned all along to say yes.

Aaron chuckled but didn’t argue, and then they hung up so Aaron could pack up his suitcase!


Nick shook his head as he dropped his phone back into his pocket.

“Hey Nick what’s up dude?” Brian’s voice rang out loud and clear in Nicks house.

Nick spun around, anger shining bright in his eyes. You!, he said pointing to Brian… You little shit, you did that phone thing on purpose he said charging after Brian. Brian’s eyes got wide but he was soon on the run from Nick.

You were suppose to pull the prank on Kevin not me you idiot! Nick yelled as he stood at one side of his kitchen table, Brian on the opposite. Brian laughed, I know, I know, but I couldn’t resist. Nick lunged at Brian, to anybody else it would have looked as if Nick were running after the air, but Brian was as human as it got from Nick’s point of view, that is disregarding the light glow that always surrounded him. Brian was faster and was on the run once again.

Nicks cell went off causing both Brian and Nick to stop and look at Nicks ringing pocket. “Hello” Nick answered while mouthing to Brian , I will get you!

Hey Nick, It’s Casey.

Oh hey Casey, what’s up Nick asked, watching as Brian flopped down on the sofa.

Uhh nothing, Nick you sound out of breath, do I wanna know what you were doing when I called, and should I call back at a better time, Casey asked.

Nick blushed, uhh no I was running around in the back yard he said, lying.

Oh I see Casey said not believing him for a moment.

You don’t believe me do you Nick asked.

Well not really, but let’s just get past that. I was just wondering if you were busy, Casey asked in a low voice.

Umm, nope I’m not actually, why did you have something planned, Nick asked.

Well I was kinda wondering if, Casey was stumbling on the words. Nick I’m not very good at this if you can’t tell.

Nick fought the slight urge to laugh at Casey’s obvious discomfort in asking Nick out. Well why don’t we go catch a movie, you know just as friends, Nick said finishing Casey’s sentence.

Yea, that’s what I was trying to say, but umm… Casey trailed off, do you want me to meet you there.

Well I can just pick you up if you want, Nick offered.

Uhh sure, when will you be here Casey asked.

Umm in about 20 minuets is that alright? Nick asked casually.

Yea that’s fine, see ya soon Nick.

See ya. Nick dropped his phone in his pocket, and glared at Brian who was still flopped out on the sofa, but had actually fallen asleep. Nick smiled mischievously, and headed into the kitchen and took out mustard, ketchup, and pickle’s.

Nick bent down on his knee’s beside the sofa and opening the ketchup bottle made a perfect circle around Brian’s face. He then used the mustard to squeeze a smile onto Brian’s lips, which twitched some at the feel of it. And lastly he put the pickle’s over Brian’s eyes, and pulling out his cell phone he took a picture of Brian ,and laughed the whole way out the door.


Chapter 13

I woke up to the feel of something rather cold on my eyes, I sat up and two pickles fell in my lap, and suddenly I realized Nick was gone…but he had decided to get me back after all. I walked into the hallway bathroom and blinked 3 time’s before busting out in laughter, I washed my face off and headed back to heaven, it was time to go back for awhile and let Nick do a little on his own. And with that Brian rose back to heaven in an instant.




Once again Nick and Casey stood at her door. So that was an awesome movie Casey said, not sure of what else to say. Yea, agreed Nick. So, umm I guess I should go he said. Yea… Casey trailed off. Suddenly Nick leaned down and his soft lips landed gently on hers. With that Nick said good night and walked back to his car.

Casey opened the door, and squealed as if she were a teenager again. Kissing him had felt so right, like some how that was how things were suppose to be, and in that instance her problems vanished until he pulled away and reality set in. I gotta call Lauren, she’s gonna freak. Casey picked up the phone, but quickly set it back down, what was she thinking there was no way she could call her best friend and tell her she’d just kissed Nick carter, he was her little secret, for his sake…and hers. For some reason she could no longer imagine living without him being associated with her some way or another.


Nick sat in his car, just sitting there and thinking. Kissing her had felt…good, to be honest. For once in his life it felt like he was kissing a girl who actually liked him, him as in the normal Nick, not Nick Carter “The Backstreet boy”. Nick finally started the car and popped in “Escape”, his favorite Journey CD, and with that he drove home.

AN: I have NO idea if Escape is Nicks fave. Journey CD or not but hey, if it works for the story it works for me!

