- Text Size +
Chapter 6


“You did what?!”

Glancing up from the four place settings in the rented condo’s dining room, Josephina was amused when Nick actually screeched in disbelief at her statement. Layla had been frightened by the sound, racing out into the backyard where Howie was preparing the meat on the grill. He was acting as if she had mutated into some horrifying beast when she had just simply answered his question. Four dinner settings for two guests that evening; himself and another. Of course, he had pressed her for the name of the other guest and when she revealed it, chaos had broken free. He assumed that all Hell was breaking loose and fire would soon rain upon the Earth to destroy him. His words. Seemed quite appropriate that it was his nickname, especially now. “I told you, I called Miss Doherty and invited her to join us for dinner. She should be arriving shortly.”

“Arriving shortly—You called—But you—Curse you to the depths of the most vile outhouse for your photographic memory!” Nick cursed in shock, immediately recalling how briefly she had glanced at his cell phone. It had never taken Josephina long to memorize pieces of information that she wanted, especially numbers. She could recall every size of clothing he needed for Christmas within a mere moment. Groaning with the realization that Roxanne would be appearing soon and he looked like he had straggled in from the dirtiest of streets, he rushed for the bedroom he had taken over and knocked Howie out of his way.

“What was that about?” Howie whistled, easily balancing the bowl of freshly made garden salad and pasta salad despite the hit. He had learned very quickly how to maintain good balance, especially during the bustle of family gatherings. Being the youngest son of the Dorough family with decades of time between him and his eldest siblings, he found himself at ease with having children underfoot, particularly Nick.

“We’re having a guest,” Josephina answered simply, taking the bowl of salad from her love’s hands and giving him a soft kiss of thanks in return. She smiled at the way he nodded, so complacent with her decisions as long as he was receiving affection. She had always admired the sweet simplicity and easygoingness of his nature, because she was undoubtedly a polar opposite.

“What kind of guest would get him all flustered—” Howie’s question halted in mid-thought when his dark cocoa eyes widened in realization. Sinking into a nearby chair, he groaned outwardly, knowing Josephina far too well. “Jos, tell me you aren’t trying to fix the boy up again. Because you know how ugly that fight he had with Melanie was after the first time—”

“Yes, and I also know now how he got that third degree burn on his arm the next day,” Josephina muttered with disgust, playing with the flowered centerpiece to assure its perfection. Nick had been so endearing when he spoke of Roxanne. From the time he had met her in the Emergency Room to sharing her blanket on the beach. She had undoubtedly captured his heart in the few moments of their initial meeting, though Nick couldn’t admit that. He was far too frightened of the consequences. So, Josephina wanted to assure that this night would speak the words that Nick feared to even whisper. “Dear, sweet Howard, I may have set the date up, but I did not select the girl. Roxanne is the nurse that took care of him in the hospital. He wanted to repay her—”

“But he has Melanie—”

“The Hell he does!”

“Jos—”

“Let’s get something straight about that wretch of a whore who stumbled into his life for a cheap pair of stiletto heels and a namesake. Nick does not have Melanie, but she most certainly has a hold on him. And if she sticks her claws into his flesh one more time and leaves yet another scar, I swear to God that she’s going to be spitting out expensive acrylic nails for years after I tear them all off and shove them in her ass—”

Jos!”

Tightening the muscles of her jaw as she erected into an overbearing stance, Josephina swallowed the hard lump in her throat that was most certainly filled with a string of expletives. Attempting to control herself, she murmured her confession quietly, “She hurts Nicky.”

“…What?”

Opening her mouth with every intention of explaining, she found herself interrupted by the twinkling melody of the doorbell. Mustering some kind of smile toward Howie, she squeezed his upper arm and suggested that he get the meat from the grill. When he agreed, she slipped out of the dining room and hurried to the front door, wanting to have the first look at their guest. And, even though Nick shrieked for no one to open the door, she did so anyway with a welcoming smile.

“…Josephina?”

