- Text Size +
“So?” Nick asked expectantly.
“So what?” Kevin asked, bewildered.
“Soooo…how was your date last night?”
“It was really nice.” Kevin responded with a small smile.
“It couldn’t have been that great if you woke up at home this morning.” Nick grinned and ducked as Kevin swung at his head.
“If only people really knew what you were like, Nick. I bet all those screaming teeny girls would like to know that sex is on your mind twenty four seven.”
Nick scratched his chin and donned a pensive expression. “I bet they would…”
“Uh huh”, Kevin replied, unconvinced.
“So are you seeing her again? Will there be another date?”
“Yes, most definitely. That is…if she wants to see me again.”
“Well did you call her and ask?”
“No, I forgot to get her phone number.”
“Are you stupid?” Nick raised his voice.
“Apparently so – yes.” Kevin replied with a groan.
“Dude! I don’t believe you! You meet this girl who you think is really nice.” Nick emphasized the really nice with his hands. “And you ask her out. You have a really nice time. You involuntarily smile every time she is mentioned and you forget to get her phone number? You are not smart enough to be my friend.”
“Very funny Nick. I know where she lives – I’ll just have to go and see her.”
“Well, what are you waiting for? Go, man go!” Nick stood up and grabbed Kevin by the wrists, pulling him into a standing position. Kevin opened his mouth to protest but knew that Nick would hear none of it. Besides, he was anxious to see Ellena again.

*******

Sunday was the only day that Ellena did not have to work at any of her three jobs. She was enjoying the afternoon sun on Mrs. Craig’s patio while Lacey pestered Sammy in the back yard.
“Mr. Reynolds asked about you again yesterday in my ballroom dance class.”
Mrs. Craig set her teacup down and giggled. “Ellena, now don’t you go playing matchmaker for an old biddy like me.”
Ellena had met Mrs. Craig at the very first ballroom dance class she had taught. Mrs. Craig had known almost as much as Ellena did. They quickly became friends despite their age differences. It was Mrs. Craig who let Ellena know of the vacancy in the apartment building across the street from her house when it came up. It was also Mrs. Craig who insisted that Lacey stay with her rather than being put in a day care. There wasn’t a day that went by without Ellena thanking her lucky stars that she had found a friend like Mrs. Craig. She had been the most reliable person in her life since her mother died. And she adored Lacey. Mrs. Craig did have grandchildren but they lived half way across the country. She would tell Ellena that Lacey kept her in the habit of spoiling children so she wouldn’t be out of practice when she went to visit her grandchildren.
“Mrs. Craig, I don’t think you’re an old biddy. Look at you! You are one sexy mama. You should come to the singles dance at the end of the month. You can come with me – I most likely won’t have a date and maybe you’ll leave with Mr. Reynolds.” Ellena wiggled her eyebrows at the other woman.
“Oh go on child!” Mrs. Craig admonished. “Why wouldn’t you have a date for yourself? What happened to the young man you saw on Thursday night?”
“I thought everything went well but he didn’t ask for my phone number and it’s been three days so I guess that fizzled quickly.”
“Where is that confidence that you had when I first met you Ellena? Don’t go getting yourself in a tizzy over nothing. Oh goodness! Look at the time. I’m sorry to cut our visit short but I must go get ready. I’m meeting Lil and Morty for martinis in an hour.”
“Martinis! On a Sunday evening? Mrs. Craig, I take back that comment about you being a sexy mama – you are with it girl!” Ellena snapped her fingers and waved her arm in front of her. “Lacey! Let’s go!”
Lacey scampered up the step to the patio and gave Mrs. Craig an ice cream kiss. “Bye Messes Craig!”
“Have a good time tonight!” Ellena smiled as she took Lacey by the hand.
“Oh I will dear. I’ll be over tomorrow at three to watch Lacey.”
Ellena and Lacey made their way across the street and in to their apartment building.

**************************

Kevin knocked on Ellena’s door for a third time. No answer. “Damn!” He muttered to himself trying to remember if she had said anything about working on Sundays. He was just about to leave when he heard the familiar cheerful chatter of Lacey coming up the stairs.
“Can we have grilled cheese for supper Lala? Can we please?” Lacey hopped onto the top step and waited for Ellena to catch up.
“Lacey, that’s all you ever eat. Grilled cheese for breakfast, grilled cheese for lunch, grilled cheese for a snack. Aren’t you tired of grilled cheese?” Ellena reached the top of the stairs and searched her pocket for her keys.
Lacey jumped up and down and giggled. “It’s my favourite! I love grilled cheese.” She ran down the hallway ahead of Ellena singing, “Grilled cheese, grilled cheese, it’s my faaaaaaaaaaave’rit in the whole wide world!”
“Well hello there!” Kevin smiled at Lacey when she came around the corner. Lacey stopped singing and looked him over wearily. Kevin knelt if front of her. “Are you still mad at me, Lacey? I’m sorry I hurt your feelings. I didn’t mean to lie to you.”
Lacey grinned at him and twirled around. “Do you want to hear my song? Grilled cheese, grilled cheeeeeeeeese. It’s my very very very very very faaaaaaaaaaaave’rit in the whole wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide world.” Ellena came around the corner just in time to see Kevin grab Lacey’s hands and dance with her in the corridor. She leaned against the wall and watched intently. Kevin started to sing Lacey’s song with her as they danced around. Ellena put her hand to her mouth to stifle a giggle. She didn’t want to interrupt this moment of pure innocence. A grown man, a very handsome one no less, singing about a sandwich and dancing in an apartment hallway with a three year old. How sweet can you get?