Chapter 14

Nick walked into the house, Yo Bri, he hollered, while closing the door behind him. Bri?, he asked again. No answer sounded after him. Nick walked into the kitchen and saw a note on the fridge, and slowly pulled it off.

Dear, Nick
We’ll I’ve been around for awhile with ya now, but God has some other things he needs me to get done, so I’ll be checkin up on ya after a little while, ill be back, don’t think I’ve forgotten ya, ill see ya in a few weeks, maybe sooner, if ya really need me!

Love, Brian.

Nick shook his head, why did he have to leave right now, things were changing between him and Casey, but Brian wasn’t even there to be told.

Nick shook his head, he never knew Brian would just up and leave, I mean he said he’d be back but still, it sucked quiet frankly he was just getting use to havin him around. He ran up the stairs and into the shower, When the phone suddenly rang. Hello Nick asked exasperatly, all he wanted to do was get into the shower with no disturbances.

Hey, came the cheery voice of, Aaron.
Hey Nick said back, perking up a little.
I was just calling to tell ya my flight is for tomorrow, and ill be arriving at like 1:00, ok?
Alright, well I’ll pick ya up then.
Alright, later bro.
Later.

Nick woke up around ten in the morning the next day, to find that it was pouring down rain outside. Nick got out of bed and walked to the kitchen, and then fumbled with the light switch. He was still slightly tired.

Around 11:30 Nick heard his cell phone go off. Hello? he answered.
Uhh, Nick?, hi…it’s me, Casey.
Oh whats up?
Well this is kinda embarrassing but my freaking piece of crap of a car broke down, about 10 minuets away from your house and I kinda have no way to get home.
Oh, I see, well I’m about to be leaving to go pick up my little brother from the airport, but if you don’t have anything important to do you can just come with me, he said.
Oh, sure, if you don’t mind, neither do I, casey said, just happy she wouldn’t have to walk home in the rain, all her friends were in their classes, no chance of getting ahold of them.
Alright well, ill see ya in about 10, k?
Alright, see ya soon Nick.
Later.


Beep, beep. Casey’s head jolted up from the steering wheel, and she turned around to see if that was Nick behind her beeping the horn. Yep, it was Nick. She got her purse, and locking the doors, got out and ran to Nicks car, hopping in as fast as she could. “Hey Nick”
Hey, Case, how’s it goin?
Ugh, she moaned, ive been better. You?
I’m doin alright he said, as he put the car in drive and headed towards the airport.

The ride there was pretty much silent. Until…
Nick?, where does what happened last night, leave us?, Casey’s words seem to cut through the air, breaking the awqward silence.
I really don’t, Nick sighed.
Are we still just friends, I mean, Casey cleared up, for some reason feeling like she had to.
Well, Nick started off, I guess that’s sorta up to you, he answered.
Oh, Casey said sounding quiet surprised, how so?
Well, I mean, I wanna be with you, but what about you do you wanna be with me? Can you handle my busy, and hectic schedule?
Casey looked up at him, honestly I think me and you can find a way to make it work.
We wont be seeing too much of each other though, cause you’ll be doin more and more school work and once I start touring…
Casey cut him off, Nick I know ,and I think we can make it work, you may not have been touring when we met, but your life will always be hectic, And we’ve still managed a friendship, she said.
Nick sighed, I know, I know.

Nick parked the car and ran inside the crowed airport with casey right beside him.

Nick found a seat and him and casey sat there talking, and waiting for his little brother to show up.

Nick is that little blonde boy your brother?, Casey asked, causing Nick to follow her gaze to a blonde haired boy, who had all of his long hair cut short. That would be him Nick clarified. He and Casey stood up, and began walking up to Aaron, but Aaron was quicker and when he spotted the couple, he immediately ran up to them and hugged Nick, with every force of his body.

Hey lil bro, nick said, excepting his hug and huggin the kid back.
Hey Nick, what’s up, he asked finally unwrapping his arms from the older mans waist.
Nothing much, this here, he said pinting to Casey, is my girlfriend, Nick said some what hesitantly, eyeing Casey for approval as to pronouce her as that. She nodded her head slightly, and shook the boys hand. Hi, she said.
Aaron smiled lightly, and dropped her hand. So, do you have any siblings? He asked.
Well I have a little brother, she answered casually, quiet fascinated as to why he asked such a question, before anything else.
Oh, he said looking down, but then up again, quickly. But no little sisters, he asked hopefully.
No she said, blushing slightly, finally catching on to what he had meant, by the question.
Aaron just smiled, Aww Man, he declared.
Nick looked down at his lil bro and smiled, alright well I think we can head on out to the car now he said, and so the trio took off in search of Nicks car.