“That’d be me,” Josephina confirmed, waving for Roxanne to follow her inside the condo. Shutting the door behind her as Layla came rushing in from the porch, eagerly greeting the familiar woman, Josephina took a cursory glance at her appearance. Her long strawberry blonde locks were tied into a tight French braid, though some loose strands fell to frame her pretty face. She was dressed in a pair of faded jean shorts and a simple gray racer-back tank top. Simply put, Roxanne was a naturally beautiful woman who seemed to have a gentle confidence about herself that could never be confused with arrogance. She held no qualms about stooping onto the floor to become involved with Layla, accepting the furious licks of welcome to her face, which caused a charming laugh. “You are absolutely adorable, Roxanne.”

“…What?” Roxanne laughed with a small air of discomfort, looking about the condo for any source of Nick.

“I can see why Nick—”

“Jo! I told you not to answer the door!” Nick squealed in shock, running halfway down the steps till he realized that Roxanne was already inside. Lurching, he almost tumbled, but held tight to the railing to keep himself from worse injury. Immediately, Layla rolled from her back and raised her ears as if expecting a humiliating crash. Nick flushed crimson that his mutt was so keen on his blunders, causing him to raise his chin high in attempts to put on airs, though he tripped on the last step and fell to his knees in front of Roxanne.

“No need to thank the Lord that I’m here, Nick,” Roxanne teased good naturedly, stooping down so she could grasp his hand and upper arm, helping him to his feet. “How are you?”

“Embarrassed,” Nick muttered, avoiding all means of eye contact with Roxanne as he stumbled to his feet. It was so characteristic of him to fuck up when a beautiful woman was around.

“As embarrassed as a man who jerked off into a cup meant for a urine sample?” Roxanne inquired as means to give Nick perspective.

“Do what?” Nick sputtered in disbelief.

“And that’s just on a good day at the ER,” Roxanne laughed, reaching to brush away the stray blonde locks that had fallen into his dark indigo eyes. She couldn’t deny the flush of delight that hinted against the already rosy coloring of her cheeks when he offered her a genuine smile of amusement. “How’s your arm?”

“Itching like Layla gave me fleas,” he answered honestly, causing Layla to snort in derision before trotting off.

“Cute…” Roxanne laughed, somewhat startled by Josephina’s loud clearing of her throat. Pulling away from her private moment with Nick, she noticed Josephina gesture toward the dining room. Nodding in agreement, Roxanne took the arm that Nick offered, allowing him to lead her into the room and seat her.

“These two are already like ying and yang,” Josephina announced when Howie took his seat beside her. Reaching for the glass of wine he had poured her, she gasped with surprise and hurriedly set it down. “Where are my manners?! Roxanne, this is my boyfriend and Nick’s friend, Howie. Sweetheart, this is Roxanne, Nick’s—”

“Friend,” Nick hurriedly interrupted before Josephina could make any sort of mess. Whatever was brewing between Roxanne and himself was of his own accord. It was not made to be tampered with. Not yet.

“Damn, guess I really know where I stand now…” Roxanne breathed with a disappointed smile, though she squeezed Nick’s arm in reassurance when he sputtered to apologize. “I’ll just have to work harder to charm you.”

“So, how did you two meet?” Howie suddenly questioned, passing the salad along to Josephina before reaching for the steak he had grilled to perfection. He stabbed his fork outward until he hit meat, too focused on evaluating Roxanne. He kept his gaze upon Nick and Roxanne, debating on whether or not to approve of the romantic nature kindling between them. The smile on Nick’s face was unmistakable.

“I took care of Nick when he came into the Emergency Room,” Roxanne explained vaguely, helping to fix Nick’s plate when he spilled the pasta salad into his lap. She said nothing of his blunder, nor when he brushed off his lap for Layla to lick up the remains from the floor.

“So you’re a doctor?” Howie guessed, surprised that someone with her level of intelligence would be interested in a man who resigned in Florida.

“God no,” Roxanne snorted, “I’m far too qualified to be a doctor.”

“Then what do you do at the Emergency Room?”

“I’m a nurse.”

When Howie fell dumbstruck at her declaration that nurses were superior to physicians, Josephina cleared her throat and reached a hearty chunk of steak. She had never seen Howie act so disgruntled with guests and she made sure to poke him in the thigh with her fork to show her disapproval. “Nicky told me that you had all these fancy letters attached to the back of your name. What do they stand for?”

