- Text Size +
“No!” Lacey reprimanded. “That dress is on backwards.” Lacey rifled through the mound of doll clothes on the floor and tossed a dress at Kevin. “This one is prettier.”
Kevin, once again, rolled his eyes and groaned. He held the dress in one hand and a naked Barbie doll in the other.
Ellena sneaked around the corner into the doorway of Lacey’s bedroom. Being careful not to be heard, she focussed her camera and clicked a picture. Kevin blinked at the flash, then swung around to face her just in time to see a few wisps of hair disappear around the door frame. He jumped up from his sitting position and yelled. “Oh no you didn’t!” He crossed the room in a single stride and looked into the hallway.
Ellena’s back was to him as she hurried towards the kitchen. She threw a devious smile over her shoulder. “I wonder what one of those teen pin-up magazines would give to see that!” She yelled. “I think I’ll – “ She ended the sentence with a shriek of surprise when she heard Kevin’s footsteps quicken on the hardwood. He followed her down the hall and into the living room. Ellena ran past the fireplace and knocked her shin against the coffee table. Kevin took the opportunity to grab her shirt. Ellena screamed again and yanked her shirt free from his grasp.
“I’ll get you!” Kevin grinned as Ellena ran around a chair.
By this time Lacey had caught up to them and was jumping up and down clapping. “Run Lala! Hurry!”, she cheered from the side of the room. Ellena threw two cushions at Kevin, hitting him square in the face but not succeeding in slowing him down. Kevin chased Ellena around the room three times when she finally stopped with the couch between them. She was laughing so hard she could barely speak. She held her hand up.
“Okay truce okay? I give. I give!” Her eyes widened comically as Kevin leapt over the back of the couch and grabbed her around the waist. She tried to back away from him. She wasn’t quick enough to get away but he was quick enough to catch her as she lost her footing. His strong arms tightened around her waist as she felt her back come against the wall. Ellena closed her eyes and breathed in the scent of him. Kevin steadied himself with both hands against the wall and leaned into her. Their bodies touched as their breath mingled.
“This will teach you.” Kevin whispered huskily. He bent his head to claim his prize. DING! The timer on the oven rang interrupting him before his lips touched hers.
“Oh goody!” Lacey cheered. “Pizza pizza pizza!”
Ellena’s eyes flew open to stare directly into his. She arched one eyebrow mischievously and smiled. “Saved by the bell!” She whispered, ducked under his arm and out of his grasp. Kevin groaned and sagged against the wall.
“What do you say Munchkin?” Ellena followed Lacey into the kitchen. “Are you hungry?”
Kevin heard Lacey sing about how yummy the pizza would be as he made his way to the kitchen. Ellena avoided eye contact with him while she cut the pizza and put everything on the table. She knew that she would blush a hundred shades of red if she looked at him. Kevin kept the small smile on his lips as he watched Ellena pretend to be un-flustered.
“Kevin!” Lacey grinned. “You can sit aside me at supper!”
“I’d love to!” Kevin took a seat next to Lacey just as Ellena took hers.
“Kevin caught you Lala! Next time you hasta run faster!” Lacey advised between bites of pizza.
Ellena blushed and flipped Lacey’s pigtail. “Yes, next time I’ll have to run faster.”
Kevin never took his eyes from Ellena as he replied to Lacey. “Ellena can run as fast as she can but I will still catch her.” He meant it in more ways than one.

Two hours later, they were settled in the living room watching Aladdin. Ellena had strategically placed Lacey between her and Kevin on the couch, much to Kevin’s chagrin. Lacey had her knees curled up nearly to her chin with her head on Ellena’s lap and her arm around her bunny.
“Don’t you think this part would have more appeal if the song was Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf instead of this sappy Whole New World bit?” Ellena asked Kevin.
Kevin chuckled. “That would definitely make it more interesting.”
Lacey whimpered and shifted her little body. Kevin’s arm shot out and caught her before she fell to the floor. Ellena giggled as Lacey mumbled something inaudible and remained asleep.
“Looks like this one needs to go to bed.” Ellena stood up and gathered Lacey into her arms. “I’ll be back.” She smiled at Kevin and took Lacey to her room.
Kevin watched Ellena disappear down the hall and sighed. She was so amazing to him. He wanted to know everything about her. What was the story of her mysterious past? Why was he so drawn to her? Why wouldn’t she let him kiss her earlier in the living room? She had been so close that he could smell the lavender in her hair. He had been so close. Kevin ran his hands through his hair and cursed the timer on the oven out loud.
“Is everything all right?” Ellena re-entered the living room hearing Kevin’s stream of obscenities.
“Oh yes, I’m fine. I was just thinking out loud.” Kevin replied.
Ellena giggled. “It is way too late in the day to be thinking at all.” She leaned across the couch to the end table and opened the drawer. She took out a pen and paper, wrote something down and handed it to Kevin.
He read it and smiled. “Is this a hint?”
“No, it’s just in case you want to come over and play Barbies with Lacey again. You can call me first.” She replied with a grin.
Kevin rolled his eyes and put the phone number in his pocket. “I should be going. I have a hellish week scheduled.” They both got up and walked to the door.
“So do I.” Ellena countered. “I have dance team practice tomorrow afternoon and then another dance class in the evening. My boss at the club has been bugging me to pick up an extra shift during the week.”
“And you don’t want to?” Kevin asked.
“Not really. Lacey is left with a sitter enough as it is and Mrs. Craig doesn’t have the energy to keep her more than she already is.”
“So why don’t you just tell him you can’t take the extra shift?”
“It’s not that easy Kevin.” Ellena frowned. Kevin was about to question her but decided against it. Ellen changed the subject. “If you ever feel like eating pizza monsters and watching cartoons, you know where to find me.”
Kevin brought his hand up to rest against Ellena’s cheek. She closed her eyes and leaned in to him. He bent his head and kissed her gently. Ellena raised up on her toes to deepen the pressure of the kiss. She slid her arms around his neck and brought herself closer to his chest. Kevin pulled his lips away from hers and trailed kisses along her jaw line. A soft moan escaped Ellena’s throat.
Kevin straightened and gave Ellena one last kiss. “I really should be going now.”
“Yes, you should.” She replied breathlessly.
“Good night Ellena.” Kevin whispered, opened the door and left.
Ellena returned to living room and turned off the movie and VCR. Her mind replayed what Kevin had said at dinner. Ellena can run as fast as she can but I will still catch her. His double meaning had not been lost on her. If only he knew, she thought, if only.