Chapter 15

Casey, do you want me to drop you off at your house, or you just wanna come over and hang out with me and Aaron?, Nick asked.
Well ill come over for awhile if your sure you don’t mind, I mean your brother did just get in, she answered.
Nah, its all good, you can play basketball with me and Nicky, Aaron contributed.
Nick blushed. don’t call me that Air.
Aaron and Casey giggled. Me and you against Nick, huh? Casey asked.
Aaron nodded his head eagerly. Yea, we’ll kick his as- er butt, he said.
Nick rubbed the palm of his hand against his forehead, watch your mouth AC.
Sorry, the boy said, sounding not the least bit sorry at all.
Once again Casey couldn’t help but giggle at the two, obvious brothers.

Casey was glad she had worn her Nike’s instead of stilettos or something.

Nick stood in front of her and Aaron off to the side. Alright, you and Airhead against me, Nick declared once again, what had already been stated. That’s right she said. Alright, lets play Aaron shouted.

And the game begun. Casey was kicking Nicks tail, and she beat both boys when they had all played against each other.

Casey came over and sat next to Nick and Aaron, who were both drinking bottles of water, a big grin on her face.

Man, where did you learn to play like that? Aaron suddenly asked.

I was on the girls basket ball team all through middle school and on the girls varsity basket ball team all through high school, she exclaimed, but ultimately I learned to play from my older cousin. He would always come over to my house and play ,and eventually he taught me how to play too she explained taking a seat next to the stunned brothers.

Nick pulled her by her hand, down onto his lap, and hoping she wouldn’t mind that he was doing this in font of his brother, he kissed her. To his surprise her hands came up around his neck and she kissed him back.

Aaron cleared his throat, umm, gross he said! Get a room he said, standing up and walking inside the house.

However Nick hadn’t expected Aaron to say such a thing and was shocked, but Casey continued kissing him, pulling him back to reality. When their lips finally parted, he apologized. I’m so sorry about that, I didn’t think he’d say something like that.
She just smiled, like I said I have a little brother, nothing he can do that I’m not use to she said. Now go take a shower your smelly she said wrinkling her nose.
He kissed her nose softly, but at her request, got up and went inside to shower.


Chapter 16

Casey had gone home pretty late the night before, but to her it had been well worth it. They had played video games and watched a movie, that Aaron only made it half way through before falling asleep.

Her last class of the day had just ended, and she pulled out her cell phone to give Nick a call, and see what he was up to.

Nick picked up his phone right before the caller hung up. Hello, he asked.
Hey, Nick…It’s Casey. Ya, busy?
Oh, no not really just shooting hoops with Aaron, I just came home form my photo shoot the not too long ago and I promised Aaron I’d play.
Oh, I see, she said.
You wanna come over, me and Airhead are gonna go catch a movie somewhere, you can tag along if you’d like.
Oh, well, that’s ok ,you need some time alone with him ,I’m here always. Besides I have some work I need to do, I just thought I’d call and see how you were, she said.
Oh ,well ok then, give me a call later? He asked more than stated.
Yea, ill call you tomorrow morning, I don’t have any classes tomorrow, thankfully.
Ok, well talk to ya then.
Alrighty, bye Nick.
Bye Case.

Nick tossed his phone on the table and walked back outside, where Aaron was trying to do a lay-up. Hey Air, ready to play?
Yep he answered, tossing the ball at Nick, lets play.


Two hours later

The boys walked inside dripping sweat, Aaron ran up stairs to take a shower, and Nick picked up his cell phone checking for missed calls. He had 2.

The 1st message: Hey Nicky, it’s your mother. Tell Aaron to give me a call later and let me know how he’s doing. Anyway how are you doing? Thanksgiving’s coming up in a few months… I want you to be there if you can, BJ’s spending it with your dad and her family, but I wanted the rest of ya’l l to come up here with me and our family. Give me a call. Love you both.

Nick deleted it, Aaron could call her, but he probably wouldn’t even give it a second thought. Dads family was his family too, but oh well he wasn’t doing anything for thanksgiving, especially going to L.A to see her and the rest of his family. He clicked on the second one and listened.

The 2nd message: Hey Nick, it’s Leslie, how’s it going? Mom wants us all to eat thanksgiving with her, but I don’t want to! She makes a big deal out of everything! And all she does is bad mouth dad, and dad does the same thing! They drive me crazy, I wish I could come out there with you but mom says I cant! I miss you Nick! Talk her into it, call me.

