- Text Size +
~ Band of Brothers ~


It was nice having all my brothers here. Brothers, I sometimes felt weird using that in context talking about my band. It seemed so cliche. I mean we were a boyband. Each fitting into a stereotype, of course calling ourselves brothers seemed to be just a part of that facade. Many people often speculated if we even liked each other. At one point I even had to wonder, but in all honesty, these guys were my brothers. See, when I think of brother, to me it means someone who will stick by you through it all. All the great things that happen in your life as well as all the crap.

I have to admit I had some moments in our time together, when I would sit back and see them come together for each other but not for me, but now after all that has happened, I see a clearer picture. No matter what press, critics or rabid fans say, these guys ARE my blood. I would do anything for them. So when the second body in one week, showed up on the beach right outside of my house, My thoughts went directly to getting them the hell out of here. Getting them the hell away from me.

Kevin was the one that came running in from my back yard. The look he had on his face made us all stop our silly conversation and look his way.

"What's wrong?" Howie asked, with just a hint of alarm in his voice as he looked my way.

"There are police on the beach again. It looks like they closed off a section and are hanging up that yellow tape stuff"

We all moved outside to see for ourselves. You know just incase he was lying.

I shuddered as I saw police loading a bodybag into a van. "It's happening again" I said in a whisper. More to the water than to my friends.

"Come on, let's go back inside" AJ said putting a friendly arm on my back and guiding me back into my house. I saw Brian and Kevin pause and give each other a look, they thought it was happening again too.

"I wouldn't worry about it Nicky, it's just a macabre coincidence"

"Do you really think that is a coincidence Howie?"

"Yes..but still maybe we should call security again" I nodded even though I was only half listening to what Howie was saying. Dead. Why did it seem like death was following me?

Brian seeing my contemplative look, came over to me "You are safe. We have the best of the best around us Nick. Nothing is going to happen"

Howie got off the phone with Dave, our head of security and gave me a wink. "He is coming right over"

"Excellent" AJ added. I looked up into one of my many security cameras just to make sure it was on and working. Seeing the red light I relaxed.

When Kevin insisted I invest all this money on a high tech security system, I looked at him like he was nuts. That would just be letting the bad guys win! I had protested. Now I was grateful for his nagging. The phone ringing made me wince for some reason.

"Nick" I looked over to Howie, he looked somber.

"Yeah?"

"That was the D.A, he wants to come over and go through your testimony at some point today.

"What did you tell him?"

"I told him to call back later, but there's one other thing"

"What?"

"He said that Trish has requested a visit from you" I looked over at Howie in shock.

"What did you say?" He came over and sat right next to me, all my brother's watching our every move, "Trish's attorney said that she really wants to speak to you"

"Is she allowed to?"

"The District Attorney said not really, but they can get around it legally"

"I don't want to see her" I said looking down at the floor.

"I know that, I told the D.A that and he is going to give the message to Trish's lawyer, don't worry Nicky. You won't have to see her ever again"

"She'll be staring at me in court"

"Besides that. It's almost over"

It's almost over...Now there was another phrase I was growing tired of, besides the don't worry your safe line. It's almost over is said in this house at least a thousand times a day. Every time it's uttered I want to grab the person who says it by the collar and just let go of all my anger on them. It's almost over..sure it is. I have been hearing it's almost over since I got back home.

While I was busy having an internal tirade, Dave and his team walked into my house. "Hi guys, we triple checked all the motion sensors outside and they are working. The alarms are all set and the camera's are on. Everything will be fine. Basically you would have to be an invisible man to get in here" He laughed but none of us found it funny.

"Someone was just found dead on the beach" Kevin said trying to make the man aware of everyone's mood.

"Oh my God. Again?"

"Yes, so we just want to make sure that everything is extra secure"

"I can assure you it is, plus you have those two guards out front. You are safe"

"And let me guess. It's almost over right?" I said sounding more sarcastic than I would have liked. Dave looked surprised by my immature reaction. I decided to leave the room and run upstairs. I just wanted to lock everyone out. I went over to my window again and watched as crime scene investigators were scouring the beach. Looking for clues. I knew they wouldn't find any. He is always careful about things like that.

"Can I come in?" I looked over to find Brian peering in my door.

"Yeah I guess" He came over and took a seat next to me, "Nick.."

"Bri, whatever you do don't tell me I'm safe" That pretty much shut him up.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Anything at all Nick"

"If I wasn't...you know.."

"Kidnapped?" I still had trouble saying it for some reason. It just made me feel like a victim. It made me feel small.

"Yeah, if that didn't happen...do you think we would all be as close as we are now?" His silence let me know he was thinking about his answer. I already knew what it was though.

"No, I don't think so. We were all starting to go in different directions. I think we would have ended up splitting if you want my honest opinion"

"What about friendship wise?" Now I decided to face him.

"I don't know Nick, why are you bringing it all up?"

"Not sure"

"I know that whatever WOULD have happened went away when our lives were changed. Now things are the way they are for a reason"

"Okay"

Brian seeing my sullen mood, decided to change the subject, that was another thing that happened frequently in my house. The changing of subject. Brian was the king of that one. "Are you up for some basketball? I haven't beaten you in a while" I smiled.

"Sure" I stood up and followed Brian out of the room. Double checking my security camera right over my bed. Red light on meant no worries.

In the middle of our game of basketball we were interrupted by police. We went in and braced ourselves for the news. At the kitchen table were Dave, three security guys plus two officers. All looking like they had bad news. Kevin, Howie and AJ were also in the room standing around the table.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Mr. Carter, please take a seat" Now that's usually not a good sign.

"I'll stand thank you, what can I do for you?"

"We have reason to believe that you may be in danger" My heart stopped. I felt it stop. It felt like a mini heart attack. Kevin rushed over to me, maybe I looked like I was going to pass out. "Why?" I asked once Kevin had a grip on me. I decided to sit afterall.

"There was a man found dead on the beach"

"Yes I know"

"And we now have reason to believe that he is tied with the boy we found earlier this week"

"Why do you think that?"

"I can't tell you that but We are beefing up your security" I closed my eyes, hoping this bad dream would go away.

"Why do you think he is in danger?" Kevin asked.

"That is confidential I'm afraid but based on evidence found on the victim, we have reason to believe Nick is in danger"

"You know that's bullshit!" AJ said out of frustration, "How the hell can you come out here and scare the kid like that with NO explanation?" He said I was scared but I could clearly tell it was him. He was terrified.

"I am sorry but I have to be vague"

"Vague my ass!"

"AJ!" Kevin scolded.

"Don't worry Mr. Carter, you are in good hands. You will be safe" I laughed.

After the police left, and security filed out, I was quiet. I guess too quiet for the guys. They were all staring at me, it made me uncomfortable. "Are you okay?" Howie asked. I nodded.

"What can we do for you?" Kevin asked.

"Nothing"

"Come on there has to be something"

"You can give me some breathing room maybe?" I did it again, I exploded.

"Christ, I'm sorry"

"I am just tired of you guys following me around and telling me everything will be fine. It's not so don't say that it will" They looked at one another. More uncomfortable silence. I was just waiting for Brian to change the subject...and viola `

"Well, I am about starved, how about you guys?" I let out a sigh as did everyone else. Grateful that we could now talk about food and forget all that had happened. Simple as that.

I love these guys. I smiled and looking up at the security cameras I tried to feel safe. Someone was watching us. We had police in the front yard, security walking around and someone monitering the cameras. Safe...