“Oh, well I got my master’s in nursing as a nurse clinician—”

“My God, how old are you?!” Josephina blurted without thought.

“I’m twenty-four…” Roxanne trailed with a small smile, proud of her accomplishments. “And I’m a certified S.A.N.E. nurse.” When everyone offered her a bewildered glance, she smiled apologetically. “That’s a sexual assault nurse examiner and I’ve also had extensive training in domestic violence. So, when any rape, suspected child abuse, or domestic violence cases come into the ER, I’m the one that guides them through the healthcare system.”

“God, why would you do something so horrifyingly depressing?” Howie scorned with surprise, jerking when the fork landed in his thigh once more.

“Because someone needs to look out for the lost sheep in this society and I’ve had personal experience in the area,” Roxanne answered honestly, with no means of hostility or judgment. Though, seeing the discomfort in her entertainers, she leaned toward Nick and gently poked his ribs. “Did I need to bring in my damn resume with a list of contacts and a urine sample or what?”

“Meet my foster parents, more of a pain in the ass than the originals,” Nick muttered, looking to Josephina and Howie with an exaggerated glare.

“We can’t help it! We’re naturally curious!” Josephina exclaimed when Howie busied himself with pushing heaping portions of food onto his plate. For being so charming with strangers at various benefits, he sure was flunking this meet-and-greet. "She can feel free to ask us any questions she wants!”

“How old are you?” Roxanne questioned, deciding to take full advantage of the opportunity.

“I’m twenty-nine and Howie is thirty-two.”

“What do you do for a living—”

Howie’s dark chocolate eyes widened in horror and he immediately turned to his beloved. “Jos, I think it’s time we just ate—”

Josephina shook her head in disappointment at Howie’s uproar. “Howie, we’ve badgered this poor girl and she has a right to know what our occupations are—”

“Fine, I’m an artist—”

“She already knows that!” Josephina groaned. “I’m a trained sexual therapist and a tantra educator.”

“Isn’t that usually termed nymphomaniac?” Roxanne teased when she noticed Howie immediately slouch within his seat in discomfort. Her aquamarine eyes electrified with curiosity while an impish smile played at her glossed lips. “Or is that kind of like how a cop is a law enforcement official?”

“She is not a nymphomaniac!” Howie blurted in horror.

“No, he is!” Josephina giggled, understanding the playful banter. “And I can show you my credentials if you like.”

“Are they inked on a condom wrapper? Or is that your business card?” Roxanne continued to jib.

Howie choked hard on his glass of wine. “Jesus have mercy—”

“How did you ever meet such a prude?” Roxanne finally laughed, shaking her head with disbelief when Howie lurched to clear the droplets of wine from the tablecloth. But upon hearing her question, he immediately fell back into his seat and looked petulantly toward his lover. “I just can’t see the need for a sex educator on the Backstreet Boy Tour, unless—”

“Don’t even,” Nick suddenly demanded, jabbing his fork in Josephina’s direction to quiet her. “Humiliate Howie with the story about how you two met. I can fuck myself over just fine without your stories.”

“Touchy,” Josephina pouted with disappointment, though she instantly brightened when she remembered the story she was given permission to share. “I met Howie—”

“Josephina Virginia Hernandez, I swear to God—”

“Then you can call and apologize to your mother later, Sweetheart,” Josephina promised, waving off Howie’s threat as if he were a mere gnat. “You see, Howie is the baby of his family. He has three older sisters and an older brother. His parents are both from large families too, so he has tons of cousins. Not to mention tons of nieces and nephews from the siblings. Anyway, one of his cousins was getting married and for a bachelorette party they wanted to be taught some tantric exercises for the bedroom as well as some toys that would be enjoyable. Adorable Howie, who was being such a sweetie, wanted to drop by a gift for his cousin. He walked in when I was demonstrating some of the more acrobatic moves and he’s been charmed ever since! Well, after he woke up from fainting that is...”

“Wow…” Roxanne whistled, holding a hand over her mouth to keep from laughing when Howie slid down into his seat in sheer mortification.

Uncomfortably clearing his throat when a long pause of silence stretched into what he thought was decades, Nick pushed himself away from the table. “As much as I enjoy listening to their sexual escapades, I think it’s time we take a walk, Roxanne.”