Nick deleted that message as well, he knew there was practically nothing he could do about the situation ,still he felt bad for his siblings.

Once again he tossed his cell phone onto the counter, and headed to go take a shower, hearing the water stop in the bathroom Aaron was in.


Chapter 17

Casey rang the door bell twice, and started to walk away when the door opened.

Hey, Nick said, happy to see Casey here. How’s it goin? , he asked opening the door wider so she could step in.
Pretty good, she answered. Just thought I’d come by for a few seconds, I have to be at a dentist appointment in about 30 minuets but the office is only 10 minuets away from here, so lucky for you, you get a visitor!
Nick chuckled, you call that lucky? He asked.
She hit him lightly in the arm, Shut up, she demanded.
Suddenly Casey stopped talking, she had heard music when she first walked in, but the sound grew as she walked in from Nicks foyer to his living room. Is that Aaron? She asked a little in disbelieve. She wasn’t all that big a fan of Aaron, more BSB than anything, and all though she had heard him sing before, she’d never heard him quiet like this, and he sounded awesome. She was becoming to like his music more and more each day, that was for sure.
Yep that’s him, Nick said. I guess singing run’s in the family he stated, shrugging nonchalantly.
She eyed him in disbelieve, and then it dawned on her, music was his life, this was nothing new to him, he could easily sit here and say half his family could sing like pro’s and listen to his little brother, just upstairs, singing away, so gently and soothing ,in his child like ways, that he could put a crying baby to sleep.
Well why exactly is he singing, if he’s on break? She wondered aloud.
Nick shrugged, mom insist that he practice, so he’s singing to her over the phone right now.
She couldn’t help but giggle, are you serious? I never envisioned your mom being that strict, she said.
Once again Nick shrugged, this time plopping down on the sofa, well there’s a lot of things you could never guess right off about my mother.
Casey sat down beside him, wanna change the subject she asked.
Sure he said, suddenly standing up. Wanna have Aaron sing for you personally, he asked smiling.
She giggled some, how bout we just go up there and see what he’s up to.
Nick and Casey charged up the stairs, and fumbled into The guest room Aaron was staying in.

Hey Nick, I just hung up with mom. She’s so paranoid lately, he stated. Hey Case, what’s up?
Nothing much.

Sing something for her little dude, Nick said. She wants to hear ya.
Aaron smiled, sure why not? Ya’ll sit down on the bed he said.
They sat on the edge of the bed, and Aaron started singing one of his older songs, “Crush on you”.
When he stopped singing, she clapped several times and got up and hugged him. You sing so good, you have the sweetest voice she said.
Aaron blushed a little, thanks.
Well thank you for serenading me she giggled, but I’ve gotta go to my dentist appointment, cant be late she said.

Nick and Aaron both walked her out to her car, Nick kissed her once and told her she could stop by on the way home from her appointment if she wanted to. Closing the door, Casey pulled off, blowing the boys a kiss.

Chapter 18


Nick pulled into a open parking place, and headed into the recording studio.
Hey guys!

Hey Nick, what’s up?
Nothin much D.
So whats this little meeting all about, Nick asked looking at the group.

Well we all decided we wanted to have our concert before thanksgiving, you know, so we’ll have a little break afterwards with our families, Kevin Stated.

Nick nodded. Alright, he said slowly, while taking a seat.
I know how you really wanted to do this whole “Mini Concert” Deal, but I don’t know Nick when we really started thinking about it, The timing isn’t so great…You know with thanksgiving and all, can you understand that? Howie asked, speaking to me like his words might break me in two, if he wasn’t careful.

I nodded, and sighed at the same time. Yea I guess so, They hadn’t really discussed any other songs to sing anyway, Nick had been looking forward to the small concert but he understood where Kevin was coming from as well and reluctantly agreed.

AJ sighed, alright guys that’s settled.

Kevin shook his head, nothings settled yet. Look I was thinking we could do the concert in 2 months. I know it sounds ludicrous, but AJ your mom wants you to visit as soon as you can, and I need to make flying arrangements to see my parents and Nick and D I know ya’ll have plans, so this could work out real well , I mean we know the song, and thanksgiving’s in 3 months, so that plenty of time.
That will work everyone agreed, getting up and each heading to separate cars afterwards.



Nick shook his head slightly, as he sat in his car, alone. I wonder where Brian’s at, he asked no one in particular, while starting the car.

Hey buddy, you rang? Brian was there in an instant.

Nick did a double take at the man sitting beside him, as he pulled into his drive way, living so close to the studio did occasionally turn out to be an advantage.

Nick stalked into his house, not bothering to say even two words to Brian.

Yo, Nicky wait up, Brian was quick in tow.
Shut up!… and Don’t call me that, Nick hollered back.
Whoa, wait a second, what’s wrong with you? Brian asked.

Nick turned around, stopping Brian in his tracks, although not technically, Brian had many abilities now, he could walk right through Nick if he wanted to.

You left…and you said you wouldn’t, Nick shouted.
Brian shook his head slightly. No I’m right here, I only left you for 2 weeks Nick.

But you still left! Nick insisted.
Nick calm down just a second, I’m here when you really need me, or when I can be but I had some other things to do and I knew you did too, so I left a note and went away for awhile. By the way where’s Aaron?
What? Nick asked, oh yea, shit! He’s at Casey’s, I guess I better give her a call and let her know she can bring him back if she wants to. But nobody cares about that right now, look Brian all I’m saying is I did need you and you weren’t here!

Brian smiled, Nicky you wanted me to be here, you didn’t really need me, there’s a difference!

Nick sighed, so your saying if I just want you to hang out with you for no particular reason, you cant be here?

Brian smiled, of course buddy when you need me to be here you know I will be, and if we just wanna hang out some time, if neither of us are busy, that works out well too.

Nick smiled finally, alright, sorry I yelled at you, but I don’t know I wanted to tell you something- Nick cut his self short, Brian probably already knew, he thought frowning.
What were you gonna say Nick?

You probably already know Nick clarified, out loud.
Nope! I most certainly do not, I gave you the privacy you always fought me for when you were little, Brian announced.

Nick chuckled, ok well then I got something I really wanna tell you.

Brian too chuckled, alright but I have a feeling Casey’s aching to get rid of you little brother!

Oh shit… I mean crap, Nick corrected himself. Well you gonna come with me, Nick questioned Brian, as he headed out the door.

Brian followed after the blonde, hopping in the car and put a CD in as Nick took off.


Chapter 19


One month later:

Casey and Nick were still happily together, as it should be and of course Aaron had gone home long ago.

Nick pulled into the parking lot of the county Fair. Casey stepped out, the excitement of a 2 year old receiving candy showed brightly on her face. Nick walked beside her and grabbed her hand, and together they walked to the booths to pay for their tickets.

Nick and Casey ran hand in hand to the first ride they spotted that looked entertaining, “The Tilt-A-Whirl”. They stepped into the ride, Casey giggled some as the ride sent her crashing into Nick as it twirled.

Nick got out first, offering Casey his hand. Come on lets go ride “The Ring of Fire” he said, and together they took off.

To be honest Casey wasn’t much of a roller coaster fan, but she was determined not to disappoint Nick. As she stood in line she couldn’t help but fidget some. Nick gave her and odd look, you ok he asked? Huh?, yea she answered, sounding quiet unsure of herself. Nick nodded, ok, he said about on the same key.

How many the attendant for the ride asked. Two Nick answered looking over at Casey to make sure she still wanted to ride.

Casey held tightly onto Nick as the roller coaster started and took them round and round in a circle, at the speed of lightning, it felt. When they finally exited the ride, they took off to go find another ride, and so the night went on.

Finally the night came to an end ,as they once again stood at Casey’s door.

I had fun Casey stated, leaning in and giving Nick a kiss, thank you.
No problem, I’m glad you had fun, so did I!, Nick replied.
Well, you wanna come in, Casey offered.
Sure, why not!

How about we watch a movie, Casey asked.
Sure, what ever you wanna do is fine with me, Nick answered.

Casey picked up a movie case from the shelf and read the title, “The sixth sense”. Wanna watch this, Casey asked, holding the movie out so he could read the title as well.
Sure! I love scary stuff he said.

Nick lay down on the sofa, and taking Casey’s hand, pulled her down on top of him. Casey got situated between his legs, and layed her head on his chest, and suddenly, the previews ended and the movie started. When the movie was over, the two were sound asleep.


Chapter 20

AJ pulled into Kevin’s driveway and Let Nick out, who ran up to his door step through the light sprinkling of rain.

Kevin opened the door at Nicks insistent ringing of the door bell. What? He asked.

Nick smiled, what’s up?
Kevin shook his head, but opened the door so Nick could step in from the rain.
Hey Kris, he called out, when he saw her in the kitchen
Hey Nick, she hollered back.

Do you have a certain reason for coming over, Kevin asked.
Once again Nick smiled, yep! The concerts a month away, so me, you and the guys are gonna go clubbing, before the depression sinks in.
No, No ,No! Kevin said shaking his head, if ya’ll wanna go get wasted be my guest but I’m staying right here with Kristen he stated matter-of-factly.

You should go Kev, Kristen chimed in from the kitchen, I’ll be just fine right here she said, coming into the living room.
Nick chuckled, see he said, go get your jacket and I’ll go to Jay’s car and wait with him for you he said running out the door.
He can wait all freaking day if he wants to, But I’ll be damned if I’m goin, I see no need to go get wasted, Kevin said.
So don’t get drunk Kristen argued, while handing him his jacket.
Fine Kevin said, but your coming with me he said, smiling now.
Kristen rolled her eyes, she knew he needed a break from the house, where he’d do nothing but think and be depressed, and if her going meant he’d go as well ,then she’d walk there if she had to.


Nick was well over drunk, Kevin was getting there, and Kristin and AJ were strictly drinking soda. Kristin was the DD for her and Kev and AJ of course no longer drank.


Casey walked into the club, and headed straight to the dance floor, she loved to dance.

Casey was dancing away with her best friend Lauren, until Lauren insisted she go get the two of them a drink.

Casey was walking to the bar when she spotted ,Kevin, AJ, and Kristin.
Hey she said when she walked over to them.
AJ smiled, hey darling, you want an autograph?
Casey laughed, not so sure Nick would like what he said.
AJ looked currently confused, so you a Nick fan huh? He’s dancing right now, but umm ill tell him his number one fan says she loves him he said.
Kristin shook her head., but smiled at her anyway.
Kevin laughed uncontrollably, she doesn’t like you AJ, he said pointing at him and continuing to laugh.
Real funny Train, now shut up!
So what’s your name, AJ asked the girl. Casey she answered. Well I guess you’ve never seen backstreet quiet like this, he asked, smirking some.
Casey giggled, no she said. She spotted Nick on the dance floor, dancing like an idiot, and couldn’t help but laugh some more.
Where’s Howie? She asked suddenly.
AJ glanced at her a little funny, look its been real nice meeting you, but your gonna have to go or ill be forced to call security he said, then realizing he sounded like Kevin, shook his head.
Well we haven’t had the chance to meet yet, but I’m Nicks girlfriend, which he clearly hasn’t told ya’ll about yet, she tried to explain.
Right, sure, Kristin muttered, a little too audibly.
Casey rolled her eyes, sorry to have disturbed ya’ll, she said turning to leave and bring Lauren her drink.
Nick spotted her at their table finally and ran over to her before she could leave. He wrapped his arms around her gave her a sloppy kiss.
Casey pulled back and wiped her mouth, Hey Nick it was nice meeting your friends, but I gotta bring Lauren her drink, she probably thinks I got lost she giggled.
Alright, well I’ll go with you he said.
That’s probably not the greatest idea, she protested.
Yea AJ agreed getting up from his spot and pushing Nick into a chair, when the unexpected happened, Nick missed the chair and fell onto the floor, causing Kevin and tons of other drunk people to crack up, even Nick.
Sorry we were so harsh on ya AJ said, and Kristin too apologized.
No problem Casey said, She was giggling at Nick, he was quiet funny when he was drunk.
AJ smiled well I guess you better get back to your friends huh?
Yea she said.
Alright, see y around he said.
Bye she through quickly over her shoulder as she went in search of Lauren.

Here’s your drink Lauren, sorry it took so long, I’ve never seen a bar so crowded in my life, she lied.
Lauren nodded, yea this ones pretty popular, she agreed then took a long drink of her beer.

Laurens boyfriend, Tim, came over to their table, Hey he said.
Hey Casey said and Lauren got up and hugged him.
You wanna dance he asked Lauren.
Sure she said, hey Casey is that cool with you she asked, standing up.
Sure, but hey you know what?, Jenna and some of her friends are over by the bar, and I take it you’ll be going home with Tim so I’m gonna go dance with one of Jenna’s friends, Brad I think his name is, so go have fun and ill see you in class, alright?
Ok sure, thanks for bringing me Lauren said.
No problem see ya later, she said hugging her good-bye.


Casey walked back over to Nicks table. Hey guys she said.
Hey they all answered. Umm, were leaving and I hate to ask you, but do you think you could take Nick home, AJ has to be somewhere in about 30 minuets so he cant, I need to get Kevin home, Kristin explained.
Casey nodded but couldn’t resist asking, how did Nick get here?
He and AJ rode together in Jay‘s car, and Me and Kevin took my car she answered.
Alright well let me go pull Nick from the dance floor and ill see ya’ll later.
Alright, thanks, Kristin added.


Nick, Casey called lightly, tugging on his shirt sleeve to pull him from the dance floor. Yea? He asked as he spun around to face her.
Come on I’m gonna take you home ,she ordered, still pulling him out of the club, but this time by his arm.
I don’t wanna leave yet, he whined, his words slurring.
Casey ignored him, and pulled him still, until they were finally to her car where she walked around to the passengers side and opened the door for Nick, who plopped down in the seat.
She started the car and watched as Nick fumbled around with his seat belt, until she finally reached across and buckled it for him.


Nick stumbled out of the car, starting to walk some and nearly tripping over thin air. Casey rushed over to him shaking her head, glad she wasn’t drunk, as well. She made it to the door with Nick when she realized she had no way of entering. Nick she asked, I need your house key, do you have it with you.
Nick cocked his head to the side and placed his finger on his chin, in a thinking position. I don’t know he answered, smiling down at her.
She sighed reaching into his pocket, digging around for his keys, until Nick jerked away and turning around to face the grass threw up everywhere.
Nick finally turned around again to face her.
Casey once again reached into his right side pocket, finding no keys she reached over to the left one and pulled out a set of keys.


She pulled off Nicks shoes, and pants and shirt which had throw up on them and walked them to his washer and dryer room. Nick was passed out on the bed when Casey returned.

Casey looked through all his cabinets until she came across some aspirins, and grabbing two and the glass of water set them on Nicks night stand, for when he woke up. She kissed Nicks cheek and quietly left his house locking the door behind her.


Chapter 21


Nick woke up with a killer hang over and a head ache from hell. It was almost 1:30 P.M. according to the clock. Shit he muttered, rubbing his hands across his head. Last night was a blur. Nick sat up, ready to go get some type pain killer for his head ache, when he saw the glass of water and aspirins on his bedside table. He smiled, not sure who had put them here, hell he didn’t even know how’d he’d gotten home last night. He swallowed both of them and drank the whole glass of water and headed straight to the shower, not really feeling hungry.


Casey answered her phone on the second ring, Hello? she asked.
Hey Nick said, sounding sorta drowsy.
Hey, she said yet again. So how do you feel this morning she asked.
Like shit, I think I may have had one too many beers last night he chuckled.
She giggled, you could say that, she agreed. Getting you home wasn’t exactly easy either, she added.
Nick frowned some on the other line, so you’re the one who took me home last night?
That would be me she said.
Sorry, honestly I don’t remember much he replied.
No worries, I figured you wouldn’t.
Well thanks anyway, for taking me home.
No problem Nick, she said softly.
Well, umm, I’m gonna run over to Kevin’s and see what’s going on over there, you know and visit for awhile, so I was wondering if you wanted to go over there with me and meet the guys and stuff.
Umm, Nick I sorta did that last night, she said.
Well, I mean really introduce you the right way he corrected.
Umm sure, but I have classes in a few hours so I cant really be gone too long she said.
Well we’ll only be over there for about 45 minuets and then I’ll drop you off at the university, Nick said.
Alright, well ill see ya soon then. Talk later, she said.
Later, Nick answered back ,hanging up.

Suddenly Nick heard laughter, and he jumped slightly, turning around.
Nick, you are one funny drunk Brian said, erupting even more so into laughter.
Yea, yea! Nick said, blowing Brian’s words off.

Brian suddenly turned serious, so I have one question for you Nick.
What Nick asked, confused.
Do you love her? Brian asked quietly.
Love who?, Nick asked, knowing perfectly well who Brian was talking about.
Don’t play dumb with me Nick, cause you know that only works with the fans, Brian said.
Fine...to be honest Brian, I don’t know, he answered, heading out the door.

Brian once again fluttered back to heaven, knowing that Nick had feelings he had to resolve on his own.


Hey Kev, Nick hollered, barging in the mans house.
Thanks for knocking Nick, Kevin said coming out of the living room, with D and J rubbing his head.
No problem he said, ignoring Kevin’s sarcasm.
You got a headache?, Kevin asked suddenly.
Yea, a little, but I took some aspirins this morning he said. But hold on I have some one to introduce you to, she’s in the car, be right back he said.


Casey timidly walked in, a little afraid to meet the guys, when they were all sober. Hey she said, as she walked in behind Nick.

Hey they all answered back.
So your Nicky’s girl? Kevin asked.
Yea she answered, looking up at Nick, smiling.
Nick interrupted, well I didn’t really introduce ya’ll, this is D, he said pointing to a short man with curlyish hair, who shook her hand. And this is J and Kev he said pointing at each man, one being short and tattoo covered and one very tall with dark hair, each of them shaking her hand as well. And guys this is my girlfriend, Casey, he said.
AJ smiled at her, sorry about yesterday, Nick hadn’t told you about us until now. Well he told us once about a Casey, but only once and I guess it kinda slipped my mind, he said.
No problem she said, I understand, there are some crazy fans out there, Casey said.
Kevin smiled at her, I know I must have made a fool of myself yesterday, I was drunk off my ass he said.
She smiled, well actually it was quiet comical she said giggling slightly.
I like her AJ said, she has no problem laughing at Kevin he said.
Nick chuckled, yea I like her too, he agreed.


Chapter 22


The day of the concert…


The guys were in the back, warming up when their manager walked in, your on in ten he said. Each guy nodded.

The guys all walked out at the same time, Kevin beside Nick and AJ and Howie behind them, side by side as well.

There were stools in front of each Mic, and as the rest of the guys got settled, Kevin began talking. Well the song we decided to sing today is one of our own, called “moving on”, which I’m sure most of you have heard. The song doesn’t really say anything about Brian, but it states the simple, that all of us have or are gradually moving on past his death, Kevin said, chocking up a little. Nick took over at this point. What Kevin’s trying to say is, Brian will never be forgotten, but we cant dwell on the things that cant be changed, and some things, like his death we just have no control over.

And with that, the music cued up and Howie started out. At Nicks part he slowly and shakily started out, when he recognized a familiar face in the crowd. Brian stood in the front row, smiling at him, and suddenly Nick had courage and strength to go on, but that didn’t stop the tears that flowed down his face freely, along with the rest of the guys.

Only one life to live in
We're trying our best to make it through
There're no mistakes just lessons
It's all about what they mean to you

No matter what you've gone through you can
Pick up the pieces move on with your life
We had to accept the wrong and try to make them right
It may be hard to look at yourself and see the truth
You've got to realize it takes time to become you

Chorus:
So just get to Movin' On
We're movin' on
We're movin' on
Living day by day by day everything must change
But in a way everything stays the same
Movin on

Take what you've been given
Gotta take a chance while we can
To find our place in our world
We had to understand the plan

Put the past behind you and
Pick up the pieces move on with your life
'Cause we had to accept the wrongs and try to make them right
You can look at yourself and see the truth
Realize it takes time to become you

(Repeat chorus)

We know we've changed
But we're still the same
Getting closer to what we're supposed to be
As life goes on you'll have your time
'Cause everything's meant to be
Movin' on

(Chorus fade)


The song ended, and each guy said there thank yous to there fans, for all of there support over the years, and somewhat sadly, exited the stage.

Each of the guys hugged, not sure where there lives would go, individually, now that all of this was said and done with. But one thing was for sure, they were brothers no matter what, and they’d be there for each other till the very end.

I’ll see you guys later Nick said, as he headed out to his car.

Hey Case, can you meet me down at the beach, Nick asked Casey over the phone.
Umm, sure She said, ill see you in about 20 minuets.
Alright bye, Nick said.
Bye.


At the Beach…


Casey stepped out of the car and saw that Nick had been crying, she knew this day would be rough for him.
He hugged her hard, and then releasing her, gave her a quick kiss.
Nick I’m so sorry I couldn’t be there for you today, I wish I could have came, but this semesters almost over and I had my mid-terms, yet again, Casey explained once again.
Nick nodded, it’s ok, I know he said. And Taking her hand he pulled her out into the white sandy beach.
Casey smiled up at him, you gonna be ok?, she asked.
Yea he said softly, cause I’ve got you.
She smiled as they sat down in the sand, her in between His legs, laying her head against his chest, and together they watched the sun begin to set. Nick?
Yea? he asked.
Do you believe in love at first sight? She asked.
I didn’t… until I met you!
She turned around and kissed him, I Love you too Nick.

*Song credited to www.sing365.com/ Lyrics, and the Backstreet boys.